THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Mayweather-Berto - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Mayweather-Berto (/showthread.php?tid=2529)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Mayweather-Berto - the ollie reed fan club - 08-04-2015 10:58 PM

Well it's official. I was hoping this was some kind of switch and bait tactic and they were gonna unleash something a bit better on us, like Khan for instance, but instead we get this crap. It really sucks balls this fight and I'm sure it will tank on PPV not that Floyd gives a shit with his guarantee in place.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - Snoop - 08-04-2015 11:09 PM

Not that the other options were all that much better, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Berto's name got thrown in the mix in the first place, let alone be chosen at the end.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - the ollie reed fan club - 08-04-2015 11:14 PM

(08-04-2015 11:09 PM)Snoop Wrote:  Not that the other options were all that much better, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Berto's name got thrown in the mix in the first place, let alone be chosen at the end.

I'm not sure it even fits in with Floyd's ethos of 'if it makes business it makes sense.' It makes terrible business sense.

It aint alegacy fight, it aint a money making fight, fuck knows what it is.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - Snoop - 08-04-2015 11:23 PM

(08-04-2015 11:14 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  I'm not sure it even fits in with Floyd's ethos of 'if it makes business it makes sense.' It makes terrible business sense.

It aint alegacy fight, it aint a money making fight, fuck knows what it is.

Yeah nothing about this fight makes sense. Unless he's using it for a tune-up fight for a final 50th fight or something? But someone of Mayweather's supposed caliber shouldn't need tune-ups either. I dunno. This fight just sucks.

Unless Berto somehow finds a way to win. Then it's the best thing to ever happen in boxing.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - Byrd Man - 08-05-2015 01:19 AM

My thoughts:

1. This is Floyd pissing in the faces of every boxing fan out there. What YOU the fan wants? NO, it's what Floyd wants, and Floyd wants his potential fighters to stfu and not say a goddamn word, and sit back and let Floyd dictate every thing: When it happens, what happens, the time, the place, etc. His potential opponents need only show up on fight night and go through the motions. You dare speak out with your own opinions on things before Floyd announces the fight, then you just fucked yourself out of a fight.

2. How's Showtime feel right about now? They lost money on every fucking fight on this deal just about, except the obvious last fight, which sucked. They CLEARLY are just gonna take a wash on this one considering how much money they made on the last one (sucks they had to share it lol)

I read that the holdup on the announcement of this fight was that Showtime wanted to renegotiate his deal so he couldn't just up and do a 50th fight somewhere else, and Floyd's insisting this is his final fight, 49-0.

3. If that's true, I pray this IS his final fight. I want him to retire with this as the lasting final memory of his contributions to the sport. Claiming to be the best of all time, better than Ali, Louis, Sugar Rays Leonard and Robinson, et al, because they had losses and he didn't, going out in his final fight against a bum like Berto who didn't earn the fight (other than his ability to shut up) on Pay Per View for $60 goddamn dollars.

If this was free TV on PBC that'd be one thing you could counter the negativity with Berto being the choice, but with it being PPV and costing $60 and going "well, it's cheaper than the LAST fight" doesn't do shit. Oh it's cheaper than the last time when it cost more than it's ever cost in the history of the world? Yeah nice. Fuck you too.

I want this to be his final contribution to the sport and let him go out and waste all his money and end up going broke and have him end up coming back and losing. I don't care how it happens, I just wanna see his ass beat. It won't humble him, just like it didn't humble Broner after any of his losses, but it'll fuck with him internally, which is fine with me.

4. Fuck Floyd and anyone who actually pays for this. If this does more than 700K I'm gonna be shocked, but then again...final Floyd fight (allegedly) don't dismiss the 1Million+ buys I guess.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - the ollie reed fan club - 08-05-2015 01:50 AM

For a Byrd fan you can really talk some sense. Gee I wish Stevenski was around right now.

I'm really enjoying reading all those Flomo's on TripeHype right now attempting to justify this as a serious fight. If it was Manny fighting Berto they would fucken crucify him.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - Byrd Man - 08-05-2015 03:44 AM

Showtime insists that there's no extension and that Floyd has never wavered that this is his final fight.

How soon after does Floyd go back on that and instigate a bidding war between HBO/Showtime to make it all about him one last time for the next two fights on a fight by fight basis as he goes to BEAT 50-0 (to go 51-0).

Watch him make this victory lap as everyone celebrates his accomplishments and does the whole "final fight/retirement" thing, and then he comes back.

Like Roger Clemens going around to every fucking stadium getting free trophies, trucks souveniers, etc because he was retiring, and then he came back and played again for another few years.

How angry were those other team owners? lmao.

Floyd gonna pull the same thing.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - Dickagon - 08-05-2015 08:19 AM

It's going to come down whether or not Floyd will rematch Pac. They wont want to give up a lot of cash for ppvs like this.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - JD - 08-05-2015 09:25 AM

3-3 is his last 6 with those wins coming against Lopez, some dude and Zavick.

Garbage fight. The handful of options out there are far more deserving.

I say Canelo - Cotto does around twice what this fight does.

RE: Mayweather-Berto - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN - 08-05-2015 09:58 AM

Yeah, this fight sucks. Josesito Lopez was winning just about every round against Berto before getting stopped, and Berto hasn't been the same fighter for 5 years now. Berto doesn't deserve this match and I'd rather have seen it be Garcia, Khan, or Thurman. It's definitely Floyd pissing on every fan of the sport.

With that said, I thought they were going to put this on CBS? When the rumors of it being on free tv came around, I didn't care as much about if Floyd wanted an easier fight. However, now it's going to be 74.95 in HD (saw that on Fightnews). That's highway robbery and I feel bad for anyone who actually pays for it. There will be Floyd huggers that will pay for it, but I hope the actual boxing fan doesn't waste their time.

There's four PPV's in four months (Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov) and arguably only one of them is a PPV level fight. At least the other PPV's could be explosive competitive fights. This has the makings of a dull mis-match for $75.