THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. (/showthread.php?tid=2667)

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - ViperSniper - 08-27-2017 08:46 AM

Okay...just rewatched the fight and although I still don't like the stoppage I looked at it very differently already. Mayweather didn't do as bad as I thought & Conor not as well either.

Wasn't sure why the fight looked the way it did until now but Mayweather toyed with Conor. This was Mayweather saying what he said he would do and come straight ahead and I guess he did. Only time he didn't was when he baited Conor to the ropes.

Floyd spent the entire first 3 rounds not really throwing anything but instead had his gaurd up measuring & parrying. It wasn't until the 4th when Conors shots had already lost some sting & Floyd had warmed up (has never been a quick starter) did he start to open up.

By around the 6th or so Conors legs were getting heavy & by this point Mayweather started tagging heavier cleaner shots.

Floyd basically won with one hand and that was the right. He hardly used the jab, hooks, or jab to the body. Once Conors power had dropped, Mayweather would walk in and be throwing lead rights like they were jabs..and if he did jab it was followed after the right like a 2-1 instead of your practiced 1-2 combo.

This was Mayweather's way of going toe-to-toe & once he knew Conor was zapped he took more chances...like he did against De La Hoya in the final 10 seconds lol. This approach Mayweather took would explain why Conor was able to tag Mayweather & even steal rounds like he did.

This was not a bad performance second time around for Floyd..just one we've never seen before from him as he won the fight basically off of 1 single punch which was a lead right hand while never stepping outta 1st gear.

It's still a disgrace we saw Floyd get brave and take chances against a UFC fighter who was given no chance to begin with.

FUCK MAYWEATHER!

lol

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - JONdaCON - 08-27-2017 10:39 AM

I watched the fight with several of my buddies who are die hard MMA guys... they didnt and dont know shit about boxing and they were more then pleased with the outcome and result of the fight... there was about 15 of us and everyone was in agreeance that Connor did well the first 3 or 4 rounds, but from round 5 on, Mayweather began slipping on the inside, countering effectively and walking Mac down.

Mayweather REALLY began teeing off after the 7 but i could see the tide change alot earlier. I recall around the 4th when May would start to slip on the inside and walk through Connors shot i told them "Floyds about to start walking him down soon" and it was exactly what he did. It was beautiful to watch, very Gattiesque, only Gatti actually had better balance.

I liked the fight and Connor looked better then almost all of Floyds last opponents. Certainly better the Pacquiao.

One thing was that Connor looked HUGE on fight night compared to Floyd.. there was something satisfying about seeing David beat Goliath. I thought it was a damned good fight and good event... I knew it would take 3 or 4 rounds for Mayweather to studying Connor and figure him out but i was shocced that he actually delivered on his promise to make the fight entertaining. I felt like he purposely gave the first 3 rounds away and made it closer after 6 then he had to...

All in all i think the majority of people were very satisfied with the fight... social media was blowing up and i really didnt see much complaints other then a few women who wanted their "baby" to have another chance.

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - Warlord - 08-27-2017 10:55 AM

How bad was Floyd hurt to the body (if at all) in the 9th?

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/MajesticDelayedJay

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - JD - 08-27-2017 12:50 PM

He wasn't. He was whining about a low blow.

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - Imperius3 - 08-27-2017 01:02 PM

^^
It was a low blow.

My thoughts on the bout:

-McGregor did better than expected, but as predicted he didn't have the gas tank to survive.

-Mayweather is past his prime, and he would get beat by the current top dogs.

-The stoppage was good. McGregor was done, and he was about to get severely hurt. He was getting hit clean, and he wasn't throwing back. If McGregor wanted the fight to continue, he should've shown he had some fight left by throwing back.

-McGregor's stock is still good since he gave a good account of himself.

-I enjoyed this fight more than May-Pac.

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - Method - 08-27-2017 01:28 PM

JD - I def agree with you in that its a whack way to get your 50th win. Conor should never have been able to earn the shot. What can you do man. This is boxing, and we're all seasoned enough to know that money talks (no pun).

All that aside, I didn't have a problem w how Floyd beat this man down. Viper, you accounted for yourself well in your follow-up post, cuz after your first post-fight perspective I took issue w almost everything you said.

IMO, the first few rounds that Conor "won" weren't as if he was winning, per se, but more a function of Floyd getting comfortable and setting the plan into motion.

Macgregor started looking tired by the end of the 4th. Gassed by the 6th. I had a small wager that Floyd would stop him in each of the 6,7,8,9. He almost had him in the 9th. Fuck me.

Anyway, Floyd walked that dude down. Grinded him down. Stopped him. I thought Floyd accounted for himself very well, actually.

Conor didn't embarrass himself. He was just too outgunned and out over his skis.

Again, not crazy about the opponent for the 50th. Would have loved to see Floyd dismantle Triple G or something BIG, boxng-wise, but, given that I wasnt going to order the fight and wound up ordering it, I was entertained well enough.

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - JD - 08-27-2017 02:04 PM

I think it delivered...moreso because Floyd was cautious early against a guy he never should have been.

This kind encapsulates it...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mayweather-mcgregor-hernandez-20170827-story,amp.html

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - blackbelt2003 - 08-27-2017 03:26 PM

Floyd's easiest win.

Macgregor landed one punch (an uppercut in the first) and two sloppy jabs the whole fight. If you want to go ahead and count all those pitty pat shitty 'punches' as scoring shots then that's on you. I certainly don't.

Mayweather could have taken this guy out early but was in safety first mode for four rounds until he realised just how weak and light-hitting his guy was and then suddenly turned into the Hulk.

You know you aren't an elite level boxer if Floyd can walk you down and bully you.

I can't believe some people on here are saying Conor did well. If by 'well' you mean didn't get KO'd by the first jab he took, then, yeah.

He 'won' two early rounds by virtue of Floyd grinning and letting him pitty pat around for a bit. Trust me, if someone a little more aggressive minded than Floyd (say Canelo or Thurman) had been in there then Conor would have been brutally destroyed inside two.

His levels of strength, power and resilience just aren't primed for boxing.

They could be...I personally think he has the right attributes to do well in the sport...but only if he respects it and stops thinking that because he can wrestle and kick that automatically makes him tougher than a boxer.

Boxing is fucking tough. If you don't like being punched in the face in MMA you can kick or grapple to stop it.

In boxing you either hit the deck or get punched more. There's no way out. Conor found that out tonight. He wanted to hold on...but you can't do that in boxing. You have to take your lumps or fight back.

Black

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - JONdaCON - 08-27-2017 04:51 PM

Seeing the 2 in the ring together felt SO weird... maybe cuz i was drunk and high at that point. Lol.

It was also SUPER comical that MAC couldnt resist the urge to throw hammer fists over top.. lol.

Masterbation punches arent allowed in boxing and im surprised he didn't get a point deducted.

RE: Potential Mayweather-McGregor numbers. - JD - 08-27-2017 05:02 PM

(08-27-2017 03:26 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Floyd's easiest win.

Macgregor landed one punch (an uppercut in the first) and two sloppy jabs the whole fight. If you want to go ahead and count all those pitty pat shitty 'punches' as scoring shots then that's on you. I certainly don't.

Mayweather could have taken this guy out early but was in safety first mode for four rounds until he realised just how weak and light-hitting his guy was and then suddenly turned into the Hulk.

You know you aren't an elite level boxer if Floyd can walk you down and bully you.

I can't believe some people on here are saying Conor did well. If by 'well' you mean didn't get KO'd by the first jab he took, then, yeah.

He 'won' two early rounds by virtue of Floyd grinning and letting him pitty pat around for a bit. Trust me, if someone a little more aggressive minded than Floyd (say Canelo or Thurman) had been in there then Conor would have been brutally destroyed inside two.

His levels of strength, power and resilience just aren't primed for boxing.

They could be...I personally think he has the right attributes to do well in the sport...but only if he respects it and stops thinking that because he can wrestle and kick that automatically makes him tougher than a boxer.

Boxing is fucking tough. If you don't like being punched in the face in MMA you can kick or grapple to stop it.

In boxing you either hit the deck or get punched more. There's no way out. Conor found that out tonight. He wanted to hold on...but you can't do that in boxing. You have to take your lumps or fight back.

Black

That's the point.

Lemieux, GGG, Canelo, Thurman, Spence...and others would have been like "fuck this clown" and just handled it.

Floyd gave away three rounds trying to time him allowing McGregor to win rounds, and by virtue of winning more than a 2 second interval of the fight, he did well.

He's garbage. But Floyd should be embarrassed for treating garbage like it was anything but that.

Fucking trash fight.

With that said, there's a reason Floyd chose this clown for 50 over a professional boxer...because the guy we saw last night loses to plenty of fighters around his weight.