THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Most successful weight jumps. - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Most successful weight jumps. (/showthread.php?tid=2609)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Most successful weight jumps. - TheTeddyBear - 02-06-2016 12:36 PM

In light of the Khan/Canelo announcement i figured it only made sense to make a thread about guys who have successfully jumped weight classes.

The first name that comes to mind is Roy Jones Jr jumping two weights to win a version of the heavyweight title.

Then Spinks and Moorer both come to mind.

I think Sam Langford might have but not real sure.

Who else is out there?

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - BrutalBodyShots - 02-06-2016 01:00 PM

The first name that comes to mind for me is Pacquiao who started at 108 or something ridiculously low and won titles in something like 8 divisions.

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - blackbelt2003 - 02-06-2016 01:17 PM

Armstrong holding feather, light and welter belts (and drawing for the middle belt) simultaneously is fucking incredible.

Dingaan Thobela is another mention...a highly skilled lightweight champ who put on 30lbs of fat and randomly won a super middle title.

Guillermo Jones drew with Laurent Boudouani for the 154lb title, disappeared, then re-emerged as a tough as nails cruiserweight champ.

I always found Chris Byrd's feat of effectively being a middleweight who decided to be a heavyweight champion quite inspiring. How good would he have been had he stayed at 160 or 168 if he could mix it with all those +240lb monsters?

Black

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - TheTeddyBear - 02-06-2016 02:32 PM

Chris Byrd tried to fight at Light Heavy once. Got mauled by a guy my buddy fought.

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - blackbelt2003 - 02-06-2016 06:08 PM

Yeah that was after his heavyweihht run. Another giy who xouldnt take the weight back off without it killing him. At Chris' prime, though, he would have been a beast at 168.

Black

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - ViperSniper - 02-07-2016 12:29 AM

Roy Jones Jr.

And also Roy Jones Jr. being Heavyweight Champion to jumping all the way back down to Light Heavyweight to regain his title.
That feat goes heavily under the radar..big time!

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - Snoop - 02-07-2016 04:42 AM

I'd say Bernard Hopkins made a pretty successful jump. Made some significant noise in LHW against legitimate opponents.

I also have to point out - because I'm a Pacquiao hater - that I never considered Pacquiao an "8 division champion". Two of those divisions he never won a sanctioned belt, and instead won the Ring Belt, which is kind of ironic cuz those are the two divisions where I actually think he deservedly earned the right to be called "champion". I also always leave an asterisk anytime someone wins a belt at a catchweight against an unranked and undeserving opponent (Margarito). It was pretty much set up that way just so people could say, "Pacquiao won titles in 8 divisions."

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - BrutalBodyShots - 02-07-2016 07:11 AM

Snoop, there may be some truth to that... but even in being a Pacquiao hater you must be able to recognize that his run through many many weight classes is pretty special. I can't think of any many guys that started as low as he did and had success as high as he did, relatively.

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - Snoop - 02-07-2016 01:33 PM

(02-07-2016 07:11 AM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  Snoop, there may be some truth to that... but even in being a Pacquiao hater you must be able to recognize that his run through many many weight classes is pretty special. I can't think of any many guys that started as low as he did and had success as high as he did, relatively.

Yeah, it is special. So special that it kinda makes you raise an eyebrow at how he did it...

RE: Most successful weight jumps. - the ollie reed fan club - 02-07-2016 09:33 PM

(02-07-2016 01:33 PM)Snoop Wrote:  Yeah, it is special. So special that it kinda makes you raise an eyebrow at how he did it...

So Henry Armstrong was on the juice then?