THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car (/showthread.php?tid=556)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - Fitz - 04-05-2012 09:46 AM

Who do you think had the better career at heavyweight?

I think Haye did, and by comparing both. I think I would rather have Haye's heavyweight career and accomplishments over Toney's, if I were to choose one.

James ToneyDavid Haye
Record: 7-3-1 (2NC)
Key wins:Holyfield, Booker, Guinn, Oquendo (very close)
World Champion: No
Accomplishments/Highlights:
  • Beating Ruiz in a title fight and then turning into a no contest when Toney was caught using steroids.
  • Got a suspension for using steroids
  • Having a draw in a world title fight with Rahman
  • Losing 2 consecutive times in very close fights against top 5 contender Sam Peter for the NABF title

Record: 4-1
Key wins:Barret, Valuev, Ruiz
World Champion: Yes
Accomplishments/Highlights:
  • Becoming a world champion by beating WBA champion Valuev
  • Successfully defended his world title 2 times against Ruiz and Harrison, both by stoppage.
  • Fighting in an undisputed heavyweight title fight, though coming up short against W. Klitschko who has not lost a fight in almost 8 years

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - Fitz - 04-05-2012 09:49 AM

I also tried out the table feature for the first time, as you can clearly see

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - salvador - 04-05-2012 10:19 AM

Haye was probably a better HW because he was younger and much faster, but Toney was so much cooler and tougher and more complex that it's almost impossible to compare them - apples to oranges. Toney also had a much better chin and a more exciting/in your face style. Haye would never have stood toe to toe with Peter - or Holyfield for that matter.

The Haye-Valuev fight was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen whereas Toney-Holyfield was, as I remember, pretty damn exciting even though they were both old. And Toney's fights with Peter were decent and rough. Just from highlights alone, Toney has the edge. (I admit that I didn't see the Harrison-Haye fight.)

Haye's high point, the Klit fight, was so universally panned (except, apparently, on this board) that it's hard to make a case that his time at HW was particularly good for boxing. Toney, on the other hand, may have talked better than he fought but he never ran from an opponent and he was small too, having moved up from MW - the steroids probably helped.

Just thinking this through, I actually think that this could have been an interesting fight if Toney was 5 years younger. Between the two of them, I'd have to go with Toney on style and toughness.

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - Fitz - 04-05-2012 10:26 AM

salvador Wrote:but Toney was so much cooler and tougher
But Haye was much more handsome and athletic.

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - salvador - 04-05-2012 10:38 AM

Fitz Wrote:
salvador Wrote:but Toney was so much cooler and tougher
But Haye was much more handsome and athletic.
You're just saying that because he's British and you dig the accent.

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - ViperSniper - 04-05-2012 01:26 PM

Biggest difference in the two's career at Heavyweight is Toney has spent close to 10 years there whereas Haye has been there for 3?

Haye has had the far more efficient resume and played a far more relevant roll in the division as Toney was never a champion nor involved in a unification fight with a Klitschko! Sure JT is a far greater fight and obviously for fun to watch. But I think Haye reached higher levels at Heavyweight and overall had the better career there!

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - BGv4.0 - 04-05-2012 01:53 PM

ViperSniper Wrote:Biggest difference in the two's career at Heavyweight is Toney has spent close to 10 years there whereas Haye has been there for 3?
Very important aspect you brought up. It can also be argued that in that 10 year span...there was more decent opposition avaiable for JT that he did not fight...while there was very little for Haye to pick thru in the last 3 years.

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - Spyder - 04-05-2012 02:36 PM

BGv4.0 Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:Biggest difference in the two's career at Heavyweight is Toney has spent close to 10 years there whereas Haye has been there for 3?
Very important aspect you brought up. It can also be argued that in that 10 year span...there was more decent opposition avaiable for JT that he did not fight...while there was very little for Haye to pick thru in the last 3 years.
Toney did not fight them due in no part to his own discretion.

Haye on the other hand, CHOSE to avoid certain fights in hopes of building his name through talking about those fights.

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - the ollie reed fan club - 04-05-2012 06:40 PM

Saying Toney fought at HW for 10 years is a little disingenuous.

He was injured for a decent portion of it and served 2 bans for steroids use (fair enough) but you make it sound like he was toiling away for 10 long years without result.

The truth is he spent much of the 10 years on the sidelines due to injury and his own stupidity.

Personally I'll take the version of JT that beat Holyfield over any version of David Haye in any of his HW fights. The guy that beat Holyfield beats the bat shit out of all versions of the HW David Haye.

Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car - Fitz - 04-05-2012 07:18 PM

Ollie, it sounds like your answering on who you think is better between the 2 at their best performances at heavyweight. I'm just asking on who had the better heavyweight career.