THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? (/showthread.php?tid=4013)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - blackbelt2003 - 08-17-2021 04:26 PM

Bearing in mind he defeated Kavaliauskis as well, if not better, than Crawford did, can Ortiz now fight for world titles and be in the mix, or is it still too soon?

147 has either Spence, Crawford or Ugas/Pac, which is not like many other divisions that has a weak link or two to choose from to pick up an easy belt.

If he's going to be a world champion, he either goes hard, goes home, or at least waits a year before mounting a challenge.

So how impressed was everyone with him at the weekend?

Black

RE: Can Vergel Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - JD - 08-17-2021 04:28 PM

Yes, he can. I’d love to see him fight Spence.

Nothing I’ve seen tells me he can’t compete with the top dogs at 47 today.

RE: Can Vergel Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - salvador - 08-17-2021 04:41 PM

I'd love to see Ortiz fight any of the top guys.

DLH has put Crawford's name in the mix with Ortiz several times including a tweet yesterday.

RE: Can Vergel Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - blackbelt2003 - 08-18-2021 01:53 AM

I was most impressed by that ram rod jab. Kavaliauskis is not a guy to be easily dominated, but apart from the second round blip and a short spell later on, Ortiz generally dominated him. Moreso than even Crawford did, I'd say.

Black

RE: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - salvador - 08-18-2021 07:26 AM

Yeah Black, that jab was strong.

My only issue with the Kavaliauskas fight was that Ortiz got kind of reckless after getting knocked down. Otherwise he seemed totally composed for 23.

I'm with JD in that the more I think about Ortiz-Spence the more I like it. Kind of like Margarito-Williams in that it would be two big heavy hitting wws without too much fancy stuff.

I think Crawford probably picks Ortiz apart if Ortiz can't land that jab early and often.

RE: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - blackbelt2003 - 08-18-2021 03:56 PM

To be honest I don't see any welterweight beating Crawford right now.

Spence has the best chance but needs ring time and to be injury free.

I reckon Ortiz could hang with everyone outside of Crawford. He might even be competitive with Crawford for a while.

Black

RE: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - salvador - 08-18-2021 04:10 PM

If Crawford doesn't fight Porter next, I'd love to see him fight Ortiz. Kind of the same fight, only with Ortiz it's a little less sloppy - which would be to Crawford's advantage.

RE: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - JD - 08-18-2021 08:06 PM

Crawford is the best at 147…really curious to see how the purse bid plays out on Friday.

I have a hunch Top Rank won’t win it.

RE: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - salvador - 08-19-2021 05:28 AM

JD, how high do you think the bid has to be for Porter to risk angering PBC by taking it? (How high would Porter's end have to be?)

I assume PBC would still get a cut of Porter's purse, right?

RE: Can Vergil Ortiz Fight for World Titles Yet? - JD - 08-20-2021 06:18 AM

I don’t think it matters. PBC wouldn’t stop him from taking it.

Not sure how his deal with PBC works, but they would get some sort of management cut whether or not they win it.

My gut tells me DAZN wins it. I could be very wrong, but it’s my sense on this one. All depends who decides to take a risk with that high bid.