THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Acelino Freitas is back! - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Acelino Freitas is back! (/showthread.php?tid=453)

Pages: 1 2

Acelino Freitas is back! - Romulus9 - 02-16-2012 05:18 PM

He's been on the shelf for five years.

Quote:Oliveira-Freitas tentatively slated for May 19

Team Oliveira has collectively decided to drop undefeated WBC South American middleweight champion Michael ?The Brazilian Rocky? Oliveira down one weight class to junior middleweight, starting with his Brazilian mega-fight against four-time world champion Acelino ?Popo? Freitas, which is tentatively scheduled for May 19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The 21-year-old Oliveira is listed as 5?9 but he always gave away height, reach and weight fighting as a middleweight. Michael?s father/promoter Carlos Oliveira (MO Productions) is scheduled to fly next week to Brazil to go over final details for Michael?s May 19 fight in Rio against Freitas.

?I?m looking forward to it,? Michael added. ?Everybody is going to see a much better fighter against Freitas than the other night (W8 against Sergei Melis in Mississauga, Ontario). Making 154 won?t be a problem. I was 157 the fight before last and I?ll be losing weight under proper supervision during training camp. I?ll bring my power down to 154 and won?t be fighting bigger, stronger opponents who way up to 180 pounds in the ring. Freitas is an excellent, veteran fighter who is very smart and crafty. I?ll have youth and more speed and strength on my side, but he?s going to have years of experience on me. I?m taking training seriously for this fight, as if it is my first world title shot, and we will be training outside of Miami without any distractions.?

The 36-year-old Freitas, a living legend in Brazil, has been retired for nearly five years. He stands 5?6 and 135 pounds was the highest weight he fought at during his illustrious career.

?Michael will be younger, faster, more active and bigger than Freitas,? Oliveira?s trainer Orlando Cueller noted. ?We?ll have eight solid weeks of hard training, bringing in good sparring partners who are similar to Freitas. We?ll be preparing to fight the best Freitas, not the one who?s been retired.?

Courtesy: http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/oliveira-freitas-tentatively-slated-for-may-19-108163#more-108163

*sigh* Whatever. If it's televised, I'll watch. I always do.

Acelino Freitas is back! - salvador - 02-16-2012 05:56 PM

I read somewhere that Freitas had a full sized soccer field in his back yard. It really is amazing that these athletes go through all their money so quickly. There was just a story yesterday that Allen Iverson, who earned over $150MM in his career (including $20MM in 2008-2009), is bankrupt and looking to come back to the NBA.

Acelino Freitas is back! - Warlord - 02-16-2012 06:02 PM

salvador Wrote:I read somewhere that Freitas had a full sized soccer field in his back yard. It really is amazing that these athletes go through all their money so quickly. There was just a story yesterday that Allen Iverson, who earned over $150MM in his career (including $20MM in 2008-2009), is bankrupt and looking to come back to the NBA.
Like my man John Wayne said. Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.

Acelino Freitas is back! - salvador - 02-16-2012 06:36 PM

A more generous interpretation of the situation might be seen in the Ancient Chinese Proverb:

"It's better to live rich than to die rich"

Acelino Freitas is back! - Dickagon - 02-16-2012 06:38 PM

salvador Wrote:I read somewhere that Freitas had a full sized soccer field in his back yard. It really is amazing that these athletes go through all their money so quickly. There was just a story yesterday that Allen Iverson, who earned over $150MM in his career (including $20MM in 2008-2009), is bankrupt and looking to come back to the NBA.
i'm not that surprised by it. i don't think anything tops some cat that's in the NBA that bought 10-11 Maybachs and went broke.

Acelino Freitas is back! - Mean Mister Mustard - 02-16-2012 06:46 PM

Freitas was a good boxer but man, 5 years is a long time to stay shelved.

Acelino Freitas is back! - Spyder - 02-16-2012 07:52 PM

Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:Freitas was a good boxer but man, 5 years is a long time to stay shelved.
Coincidentally, that's the same amount of time that his mom breast fed him as a child.

Acelino Freitas is back! - Method - 02-16-2012 10:09 PM

I bumped into Freitas at the PR Airport coming back from a little R&R (he was coming back from a sanctioning body convention) like 9 years ago.

My chick got pretty cool pic of me and him shaking hands, and then dude broke out his belt and made me hold it (which I did NOT want to do). I dunno, I just felt somethin like that is sacred...like askin to ride another man's Harley. Its not yours. You didn't earn it. You dont have the right. But he was insistent. He wanted me to put it on, but I refused. Those belts have a lot more heft to them than you'd think. They're not lite.

I like Freitas, but Corrales beat his ass. He was on his motherfucking bike that night.

Acelino Freitas is back! - Romulus9 - 02-16-2012 10:22 PM

Method Wrote:My chick got pretty cool pic of me and him shaking hands, and then dude broke out his belt and made me hold it (which I did NOT want to do). I dunno, I just felt somethin like that is sacred...like askin to ride another man's Harley. Its not yours. You didn't earn it. You dont have the right. But he was insistent. He wanted me to put it on, but I refused. Those belts have a lot more heft to them than you'd think. They're not lite.
I get your point, really I do, but I also think that it's very cool that he was so insistent. It's a nice way to acknowledge the fans who recognize and support them.

I think it's sacrilege to go up and ask HIM to put the thing on. But for him to offer it, to go out of his way to present it? That's tremendous, and something I believe I'd have taken him up on.

And you're right. Those belts are a LOT heavier than they look (although the WBC belt tends to look like one of those plastic WWE belts that you can buy at K-Mart). The belts awarded to the state champions here in West Virginia are MUCH bigger and heavier than expected, and heavier than they appear. Hopefully one of the fighters I work with will be bringing one home at the end of March.

Acelino Freitas is back! - Spyder - 02-17-2012 03:45 AM

Romulus9 Wrote:
Method Wrote:My chick got pretty cool pic of me and him shaking hands, and then dude broke out his belt and made me hold it (which I did NOT want to do). I dunno, I just felt somethin like that is sacred...like askin to ride another man's Harley. Its not yours. You didn't earn it. You dont have the right. But he was insistent. He wanted me to put it on, but I refused. Those belts have a lot more heft to them than you'd think. They're not lite.
I get your point, really I do, but I also think that it's very cool that he was so insistent. It's a nice way to acknowledge the fans who recognize and support them.

I think it's sacrilege to go up and ask HIM to put the thing on. But for him to offer it, to go out of his way to present it? That's tremendous, and something I believe I'd have taken him up on.

And you're right. Those belts are a LOT heavier than they look (although the WBC belt tends to look like one of those plastic WWE belts that you can buy at K-Mart). The belts awarded to the state champions here in West Virginia are MUCH bigger and heavier than expected, and heavier than they appear. Hopefully one of the fighters I work with will be bringing one home at the end of March.
Weapon X?