THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. (/showthread.php?tid=1535)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Mean Mister Mustard - 09-23-2014 10:56 PM

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/more-on-canelos-return-to-hbo-262185

This is a blow to Showtime, who for a time it seemed, had the upper hand over HBO after Mayweather flocked over to their lands. Now however, DLH has extended the olive branch to Arum, after having cleaned house over at GBP and realizing that Haymon was getting a little more involved with his fighters than anticipated.

Hopkins is back at HBO and so is Canelo who is looking to tangle with Cotto next year in what would be one of the biggest bouts of the year. Once they start fighting again, they will have Chavez Jr, Mikey Garcia and Andre Ward on their stable along with Kovalev, GGG, Pacquiao, JMM and Rios. All of a sudden HBO isn't looking so bad anymore.

Meanwhile Showtime is devoid of big name attractions, and their main one has noticeably slowed down and is close to retirement.

So what does this mean for Showtime? Who can they bank on to do a big PPV event? Does he even bother to fight in May if Cotto-Alvarez takes place on that same date? Things are getting interesting here, and with DLH, Arum and HBO possibly getting into business again, this could spell good news for us boxing fans.

Remember back in 07-09 when GBP and Arum were working together and we had a slew of good competitive fights including JMM-Pacquiao II, Cotto-Mosley, Mosley-Margarito, Pacquiao-Hatton etc? Hopefully we see something similar here.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Dickagon - 09-23-2014 11:23 PM

I bet a big part of this is Canelo making a run at ppv. He can't do that with Floyd's deal with Showtime, Floyd will get first choice. With HBO they need a ppv star since Pac is fighting outside the US and Canelo can start getting big ppv dates. I'd like to see them fuck Floyd and counter program with Cotto/Canelo with a stacked undercard. At this point I bet he gets more buys

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Byrd Man - 09-24-2014 03:43 AM

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing who wins the PPV battle, if they go head to head.

If it's Canelo vs. Cotto in May and Canelo vs. GGG in September, I don't know WHO Floyd could fight, short of Manny, that would make him a better option than either of those two fights.

HBO scored massively with this, and may sweep the two PPV fights in a head to head with Floyd. I think Floyd's asshole comment of "he can fight in Mexico" as if Floyd is dictating when and where Canelo fights, pushed Canelo to say fuck him and then the move to HBO after a "Verbal agreement" (according to Sho)

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Method - 09-24-2014 05:03 AM

Couple that w the fact that Floyd just threw SHO under the bus w the "All Access is fake" BS, and you got yourself an issue. Fake or not, Floyd, whether on All Access or 24/7 has become a rerun. And how is SHO gonna put him on there again?

Canelo/Cotto in May trumps ANY fight out there w Floyd that can be made, incl Paq.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - salvador - 09-24-2014 08:22 AM

It'll be really interesting to see if Golden Boy actually comes out a big long time winner here - especially after Arum dies. Is it even possible that Schaefer gets left out in the cold?

Cotto-Alvarez is the biggest fight in the sport and Alvarez-Pac could be pretty damn entertaining as well - much more action than Floyd-Pac.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Method - 09-24-2014 08:58 AM

No. Its not possible Schaefer gets left out in the cold. Schaefer is going to be aligned w Mayweather and/or Haymon.

Thing is, I think Mayweather will ultimately wind up the puppet/mascot much like Oscar used to be at Golden Boy. He'll be the face of TMT Promotions, but they'll keep him out of the boardroom. He's just not that smart.

Only way Schaefer gets left out in the cold is if he loses this lawsuit, which looks, at least on paper, extremely possible.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - salvador - 09-24-2014 10:02 AM

I don't think Schaefer would have been stupid enough to leave Golden Boy if he thought that non-compete clause was enforceable unless he thought Golden Boy was going to close. I'd like to know if Schaefer is reevaluating his decision now that DLH has decided to work with Arum.

Maybe he's going to be a manager rather than a promoter.

I don't think Floyd is going to be a long term player in the promotional business. I can't see him adding any value once he is out of boxing - unless he is just picking up the bills. Nobody wants his name associated with a company in the way that they want DLH's.

And Al Haymon doesn't seem to need anyone's help - particularly not someone who is going to expect such a big piece of the pie.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Byrd Man - 09-24-2014 02:56 PM

Re: the Non Compete.

I think both sides know that this will get settled and he'll have to stay away for a little while, maybe a year and then he'll come back. He's supposedly under contract til 2018, but no way Oscar holds him to that and refuses to settle.

They'll come to some agreement where GoldenBoy get compensated in some way as far as co-promotional considerations on future fights wherever he goes (Haymon/Floyd's side most likely) or a hefty payment or something like that.

And then in a year's time, he'll be doing the CEO job that Ellerbe was getting paid to do, only he'll be paid much much more for it than Ellerbe was, that 1% fee he was getting.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Dickagon - 09-24-2014 05:57 PM

Schaefer was fucking GBP. That clause was probably so he can't keep fucking them. But Haymon is a manager and isn't trying to be a promoter, right now he's got dudes picking up the tab for deals he gets. Like if Broner fights GBP pays for the promotion, Haymon just negotiates and gets his cut.

RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO. - Mean Mister Mustard - 12-03-2014 03:46 PM

http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-reveals-terms-being-discussed-cotto--84901

Apparently Alvarez wants a catchweight of 155 pounds for the Cotto fight. I hope that this is just a rumor because I like Alvarez and I fucking hate catchweights. This would not fall in exactly the same category of what Mayweather did to him, since I think Alvarez struggled to make the 152 pound catchweight, while Cotto can still make 154. Still, I see it as a diva move and I am really tired of these guys refusing to fight within the real classes.