THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix (/showthread.php?tid=1474)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - blackbelt2003 - 08-08-2014 12:34 PM

Apparently Taylor is getting first crack at IBF champ Sam Soliman, it's being reported on Fightnews.com

I don't think Soliman is stopping Taylor, and since Taylor usually does well in fights before falling apart late when he gets tagged, he might actually do OK in this one.

If Taylor does win, he becomes a relevant option for Cotto/GGG. Thoughts?

Black

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - Romulus9 - 08-08-2014 12:56 PM

Here's my first thought.

My second thought, I am in the process of negotiating a short notice fight between two of the best known names in heavyweight boxing in the last two decades and it is one of the most ridiculous, stupid, insane, unnecessary things in the history of boxing. How in the world I'm involved, I don't know. What's worse is that I'm fairly certain it will happen, either on short notice or on the event I'm having after the first of the year. Which makes me do this....

But then I come back to Taylor and Soliman and I wonder how this came to be... until I remember that it's boxing and boxing is nothing but insanity. Taylor had Carl Froch beat and couldn't run for three minutes. Abraham starched him. He's done nothing since. He beat a prospect. He's won a fight here and there. I just have trouble seeing Taylor beating a guy who just beat Felix Sturm, even the current version of Sturm, in Sturm's backyard, and who has remained active while Taylor has been intermittent.

If he wins, he becomes the best possible option for either Cotto or Golovkin. How could he not? Low risk, high reward, big name, plenty of attention. Just how it is.

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - Decagon - 08-08-2014 01:00 PM

Taylor took Caleb Truax's "0." He's won four straight, and he's a former World Middleweight Champion. He's only lost one bout at 160, I think.

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN - 08-08-2014 01:53 PM

Caleb also had Taylor laid out on the canvas in the 8th round. At least Solomon doesn't have a ton of power and wins fights on activity. He hasn't looked good the past few years, and he isn't getting any younger.

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - blackbelt2003 - 08-08-2014 02:03 PM

I agree Taylor isn't that good and isn't that relevant...but with the whole styles makes fights thing, if he's gonna be relevant again, Sam Soliman is his ticket.

Stick Taylor in with anyone who can punch and they lay Jermain out. Soliman doesn't have that quality...and Taylor doesn't often get outboxed, even in the fights he lost.

Black

And Rom...you need to give more info. Can we get the full story instead of teasers?

Black

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - Romulus9 - 08-08-2014 02:08 PM

(08-08-2014 02:03 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I agree Taylor isn't that good and isn't that relevant...but with the whole styles makes fights thing, if he's gonna be relevant again, Sam Soliman is his ticket.

Stick Taylor in with anyone who can punch and they lay Jermain out. Soliman doesn't have that quality...and Taylor doesn't often get outboxed, even in the fights he lost.

Black

And Rom...you need to give more info. Can we get the full story instead of teasers?

Black

One condition.

Stays on our board and goes no further.

Shannon Briggs. About to discuss things with the manager of Hasim Rahman. IBF has approved it for a regional title. Bout is short notice, would be on August 23rd here in West Virginia, a card that's already stacked and we've been working on for months. Couple of state and regional title fights on there already. I have two fighters competing, I'm co-matchmaker and do a lot of other things for the company. Hoping Briggs is in action no matter what but Rahman is in play for now. If he declines, going to go forward. That fight could happen on one of our future events, Briggs and his Klitschko mess pending.

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - Method - 08-08-2014 02:45 PM

Rom - you are cool and I respect you!

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - Romulus9 - 08-08-2014 02:53 PM

I may have just pulled the deal of the century in boxing in my state.

Not gonna happen on August 23. But it may be happening. Stay tuned........

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - ROLLDEEP - 08-08-2014 04:23 PM

Rom is THE coolest poster on the board. Fact.

RE: Looks like Jermain Taylor is Back in the Mix - the ollie reed fan club - 08-08-2014 06:12 PM

(08-08-2014 02:53 PM)Romulus9 Wrote:  I may have just pulled the deal of the century in boxing in my state.

Not gonna happen on August 23. But it may be happening. Stay tuned........

And THIS is why we do need a front page of sorts, if only so we can post this sort of stuff up. I repeat to Spyder again is there any way we can tack on some kind of main page that this sort of stuff can get loaded to? News, the odd article from guys who write on here etc? If it costs I don't mind chipping in.

Great work Rom, I really hope this comes off for you.