THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Method - 12-07-2011 06:49 AM

Lil-Lightsout Wrote:Margarito chased and chased and missed and missed, while Cotto moved and constantly counterpunched and outboxed him. This is boxing afterall.
Margarito landed 25 power shots alone in the 9th round.

Anyway, to be clear, Im not angry that MArgarito didn't get a chance to knock him out. This is boxing. You cant get mad that one guy didnt stand still just because the other guy is a brawler.

I just took exception to the stoppage when, according to a lot of people I converse with, Margarito's eye at the end of the 9th was no worse off at the end of the 5th or 6th.

As for the ring generalship, I'll let the ringside analyst's comments say it all, especially as the fight wore on. The fight really wasn't much different than the first fight, cept for the eye.

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Lil-Lightsout - 12-07-2011 07:12 AM

Method Wrote:
Lil-Lightsout Wrote:Margarito chased and chased and missed and missed, while Cotto moved and constantly counterpunched and outboxed him. This is boxing afterall.

Anyway, to be clear, Im not angry that MArgarito didn't get a chance to knock him out. This is boxing. You cant get mad that one guy didnt stand still just because the other guy is a brawler.

I just took exception to the stoppage when, according to a lot of people I converse with, Margarito's eye at the end of the 9th was no worse off at the end of the 5th or 6th.

As for the ring generalship, I'll let the ringside analyst's comments say it all, especially as the fight wore on. The fight really wasn't much different than the first fight, cept for the eye.
I watched a stream, which worked great for the first 8 rounds and the whole undercard. The beginning of the 9th round it stopped and I missed most of it and when it came back they stopped the fight. So in fairness I should have never scored it since I truly did not watch it entirely. But I gave that round to Cotto since they stopped it after the round. But if Margs did actually land 25 punches...

From what I recall the team that called the streams fight gave pretty much every round to Cotto, not positive though, and were giving Cotto props. for his strategy.

I will say this on ring generalship, and I know we will not agree. In my view Cotto controlled Margs for the most part and outboxed him smartly. Margs on the other hand showed aggression, but mostly ineffective, until from what the numbers you provided in the 9th round. I just did not see anything leading up to the 9th round where Margarito showed any ring genealrship. Maybe some would call it running, but I honestly thought Cotto showed great footwork counterpunching him, and rarely giving Tony a chance to plant his feet and get off on the inside.

I am not sure about what round it was, maybe the end of the 8th? The doctors stepped in and looked at the eye and I thought they said they would give him another round? Which would have been the 9th, and then after the 9th round then they stopped it. I had a stream so my audio was not the best. Again I could be wrong, but I just thought at one point they said to him one more round.

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - ViperSniper - 12-07-2011 07:17 AM

Method Wrote:

Method, I really can't see this one here at all! Based on everything already pointed out, I gotta ask which fight you and the ringside analyst's were watching?? The only thing that was the same about this fight, was the names of both fighters that fought inside the ring!

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Fitz - 12-07-2011 07:30 AM

I think Method is right that there were similarities. Margarito still had a lot of gas in the tank, and Cotto was tiring. Though other than that, I think just about everything was different in the fight. The way Cotto fought, his mentality and demeanour, he was tired, but no where near as tired as he was in the first. But the biggest difference was that Cotto would tie up and clinch when he needed to, the first fight Cotto kept moving back and on his bike until he had nothing left in the tank and submitted.

Method is right to an extent IMO, but there was way too much that was different from the first fight for me to think about the small stuff that were similar. The differences well outweighed the couple of similarities.

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - ViperSniper - 12-07-2011 07:46 AM

Fitz Wrote:I think Method is right that there were similarities. Margarito still had a lot of gas in the tank, and Cotto was tiring. Though other than that, I think just about everything was different in the fight. The way Cotto fought, his mentality and demeanour, he was tired, but no where near as tired as he was in the first. But the biggest difference was that Cotto would tie up and clinch when he needed to, the first fight Cotto kept moving back and on his bike until he had nothing left in the tank and submitted.

Method is right to an extent IMO, but there was way too much that was different from the first fight for me to think about the small stuff that were similar. The differences well outweighed the couple of similarities.

Margarito was moving forward not tiring and Cotto moving back tiring..had a similar theme but that comes down to their styles? Not sure how different people expected this to be but in no way was this even close to the same fight! LOL!

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Method - 12-07-2011 09:35 AM

Lil-Lightsout Wrote:
Method Wrote:

I watched a stream, which worked great for the first 8 rounds and the whole undercard. The beginning of the 9th round it stopped and I missed most of it and when it came back they stopped the fight. So in fairness I should have never scored it since I truly did not watch it entirely. But I gave that round to Cotto since they stopped it after the round. But if Margs did actually land 25 punches...

From what I recall the team that called the streams fight gave pretty much every round to Cotto, not positive though, and were giving Cotto props. for his strategy.

I will say this on ring generalship, and I know we will not agree. In my view Cotto controlled Margs for the most part and outboxed him smartly. Margs on the other hand showed aggression, but mostly ineffective, until from what the numbers you provided in the 9th round. I just did not see anything leading up to the 9th round where Margarito showed any ring genealrship. Maybe some would call it running, but I honestly thought Cotto showed great footwork counterpunching him, and rarely giving Tony a chance to plant his feet and get off on the inside.

I am not sure about what round it was, maybe the end of the 8th? The doctors stepped in and looked at the eye and I thought they said they would give him another round? Which would have been the 9th, and then after the 9th round then they stopped it. I had a stream so my audio was not the best. Again I could be wrong, but I just thought at one point they said to him one more round.
One thing we WILL agree on, is that REGARDLESS if we wanna crown Cotto the Ring General Extraordinaire, the adjustments he did make, bought him more time/extended him a little further than he was able to do last time out. Whether I think his foot work was Fred Astaire or Fred Flintstone. Whether it was graceful or primitive, it was enough for him to get out of there, create space, and buy some time. With Margarito's eye as fucked up as it was, that's all it took.

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Method - 12-07-2011 09:39 AM

ViperSniper Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:I think Method is right that there were similarities. Margarito still had a lot of gas in the tank, and Cotto was tiring. Though other than that, I think just about everything was different in the fight. The way Cotto fought, his mentality and demeanour, he was tired, but no where near as tired as he was in the first. But the biggest difference was that Cotto would tie up and clinch when he needed to, the first fight Cotto kept moving back and on his bike until he had nothing left in the tank and submitted.

Margarito was moving forward not tiring and Cotto moving back tiring..had a similar theme but that comes down to their styles? Not sure how different people expected this to be but in no way was this even close to the same fight! LOL!
Similar theme? I mean, come on. You said it yourself.

"Margarito was moving forward not tiring and Cotto moving back tiring".

That's exactly what was the beginning of the end the last time. The difference is the fight was called two rounds earlier than last time. You guys are trying so hard NOT to just admit it, yet, you admit it.

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - TRU - 12-07-2011 01:37 PM

Method Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:

Similar theme? I mean, come on. You said it yourself.

"Margarito was moving forward not tiring and Cotto moving back tiring".

That's exactly what was the beginning of the end the last time. The difference is the fight was called two rounds earlier than last time. You guys are trying so hard NOT to just admit it, yet, you admit it.
Da fuck are YOU talking about Ms. Hopkins?

Margarito was up on the cards at the time of the stoppage for the first fight...

In the second one he won MAYBE one round.

How da FUCK is that the same?

Ahhh who gives a fuck...

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Method - 12-07-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:Da fuck are YOU talking about Ms. Hopkins?

Margarito was up on the cards at the time of the stoppage for the first fight...

In the second one he won MAYBE one round.

How da FUCK is that the same?

Ahhh who gives a fuck...

Right. And "at the time of the stoppage" in the first fight was two rounds later than this fight...or a round and a half...ahhh what the fuck ever already.

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread - Fitz - 12-07-2011 03:30 PM

Method, I know you didn't think Cotto's footwork was anything special, but I actually liked his footwork in that fight. Cotto will never be the fleet footed, slick mover like a Hopkins or Mayweather. Cotto has always been perhaps a little slow on his feet, but I think he made good adjustments in this fight with moving around the ring. In small spurts later in the fight, I did see him momentarily at times revert to old habits where he would be on his bike for 10-20 second spurts, rather than use subtle footwork to set up counters. But I liked the fact that he didn't stick to that, and I would see him stop what he is doing, and then go back to what he was doing earlier.
When he was up against the ropes, he was doing some good footwork, stepping to the side, turning Margarito and setting him up for counters. He was able to turn Margarito, and clinch when in the previous fight, he would not use that footwork to turn Margarito and set up some counters. Previously, he wasn't doing that, he would just move back and try make sure Margarito couldn't get to him.
That's just what I saw. I plan to watch the fight again at some stage from tonight to over the weekend. I've been looking forward to watching it again.