THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII (/showthread.php?tid=1486)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Warlord - 08-16-2014 10:08 PM

(08-16-2014 10:07 PM)Snoop Wrote:  
(08-16-2014 06:13 PM)Warlord Wrote:  
(08-16-2014 05:29 PM)Decagon Wrote:  Well, when Star Wars was re-released in the 1970s, the opening credits were changed to read "Episode IV."

The clincher can be found in George's own words. After the conclusion of Lost, Lucas sent a letter to the show's writers to congratulate them. Here is the relevant portion of that letter: "Don't tell anyone ... but when 'Star Wars' first came out, I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories - let's call them homages - and you've got a series."

LOL. Did he really say that? Smoking gun if I've ever seen one. Shit, he summed it up better than his critics could.

Yeah, he wrote that to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse after the conclusion of Lost.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - TheTeddyBear - 08-17-2014 09:18 AM

love this stuff Captain Kirk is the MAN..........ohh wait......

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - salvador - 08-17-2014 03:12 PM

(08-16-2014 07:29 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  The third was fucking awesome. Lets put aside star wars puristness or purism or whatever the fuck the right word was. The way that shit played out in episode 3 was fantastic.
Lucas's vision was for 1-6. THAT is star wars. The whole lot. Theres no room for writing off 50% of the story here. Thats not our decision to make. You might not like parts of the journey. But you need to travel it anyway.

I totally disagree.

That's like saying that the Godfather Part 3 has anything to do with the Godfather 1 and 2 - which it absolutely doesn't.

Young men build empires and old men try to maintain them. Sometimes old men are smart enough to sell or quit when they are past it. Same thing in boxing. Lucas sold about 10 years past his prime, but at least he sold.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - BGv4.0 - 08-19-2014 12:55 AM

You know, I think fanboys (of which I am one) totally rip on the prequels WAY TOO MUCH!

They knit pick to a level that only adults could OR would do. Which is why I think it is unfair to totally rip into them as total shit. Much of the love of STAR WARS comes from it taking place in most people's youth. Those aspects are all but dried up by the time men and women reach their 30-40s....so it's unfair to compare a beloved childhood film trilogy with it's prequels that came out when you were mean, pissed off, overworked, bitter adults.....of course you will find fault in it.

I can assure there are millions of kids of say 20-25 today that have the same warm and fuzzy feelings for the prequels that those of us older fans have for the 3 original films.

Sure there were some things I did not care for in the 3 prequels...but I'll gladly take that in stride to see some of the things that they showed us...like what a badass Yoda is, you were led to believe that from the originals...but to see it first had was awesome! Also to see Vader transform....people always rip on the step down/NOOOOOO aspect. But that was Lucas doing what he has always done an homage to things he loved as a kid...in this case Frankenstein. And...in a bit of geek boy defense, the novel about Vader after he was put into the suit explains how uncomfortable and bulky and difficult he found it to be at first....so the heavy step off the med table actually portrays this pretty well.

With all of the STAR WARS films....you just have to enjoy them for what they are...if you put too much thought and comparison into you will ALWAYS ruin it for yourself.

As for these new ones....I was a bit put off with Disney taking the reigns....but when they announced the original cast being a part of it...I was sold. I'm not a fan of what JJ did with Star Trek so I hope he don't go in that direction with it....but I'll give them a shot. I'm already a bit put off with the look of the new cartoon coming out called Rebels....in comparison with Clone Wars it does not look as good to me...but I know it's aimed at kids...so it is what it is.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Warlord - 08-19-2014 02:09 AM

I can't wait for Rebels.

As for the prequels, like I said, I don't hate them. I just don't enjoy them. That's just it. I'm not downing anyone that likes them. And there is stuff to love; Darth Maul is/was the shit.

The bottom line for me is that I just don't consider the movies canon in my personal Star Wars canon. When I watch Star Wars, or introduce it to my kid, the prequels won't be part of it. They'll be something I touch on uncomfortably on down the road, along with sex and masturbation.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - lloyd mayflower - 08-19-2014 02:27 AM

Some of my favourite content of all six films happens in the prequels. I love the jedi council. I love seeing them in their former power before they were taken down and like BG said, yoda was awesome. I also felt aside from some bad acting, Anakins downfall was really good

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Method - 08-19-2014 05:21 AM

I thought the whole pathology of Anakin>Vadar was pathetic. It really detracted from what we thought/taught of the original Darth Vadar character (as depicted in episodes IV-VI).

Instead of being the badass that we were introduced to, it really turns out that Vadar (or Anakin, rather) was a weak minded, manipulated fool. A puppet who got played.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - the ollie reed fan club - 08-19-2014 05:41 AM

(08-19-2014 02:27 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Some of my favourite content of all six films happens in the prequels. I love the jedi council. I love seeing them in their former power before they were taken down and like BG said, yoda was awesome. I also felt aside from some bad acting, Anakins downfall was really good

But that's the thing, when watching Vader as a kid it gave me this creepy feeling of fear and trepidation and a large part of that was that I didn't know what was behind the mask. As it turns out (if we watch the prequels) he was a borderline homosexual looking dude that resembled a young hipster. Think of it this way, say you showed a kid Star Wars all 6 of them in the 'proper' order. By the time you get through to movies 4-6 how much fear would that kid have for Vader? I don't care what anyone says that sense of trepidation for Vader was central to my love of the original Star Wars. Seeing him as young pimply faced kid is like an illusionist showing you how a certain magic trick works. I actually don't want to know.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - BGv4.0 - 08-19-2014 12:07 PM

Oh I totally agree that you have to view the original trilogy to get that sense of dred from Vader.

and remember...he was not a young hipster dude when he went in the suit....he was a crispy hate filled quadriplegic. Growing old in it and it actually growing onto his skin over time. By the time Luke sees him as an old man, some of the mask and suit. Have actually fused with him.

for sure current generations that have never seen the films are faced with a tough decision....see the original series and then the prequels OR see them in their proper order. My kids will have no choice in the matter.....its originals first.

RE: Mark Hamill looking pretty bad-ass for Star Wars Episode VII - Method - 08-19-2014 01:43 PM

Totally originals first.

On another note, I really wish they'd do a Game of Thrones PrequelL: The Tywin Lanister Chronicles.