THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Calling out fighters you thought got a pass (/showthread.php?tid=557)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Fitz - 04-06-2012 08:13 PM

I disagree with a few. Hopkins was not way past his prime, he was just years past where he was best, but was a top 3-5 p4p fighter. Calzaghe beat a very good fighter period. You're not ranked top 5 p4p in the world, without being good.
Hatton has fights with Tszyu, Mayweather and Hatton. I don't think he was overly protected, I would say he was more a little unnoticed until he had his breakout fight with Tszyu. Had a very credible run IMO.

I also didn't think Jones walked away from the Tarver fights unscathed, I would say they hurt his reputation (rightly or wrongly) to a few people. I thought Jones got punished enough for the losses.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - STEVENSKI - 04-06-2012 10:25 PM

blackbelt2003 Wrote:Too bad that: a) he isn't the best British fighter,

That honour belongs to Jimmy Wilde in my eyes & no one is within cooee of taking that mantle from him.

Fitz Wrote:Hatton has fights with Tszyu, Mayweather and Hatton. I don't think he was overly protected, I would say he was more a little unnoticed until he had his breakout fight with Tszyu. Had a very credible run IMO.

Unnoticed is Floyd Mayweather PPV superstar fighting a former world champion Sharmba Mitchell & failing to sell out a bingo hall. Hatton could have fought any bum & put 20,000 paying customers in seats from when he first won a strap. Not respected I will accept but he was far from unnoticed especially in the UK.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - STEVENSKI - 04-06-2012 10:27 PM

Romulus9 Wrote:I have more respect for Carl Froch than I do Joe Calzaghe..

As do I.

Romulus9 Wrote:Does ANYONE with any sense think that Calzaghe would take more than a round or two off of Andre Ward

I personally think he beats him handly but that is just me.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - blackbelt2003 - 04-07-2012 02:23 AM

STEVENSKI Wrote:That honour belongs to Jimmy Wilde in my eyes & no one is within cooee of taking that mantle from him.
Lennox Lewis all the way!!! Big Grin

Black

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - STEVENSKI - 04-07-2012 04:33 AM

blackbelt2003 Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:That honour belongs to Jimmy Wilde in my eyes & no one is within cooee of taking that mantle from him.
Lennox Lewis all the way!!! Big Grin

Black
Actually that is a very valid argument. Lennox is a great champion. Funny how they are at polar opposites of the weight spectrum but I think Wilde was the greatest Brit to ever lace them up. He would give away so much weight so many times & only lost a few.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - SmartyBeardo - 04-07-2012 06:42 AM

The Burger Queen for the vast majority of the last decade.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ViperSniper - 04-07-2012 09:05 AM

Mayweather & Pacquaio get unlimited passes from their fans!

Zab Judah gets passes for his losses & shocking moments due to his wins over b-c level fighters.

Gamboa for his blatant dirty fighting against Solis! Great performance but wasnt thrilled with the punches at the back of the head and back of Solis that led to the end of the fight.

American fighters for not being 'European' :sweat:

Solis for being cool with being fat & lazy in his first title fight

Holyfield for not showing his warrior spirit against Williams in his last fight.

Margarito!!

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - salvador - 04-07-2012 09:42 AM

Fitz Wrote:Tito Trinidad

For his losses to Hopkins and Wright, I thought he was given a pass for the manner he lost in. I have a few different reasons for this.
This is kind of the same conversation we had about Haye. Because for me, Tito's fight against Hopkins was his high water mark. He got abused by a better and bigger fighter all night and he kept coming coming forward relentlessly until he got ko'd.

Tito wasn't an all time great fighter because of his skills - God knows he was one dimensional and didn't have the footwork or speed to compete with the very best - but the guy had huge balls and was willing to fight absolutely anybody as if he was the big dog, and that was what was great about him. To me, the fact that he was willing to go down the way he did against Hopkins is the reason he should always get a "pass".

The fact that nobody has ever pressed Roy Jones on the last two rounds of his third fight with Tarver is an absolute mystery to me. Add given the steroids accusations, it's hard for me to understand how anyone could put him on a top 20 of all time list.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ViperSniper - 04-07-2012 10:17 AM

Corrales coming over weight after arms were up in the air when he was on the receiving end of an opponent coming over the limit before hand.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Method - 04-07-2012 04:50 PM

Romulus9 Wrote:Does ANYONE with any sense think that Calzaghe would take more than a round or two off of Andre Ward, much less a prime 168 Roy Jones?
Fuck two rounds. I think Calzaghe BEATS Ward.