THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 (/showthread.php?tid=3143)

Pages: 1 2 3

Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - ViperSniper - 04-23-2018 12:47 AM

Who wins between these two on their best night at Light Heavyweight?

Tarver is the naturally bigger, stronger and more accomplished fighter at Light Heavyweight than Joe Calzaghe.
Calzaghe only made the move upto the division in his last several fights of his career but in doing so secured the biggest names and wins of his career against ATG's.

Calzaghe has the edge in speed, workrate and stamina, whereas Tarver has the edge in chin, power and counter punching.

Who wins between these two southpaws on their best night at 175??

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - JD - 04-23-2018 06:35 AM

Calzaghe

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - TheTeddyBear - 04-23-2018 02:48 PM

Not even close, Calzaghe wins wide Tarver was never all that he was just one guy that plagued RJJ. That guy exists for every fighter unfortunately Roy fought his.

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - the ollie reed fan club - 04-24-2018 12:17 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing it NOW, Tarver on the crack pipe, Joe with powder dribbling out his nose, winner gets an eightball lollol

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - Warlord - 04-24-2018 11:31 AM

Joe slaps him around (literally) for 12 rounds. Tarver could've never dealth with that work rate, and would be hard-pressed to win one round.

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - Method - 04-25-2018 02:09 PM

Prime v Prime? Id take Tarver by Stoppage. Tarver would've countered CalSLAPPY and put him to sleep...or punched with him (ala RJ KO). PvP that is.

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - ViperSniper - 04-26-2018 06:24 AM

I wasn't expecting the Calzaghe picks. It would be a tricky fight but would favour Tarver here.

The Magic Man was the natural Light Heavyweight with size, power and experience by fighting the better, tougher competition not just at that division but going by both their entire career.

Antonio Tarver was a very big, rangy southpaw counter puncher who could pack a punch and take one too. Tarver is the all round better more skilled boxer between the two.

Calzaghe's only advantage here is speed, stamina & workrate. Calzaghe's fragile hands wouldn't be able to put a dent on Tarver and was chinny and being dropped in the 1st round in his biggest fights.

Although Tarver isn't as physically talented or skilled as a Hopkins or Jones but he was very composed with KO power which would have made him a different threat.

Tarver would get tagged early but then again his jab could knock Calzaghe back early on aswell. Either way I could see Tarver jab eventually being a factor and would follow up or catch Calzaghe with a big counter as Calzaghe's defense was leaky as fuck when he got into goose mode!

I feel Tarver would eventually drop Calzaghe big and even if Calzaghe was to beat the count Tarver would have the right frame, style, power and composure to knock Joe Calzaghe out.

*I should have voted KO instead lol

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - blackbelt2003 - 04-26-2018 09:33 AM

I’m not seeing Tarver as any kind of big puncher. The only ever big stoppage he scored was that shock one over RJ - he couldn’t even take him out in their third fight and every flyweight and their nan was able to stop Roy at that point.

Tarver is a cagey southpaw with an iron jaw. He’d get outworked every round by Joe without Slappy ever earning his respect.

Black

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - JD - 04-26-2018 12:27 PM

Tarver was the solution to an eroding Roy Jones - that's it. He had a so-so jab with a solid left behind it and a terrific chin.

He may have dropped Calzaghe early with something, but it would have been a flash KD and he would have proceeded to fight from behind the whole night. When I think of a prime Tarver, I really am not sure what that even is to be honest.

Calzaghe was just too active for Tarver whose goal was always a measured pace.

RE: Antonio Tarver-Joe Calzaghe @ 175 - Warlord - 04-26-2018 10:13 PM

(04-26-2018 06:24 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  I wasn't expecting the Calzaghe picks. It would be a tricky fight but would favour Tarver here.

The Magic Man was the natural Light Heavyweight with size, power and experience by fighting the better, tougher competition not just at that division but going by both their entire career.

Antonio Tarver was a very big, rangy southpaw counter puncher who could pack a punch and take one too. Tarver is the all round better more skilled boxer between the two.

Calzaghe's only advantage here is speed, stamina & workrate. Calzaghe's fragile hands wouldn't be able to put a dent on Tarver and was chinny and being dropped in the 1st round in his biggest fights.

Although Tarver isn't as physically talented or skilled as a Hopkins or Jones but he was very composed with KO power which would have made him a different threat.

Tarver would get tagged early but then again his jab could knock Calzaghe back early on aswell. Either way I could see Tarver jab eventually being a factor and would follow up or catch Calzaghe with a big counter as Calzaghe's defense was leaky as fuck when he got into goose mode!

I feel Tarver would eventually drop Calzaghe big and even if Calzaghe was to beat the count Tarver would have the rigjt frame, style, power and composure to knock Joe Calzaghe out.

*I should have voted KO instead lol

Tarver certainly was not the more skilled boxer of the two, I'm not sure where that came from. Nor was Tarver an exceptionally heavy puncher. The idea that he would put Joe down with a flash knockdown early is valid on the surface, but Tarver only ever had two finishes in his entire career in the first round.

Calzaghe being susceptible to early knockdowns is a myth started by people who only saw him fighting late into his career. Prior to Jones and Hopkins, Calzaghe had only gone down twice in his entire career (Mitchell and Salem).

Calzaghe rarely got marked up until he slowed down in his 30's and started having hand issues. If we're talking prime for prime, Calzaghe doesn't quite make Tarver look like Lacy, but it would be decisive.

I know Calzaghe gets a lot of hate around here for his style, and I understand that. But you don't have to let it cloud your judgement. I feel like I'm one of the few guys here that can separate disdain for a fighter's style from calling fights objectively.

As the great James Toney would have said, Joe slaps the shit out of that bubble gum lip motherfucker for 12 long rounds.