THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Who has given a best man speech? - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Who has given a best man speech? (/showthread.php?tid=2621)

Pages: 1 2

Who has given a best man speech? - Fitz - 03-01-2016 06:29 AM

Hey guys, who has given a best man speech? I am due to give the best man speech in exactly about a months time...April 1st
I hate public talking and stressing about it. I have a 2nd baby due anytime from now and the 23rd of March. I have been organising the bucks night with is the 19th of March and if the baby isn't out yet, I will have to be on standby.
So basically I have a baby due on the 23rd, bucks night on the 19th and a speech and best man responisiblities up until the 1st of April.
I want to keep my speech short and not long winded, I think long speeches drag on anyways and people tend to lose interest. I may put in a couple of little jokes but won't try and be a comedian or embarass him either.
Any advice?

I will try memorise as much as I can and I know reading isn't ideal but will resort to that if I lose my words.

Advice? How short to keep it? Thinking 3-5mins. Tell me something

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - salvador - 03-01-2016 10:48 AM

Practice it out loud. It sounds different in your head.

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - lloyd mayflower - 03-01-2016 11:50 AM

Fitz you might not want to write it down and read it, but do it anyway. I did a best man speech before. Was crippled with merves and hated it. Dont think I did well. But when I got married I wrote it all down, stayed calm and delivered it well. If you dont have it written down and you are nervous I think you tend to go into runaway train mode and forget to breathe.

As far as nerves.... always remember wveryone in that room wants to see you do well.

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - Spyder - 03-01-2016 01:24 PM

I've given 2 best man speeches. 3 minutes is a good length. Think about internet videos...the longer they are, the more likely you'll click it off early.

Mention something about the dude that makes him a good guy, make a lighthearted reference that's grandma safe, say something nice about the bride, say why they're a good couple, wish them the best then lift your glass.

Easy, peasy, Japaneasy.

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - lloyd mayflower - 03-01-2016 04:29 PM

My mate done a good bit of craic where he started off by asking the bride to put her hand on the table, then the groom to put his on top of it, then left it there, and at the end of the speech he said his gift to the groom was giving him the upper hand for the last time ever

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - ViperSniper - 03-01-2016 09:06 PM

Fitz, figure out what you want to say and practice it out loud. I'd write it down for sure but not necessarily word for word either. More like a cue card with dot points. You can always refer to your notes to remind you where you are and what's left of the speech if you feel stuck.

In terms of delivering the speech/nerves, it's better to talk slowly than too quickly because people can forget to breath. If you think making a small joke at the beginning to break the ice will help then do that.

As for being on standby. If the baby hasn't arrived by the time of the wedding, I can always do that for you man so you can enjoy the night more.

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - lloyd mayflower - 03-01-2016 09:59 PM

Hahahaha come on now Viper.... In your quest to help your brother you have failed to factor in the laws of female logic.....

If Fitz installs his brother as baby standby man, he certainly won't need to worry about having a third kid. He will also look forward to when the grandkids come along and he is STILL having that shit cast up to him.

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - Fitz - 03-02-2016 12:50 AM

(03-01-2016 09:59 PM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Hahahaha come on now Viper.... In your quest to help your brother you have failed to factor in the laws of female logic.....

If Fitz installs his brother as baby standby man, he certainly won't need to worry about having a third kid. He will also look forward to when the grandkids come along and he is STILL having that shit cast up to him.

Hahah, yep. I don't think that would be a good look.

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - ViperSniper - 03-02-2016 06:44 AM

I didn't even look at it like that but most definitely should have now that it's been brought up! My bad! Looks like I'll have no choice but to just get fucked up then.. lol

RE: Who has given a best man speech? - blackbelt2003 - 03-03-2016 04:22 AM

I'm best man and have to do Roll's speech at his wedding in July. May just make a video and let it run on a big screen...

Black