THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII (/showthread.php?tid=1486)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - blackbelt2003 - 08-16-2014 07:10 AM

There were some good moments in 1-3. The final Darth Maul three way battle in Phantom Menace actually FELT like proper Star Wars.

And whilst the second one blew chunks of dried goat jizz, the third one was damned fun.

I'm psyched for the return of the sci fi king.

Black

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - lloyd mayflower - 08-16-2014 07:29 AM

The third was fucking awesome. Lets put aside star wars puristness or purism or whatever the fuck the right word was. The way that shit played out in episode 3 was fantastic.
Lucas's vision was for 1-6. THAT is star wars. The whole lot. Theres no room for writing off 50% of the story here. Thats not our decision to make. You might not like parts of the journey. But you need to travel it anyway.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Fitz - 08-16-2014 09:57 AM

I know I haven't watched any Star Wars, but not I get fucking confused. I never know when people are talking about the original ones or the ones that came out in the late 90's(?) or 2000's whenever they started making prequels. Or where to start if I ever decide to get around to watching them. I would probably just start from the release dates.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Warlord - 08-16-2014 10:39 AM

Yes you have, lol. Star Wars was just episodes IV-VI for decades. That's all Star Wars ever was. That's what me and tons of other Star Wars fans grew up with.

Since then, I've supported everything they've done with the franchise. I saw all the special editions at the cinema multiple times, despite some of the questionable decisions Lucas made with them.

And as for the prequels, I supported them too. I waited in line for hours next to hardcore geeks to see each one on a special midnight showing. I defended them from other fans that (rightfully) called them out for their numerous flaws. But enough years have gone by now for me to be honest. The prequels were shit. They don't fit the canon, and some of the story aspects were just flat out dumb. (Midichlorians, Darth Vader busting off the medical thing like Frankenstein's monster shouting "No!!!!!!!!!!!!")

There were some great scenes in the prequels (Darth Maul was the best thing of the three), but overall they were shit, and they did a tremendous disservice to the spirit of the franchise. And it's okay to say they were shit. They always will be shit. And it's okay to say that too.

I just hope, now that Disney has the reigns, that the original trilogy gets released on Blu-Ray unaltered, unedited, and un-lucasfied.

I also have faith that with Lucas near completely out of the picture, people that grew up with the franchise and respect it will now work on future films and treat them with the love and care they deserve.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Snoop - 08-16-2014 02:37 PM

After the success of the first three, Lucas supposedly claimed that he had actually written the story for nine (at least that's what my high-school mythology teacher told me), which I've always found suspicious. Probably explains why the prequels sucked balls.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Warlord - 08-16-2014 03:00 PM

Yeah, that's always been the myth. But some of the people that worked on the early films (like Lawrence Kasdan) have basically (and unintentionally) shit all over that claim by talking about how hard it was coming up with a script for Empire, because Lucas had no idea that a sequel would ever be made.

Lucas did have a set of early notes somewhere, but much of it was reworked or abandoned altogether. The myth that he had nine scripts done in advance is just that - a myth.

Actually Lloyd, it is our decision to make. It's every fan's decision to make.

IV-VI stand up perfectly well on their own, and did so for decades. I don't begrudge anyone that enjoys the prequels, and I don't hate them. I just don't enjoy them. To me they have no connection to the franchise I grew up with, just like none of the EU stuff had a connection. It's fun and ocassionally interesting, but not essential. Not to me, anyway.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Snoop - 08-16-2014 04:26 PM

(08-16-2014 03:00 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Yeah, that's always been the myth. But some of the people that worked on the early films (like Lawrence Kasdan) have basically (and unintentionally) shit all over that claim by talking about how hard it was coming up with a script for Empire, because Lucas had no idea that a sequel would ever be made.

Lucas did have a set of early notes somewhere, but much of it was reworked or abandoned altogether. The myth that he had nine scripts done in advance is just that - a myth.

I probably worded my response weirdly, but what I meant to say is that my high school mythology teacher was basically saying he made up the whole "I had nine scripts planned" only because he saw the $$$ coming in from the first three.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Decagon - 08-16-2014 05:29 PM

Well, when Star Wars was re-released in the 1970s, the opening credits were changed to read "Episode IV."

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Warlord - 08-16-2014 06:13 PM

(08-16-2014 05:29 PM)Decagon Wrote:  Well, when Star Wars was re-released in the 1970s, the opening credits were changed to read "Episode IV."

Yeah, it kind of goes back to what Snoop and I were saying. Once Star Wars became a massive hit, everything changed. Star Wars didn't become "Episode IV: A New Hope" until a year after Empire hit the screens. And Lucas's reasoning for the roman numerals wasn't really indicative of him having a back story, it was his homage to the old Republic serials he'd watched as a kid. (He tried to capture this serial style of filming again with Raiders of the Lost Ark.)

As I said earlier, Lucas certainly did have a notebook full of ideas about the Star Wars universe, there's no denying that. In fact, they've just started releasing the Star Wars in comic book format, which is based on Lucas's original notes.

But this idea that he had 9 scripts in the bag before he ever started working on Star Wars (ANH) is a myth. He didn't even have the Empire Strikes Back written, that's why Lawrence Kasdan was brought in.

The clincher can be found in George's own words. After the conclusion of Lost, Lucas sent a letter to the show's writers to congratulate them. Here is the relevant portion of that letter: "Don't tell anyone ... but when 'Star Wars' first came out, I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories - let's call them homages - and you've got a series."

Of course none of this really matters. The (original/REAL) Star Wars trilogy is still probably the best movie saga in the history of cinema, in spite all of Mr. Lucas's recent efforts. And Mr. Lucas himself, in his prime, was a master story-teller.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Snoop - 08-16-2014 10:07 PM

(08-16-2014 06:13 PM)Warlord Wrote:  
(08-16-2014 05:29 PM)Decagon Wrote:  Well, when Star Wars was re-released in the 1970s, the opening credits were changed to read "Episode IV."

The clincher can be found in George's own words. After the conclusion of Lost, Lucas sent a letter to the show's writers to congratulate them. Here is the relevant portion of that letter: "Don't tell anyone ... but when 'Star Wars' first came out, I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories - let's call them homages - and you've got a series."

LOL. Did he really say that? Smoking gun if I've ever seen one. Shit, he summed it up better than his critics could.