THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: World Cup 2014 - Brazil (/showthread.php?tid=1374)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Fitz - 06-10-2014 06:49 AM

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - lloyd mayflower - 06-10-2014 07:37 AM

Cant fucking wait. Love the World Cup. Best show on earth.

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Snoop - 06-10-2014 11:17 AM

Ok. I'm going to totally be the asshole for a minute that just shits all over this thread and makes it political, but FUCK this World Cup. Seriously. It is a fucking joke. It is a giant slap in the face of humanity. It is a fucking disgrace what they have done to this city in preparation for this thing, and the money they've spent? More than 11 billion? That's a huge "FUCK YOU" to the population of Brazil when shit over here is in complete fucking ruins for the vast majority of people. Like I know it's bad taste to bring in politics into things meant to be light-hearted, like why can't I just calm down? It's because it's really gotten to the point where this is incorrigible, like fuck pleasantries, this shit needs to be said. They've drastically changed this country that has literally cost lives, like people are DYING because of some of the changes they've made in country (or at least in Rio, where I'm living now), so after all of that, to fucking go out and have a celebration, is a bit insulting.

(Feel free to completely ignore this post and go on talking about the tournament. I won't be offended. I just needed to say something.)

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - lloyd mayflower - 06-10-2014 11:39 AM

Nah Snoop the unrest in Brazil is certainly being well covered over here. Sad fact is these events cause the majority of countries who host them money that they shouldnt be spending or in some cases, outright cant afford.

But dammit, I do love football......................so move your negative ass across to a more fitting thread, like the fuck Broner one, where it can be put to better use!!!!

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Snoop - 06-10-2014 12:13 PM

(06-10-2014 11:39 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Nah Snoop the unrest in Brazil is certainly being well covered over here. Sad fact is these events cause the majority of countries who host them money that they shouldnt be spending or in some cases, outright cant afford.

But dammit, I do love football......................so move your negative ass across to a more fitting thread, like the fuck Broner one, where it can be put to better use!!!!

LOL. Fair enough. I mean these events historically cause problems, i.e. South Africa, China (Olympics), but I've never seen it as bad as it's been in Brazil. They basically never should have won the bid. Their infrastructure just can't handle TWO, let alone one, event like this. I'll probably start a parallel thread, cuz football lovers shouldn't be subject to my ranting. After all, it's not the event or the sport that I'm angry with, it's the whole perfect shitstorm of it all.

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - lloyd mayflower - 06-10-2014 12:18 PM

Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your outlook (bit of both for you I suppose given your journalism skills, but also that you are very close) you are probably only becoming aware of the extent of the damage this type of thing can cause because of your proximity to it. For all they report the unrest, the personal damage done is something you have to be there to see.

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Snoop - 06-10-2014 12:31 PM

(06-10-2014 12:18 PM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your outlook (bit of both for you I suppose given your journalism skills, but also that you are very close) you are probably only becoming aware of the extent of the damage this type of thing can cause because of your proximity to it. For all they report the unrest, the personal damage done is something you have to be there to see.

Yeah I'm certainly aware of the personal bias that can be created when you're too close to a situation, and I'm doing my best to be objective through the whole thing. But no, really, this shit is wrong. I'd go as far as to say that it's a crime against humanity. But again, it's not the Games themselves. I think it's a beautiful thing to see a bunch of drunk crazy fans sitting across from each other at a bar, shit talking one minute, then hugging the next over some beers. It really can be a thing to bring people together. It just shouldn't have been held here. That's all.

BTW, I went ahead and started another thread so we can move the discussion there. I probably should have done that from the beginning, so sorry Fitz for kinda shitting on this thread so early on. Y'all should have the right to enjoy this thing without my crazy ranting. It also doesn't help that I kinda don't know anything about football. But yeah. We live and we learn I suppose.

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Fitz - 06-10-2014 05:43 PM

Chile vs Australia in a few days. Going to enjoy this one, going to watch it with a lot of my family and going to have 2 teams to support Smile

Who are the dark horses of this World Cup?

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Mean Mister Mustard - 06-10-2014 10:32 PM

(06-10-2014 05:43 PM)Fitz Wrote:  Chile vs Australia in a few days. Going to enjoy this one, going to watch it with a lot of my family and going to have 2 teams to support Smile

Who are the dark horses of this World Cup?

Belgium is being touted as the dark horse, this despite some luster having been taken off their mantle after a loss to Japan in a friendly last year. They recently beat Tunisia 1-0 and Sweden 2-0, which has restored some fate in their supporters. I personally don't know how far they will go. I remember the Czech Republic being highly rated by the often-criticized Fifa ratings going into the 06' world cup. They started off well by beating the U.S 3-0 but then faltered against Italy and Ghana. Just because a national side has a lot of good players does not mean that they will succeed or play well together. That being said, I am very curious to see how they play.

There's also been a slew of injuries coming into the tournament, the most notable being Colombia's Falcao, and France's Ribery who are key players that will not be playing. Fucking sucks.

I'm also interested to see how Russia plays. They finished ahead of Portugal in the European qualifying, though only by goal difference I believe, but they seem like a solid team. It also doesn't hurt that they have Fabio Capello as their coach. Apparently he has dipped into the the national ranks for a lot of young players to play in this world cup in order to prepare a squad for the 2018 World cup that will be held in Russia.

RE: World Cup 2014 - Brazil - lloyd mayflower - 06-11-2014 04:15 AM

MMM, Belgium are a top side no doubt about it. Seen it first hand against Scotland they were night and day in all areas of the pitch. There has been murmurs of a disharmony in their squad which reflects a disharmony in Belgium itself (Im told) between the black and white players, similar to the problems that have plagued the Dutch over the years. This disharmony doesnt seem to have materialised on the pitch tho. The biggest test for them is purely that this current "golden generation" of players they have has never gone to a tournament before as a legit force so lets see how they handle the pressure and the tournament environment. Knockout football is a different kettle of fish... I dont think they can win it, but they can have a say in who does as it would be no surprise if they scalped a big team or two.

I think Falcao is touch and go isn't he? Not sure on that, although I'd hope Columbia will have learned from Atletico Madrids grave error of gambling on Diego Costas fitness int he champions league final. Luis Suarez aswell will be touch and go. I need him fit so he can hopefully destroy England!!!

Anyway, my money is on the Germans. They have hands down the best 23 man squad and if they can perform in the heat they will be very hard to beat.