THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Middleweights - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Middleweights (/showthread.php?tid=2561)

Middleweights - TheTeddyBear - 10-20-2015 12:05 AM

The GGG-Lemieux thread gave me the idea for this thread. Being that GGG is a monster of a different breed in a relatively weak middleweight era where most his are either avoiding him or a weightclass higher. It brings me to the question which middleweight era was the nastiest?

The 2000's were decent

The 2010's which is where we're at now is exciting but weak

The early 1990's were ridiculously nasty RJJ BHop Toney McCallum Collins Johnson all of which could easily account for the 80's era as well

The 1980's again very heavy with talent which has alot of Welters that bumped up John Mugabi Thomas Hearns Roberto Duran Vito Antuofermo Mustafa Hamsho Fulgencio Obelmejias Sugar Ray Leonard Alan Minter

Feel free to add any era you want or any fighters but i think the early 90s was the best middleweight era.

RE: Middleweights - the ollie reed fan club - 10-20-2015 12:38 AM

(10-20-2015 12:05 AM)TheTeddyBear Wrote:  The GGG-Lemieux thread gave me the idea for this thread. Being that GGG is a monster of a different breed in a relatively weak middleweight era where most his are either avoiding him or a weightclass higher. It brings me to the question which middleweight era was the nastiest?

The 2000's were decent

The 2010's which is where we're at now is exciting but weak

The early 1990's were ridiculously nasty RJJ BHop Toney McCallum Collins Johnson all of which could easily account for the 80's era as well

The 1980's again very heavy with talent which has alot of Welters that bumped up John Mugabi Thomas Hearns Roberto Duran Vito Antuofermo Mustafa Hamsho Fulgencio Obelmejias Sugar Ray Leonard Alan Minter

Feel free to add any era you want or any fighters but i think the early 90s was the best middleweight era.

Benn, Eubank & Watson for the early 90's. Epic English domestic battles.

RE: Middleweights - blackbelt2003 - 10-20-2015 03:32 AM

I agree, Olly, but to an extent Benn and Eubank wrapped themselves in a big old British bubble of protective soft velvet.

Benn did have a few US fights and against top ten names like Barkley and Dewitt...but he avoided the main champs like the plague.

And Eubank just stayed in WBO land.

Watson was the only one to step it up..and was bravely stopped by Mccallum, which sort of shows their true value.

Benn was much more adventurous as a super middleweight but as a Brit I feel slightly embarrassed for our big name middleweights in that era about how they completely avoided the top Americans yet have established themselves such a massive reputation for greatness over here.

Black

RE: Middleweights - the ollie reed fan club - 10-20-2015 05:37 AM

They definitely need to be in the mix though, although as you say not fighting more in America hurts them. And losing to McCallum isn't anything to be ashamed of. Just got through watching his first fight with Toney and about to watch the 2nd one. God those 2 fuckers could fight.

RE: Middleweights - Dickagon - 10-20-2015 05:51 AM

Jackson and Mcclellan

RE: Middleweights - and the NEW - 10-20-2015 06:30 AM

I'm not sure it gets any nastier than the Greb and Walker days.

RE: Middleweights - Romulus9 - 10-20-2015 02:40 PM

Chris Eubank Jr. says that he's coming for Golovkin.

Whatever, dude.

RE: Middleweights - TheTeddyBear - 10-20-2015 03:52 PM

Eubank Jr hasn't fought anybody remotely close to even fathom beating GGG might sell some tickets though across the pond.

RE: Middleweights - lloyd mayflower - 10-20-2015 04:34 PM

I liked when he talked that shit in the buildup to his fight with BJ Saunders and Saunders said calm down, Golovkin would beat us both in the same night

RE: Middleweights - TheTeddyBear - 10-21-2015 09:28 AM

I'd love to see GGG do a Diggstown style event that'd be epic. I bet Russia would sanction it.