THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb (/showthread.php?tid=3335)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - Fitz - 01-04-2019 06:50 AM

The older Mikey Garcia is getting, the more he is starting to look like a lesbian IMO

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - Method - 01-04-2019 09:12 AM

JD has a good eye for this. The play is the PARLAY!

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - ViperSniper - 01-04-2019 10:33 AM

I really don't know whether to say Garcia is very stupid, courageous or both but expecting him to at least put up a spirited performance before falling to the bigger Spence!

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - salvador - 01-04-2019 11:07 AM

The best word for Garcia is "desperate".

He's 31 and he knew he wasn't going to get the Loma fight and there weren't any big money fights at 140 and he wanted to break through to the PPV level and Spence was his best shot. I'm sure he would have preferred Khan or Pac or maybe even Crawford, but instead he's taking the one mega money shot he can get.

I still have a hard time seeing him last 12 rounds, but if he does he has a good shot at winning on points and at the very least he'll win a bunch more fans.

And if he does win (or even comes close) he will be in a very different bargaining position.

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - ViperSniper - 01-04-2019 12:20 PM

(01-04-2019 11:07 AM)salvador Wrote:  The best word for Garcia is "desperate".

He's 31 and he knew he wasn't going to get the Loma fight and there weren't any big money fights at 140 and he wanted to break through to the PPV level and Spence was his best shot. I'm sure he would have preferred Khan or Pac or maybe even Crawford, but instead he's taking the one mega money shot he can get.

I still have a hard time seeing him last 12 rounds, but if he does he has a good shot at winning on points and at the very least he'll win a bunch more fans.

And if he does win (or even comes close) he will be in a very different bargaining position.

That's what make Garcia taking this fight even more odd. Spence isn't some big PPV star either. Just a damn good undefeated fighter, just like Garcia, but naturally 2-3 divisions bigger.

It is an act of desperation like Gamboa or Rigondeaux being forced to move way up just to get a named fighter!

Garcia is basically handing Spence over his undefeated record and name to his resume.

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - salvador - 01-04-2019 12:48 PM

Who else can Garcia fight where he would get anywhere near as much money or attention?

I agree that it sucks that he has to take this kind of risk for a paycheck and that Arum is horrible for boxing. But I can't help believing that Garcia has to see something in Spence or he wouldn't have taken the fight and I have to believe that Garcia is the hungrier fighter.

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - ViperSniper - 01-04-2019 01:00 PM

Well I guess Lomachenko, Crawford would be more ideal (money) fights to take. If he did want to dip his toes at Welter he could have gone for fights like Khan, Brook, Horn or even someone like a Collazo (who was considered for Crawford) lol. Even fighting Danny Garcia seems like it makes more sense..

No doubt about Mikey Garcia's hunger. Just listen to him talk boxing & you know he is a student & loves the sport. He definitely has a mission and vision for his career!

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - JONdaCON - 01-04-2019 09:12 PM

Garcia didnt exactly look super amazing @140... Lips gave him a tough test and hes an exkicc boxer levels below Spence.

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - JD - 01-06-2019 10:23 AM

Broner two court appearances on Monday.

Good timing. Those Pac odds should be -800

RE: Spence - Garcia Almost Done for Feb - and the NEW - 01-09-2019 01:44 AM

I thought 135 had great fights emerging for Garcia. He probably could have got Devin Haney in with him later this year, he could have tried to get Linares and look more impressive than Loma. Next year, he could get Tank when he eventually moves up, or Teofimo Lopez. That is all assuming he can't even get Loma.