THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Calling out fighters you thought got a pass (/showthread.php?tid=557)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Dickagon - 04-07-2012 08:35 PM

Khan definitely got a pass for ducking Bradley, the whole thing with those 2 just screams duck job. the caravan never forgets

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Gandalf The Black - 04-07-2012 08:37 PM

Fitz Wrote:I disagree with a few. Hopkins was not way past his prime, he was just years past where he was best, but was a top 3-5 p4p fighter. Calzaghe beat a very good fighter period. You're not ranked top 5 p4p in the world, without being good.
Hatton has fights with Tszyu, Mayweather and Hatton. I don't think he was overly protected, I would say he was more a little unnoticed until he had his breakout fight with Tszyu. Had a very credible run IMO.

I also didn't think Jones walked away from the Tarver fights unscathed, I would say they hurt his reputation (rightly or wrongly) to a few people. I thought Jones got punished enough for the losses.
How many fights did Hatton have outside the UK before he fought Floyd? He almost lost his American debut fight against Collazo then got creamed by Floyd and Pacquiao. I just looked Hatton's record on Boxrec. Every single fight he had was in the UK(Including Tszyu) before the Collazo fight. Protected....maybe not. Avoiding competition......maybe so!

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Gandalf The Black - 04-07-2012 08:43 PM

ViperSniper Wrote:Mayweather & Pacquaio get unlimited passes from their fans!

Zab Judah gets passes for his losses & shocking moments due to his wins over b-c level fighters.

Gamboa for his blatant dirty fighting against Solis! Great performance but wasnt thrilled with the punches at the back of the head and back of Solis that led to the end of the fight.

American fighters for not being 'European' :sweat:

Solis for being cool with being fat & lazy in his first title fight

Holyfield for not showing his warrior spirit against Williams in his last fight.

Margarito!!
I wouldn't use any fighters "Fans" to represent the general boxing public. Fan comes from the word "Fanatical". For a boxers' diehard fans logic, reason and intelligence can go out the window.
I've heard Hatton fans say he the greatest boxer to ever live. I've heard Cotto fans say, "He's a better body puncher than Joe Frazier". Like I said, all logic and reason go out the window. Go on youtube and read video comments. Most people think negatively of Floyd than Pacquiao.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ViperSniper - 04-07-2012 11:08 PM

Gandalf The Black Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:Mayweather & Pacquaio get unlimited passes from their fans!

Zab Judah gets passes for his losses & shocking moments due to his wins over b-c level fighters.

Gamboa for his blatant dirty fighting against Solis! Great performance but wasnt thrilled with the punches at the back of the head and back of Solis that led to the end of the fight.

American fighters for not being 'European' :sweat:

Solis for being cool with being fat & lazy in his first title fight

Holyfield for not showing his warrior spirit against Williams in his last fight.

Margarito!!
I wouldn't use any fighters "Fans" to represent the general boxing public. Fan comes from the word "Fanatical". For a boxers' diehard fans logic, reason and intelligence can go out the window.
I've heard Hatton fans say he the greatest boxer to ever live. I've heard Cotto fans say, "He's a better body puncher than Joe Frazier". Like I said, all logic and reason go out the window. Go on youtube and read video comments. Most people think negatively of Floyd than Pacquiao.

I was more getting at how Mayweather & Pacquaio fans seems to always give them a pass no matter how much their bullshit stinks!

As for your Hatton comments I strongly disagree. This guy proved he is willing to cross the pond. As for avoiding competition??? How? He fought 3 fighters who were all in in the top of the pound for pound lists in Tszyu, Mayweather & Pacquaio (2 of them considered no.1 & 2 of them fights taking place outside England) The guy fought the best of the best & always gave it his all!

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - lloyd mayflower - 04-08-2012 03:53 AM

Gandalf The Black Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:I disagree with a few. Hopkins was not way past his prime, he was just years past where he was best, but was a top 3-5 p4p fighter. Calzaghe beat a very good fighter period. You're not ranked top 5 p4p in the world, without being good.
Hatton has fights with Tszyu, Mayweather and Hatton. I don't think he was overly protected, I would say he was more a little unnoticed until he had his breakout fight with Tszyu. Had a very credible run IMO.

I also didn't think Jones walked away from the Tarver fights unscathed, I would say they hurt his reputation (rightly or wrongly) to a few people. I thought Jones got punished enough for the losses.
How many fights did Hatton have outside the UK before he fought Floyd? He almost lost his American debut fight against Collazo then got creamed by Floyd and Pacquiao. I just looked Hatton's record on Boxrec. Every single fight he had was in the UK(Including Tszyu) before the Collazo fight. Protected....maybe not. Avoiding competition......maybe so!
Hatton was filling arenas over here from an early point in his career and he got the main man Tszyu over here to fight him. There was no reason for him to cross the pond until he did. And when the opportunity came to make big fights in America, he leapt at it. Ricky Hatton can be called out for many things, but being overly cautious or protected is not one of them. He ditched Frank Warren and had to go through a legal battle with him because he felt Warren wasn't bringing him the fights he deserved.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ROLLDEEP - 04-08-2012 06:24 AM

lloyd mayflower Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:

Hatton was filling arenas over here from an early point in his career and he got the main man Tszyu over here to fight him. There was no reason for him to cross the pond until he did. And when the opportunity came to make big fights in America, he leapt at it. Ricky Hatton can be called out for many things, but being overly cautious or protected is not one of them. He ditched Frank Warren and had to go through a legal battle with him because he felt Warren wasn't bringing him the fights he deserved.
Exactly.

He was built up steadily, built up a strong fan base and when the time was right, he fought the very best he could.

I have no problem in fighters having a well thought out career and building up experience so long as they actually DO fight the best at some point....and Hatton did that.

As far as not fighting out of the UK....if you're generating the kind of interest and money Hatton was, why should he?

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - lloyd mayflower - 04-08-2012 09:15 AM

ROLLDEEP Wrote:
lloyd mayflower Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:

Exactly.

He was built up steadily, built up a strong fan base and when the time was right, he fought the very best he could.

I have no problem in fighters having a well thought out career and building up experience so long as they actually DO fight the best at some point....and Hatton did that.

As far as not fighting out of the UK....if you're generating the kind of interest and money Hatton was, why should he?
Yep, hatton built up to his shot at the man, which he got and became the man, so why should he even need to travel? At that point no one at 140 could beat him and no one in boxing came close to a following like his. And despite this he decided to take it on the road and had success there too until the two best in the business derailed him. Career wise, ricky hatton is beyond reproach.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - SmartyBeardo - 04-08-2012 11:33 AM

Devon Alexander, no matter how much criticism he has received, has still received the largest of passes over the last couple years, given his performances and still penciled in to headline a big card in August.

Can't stand the dude (clinches or not B) ).

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Dickagon - 04-08-2012 12:33 PM

SmartyBeardo Wrote:Devon Alexander, no matter how much criticism he has received, has still received the largest of passes over the last couple years, given his performances and still penciled in to headline a big card in August.

Can't stand the dude (clinches or not B) ).
not to mention he's a homer that gets some serious gifts in fights. i hope his days are numbered

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - jlupi - 04-09-2012 09:32 AM

He has made so many people believe Calzaghe was really something worthwhile, proving that if the outside of the box is fancy and pretty enough, most people won't notice that there's nothing inside but feces and regret. >>>>

I disagree, calzag was the real deal. Unfortunately we didnt know until the end because he was so protected for most of his career. And we will never know how good he was or could have been because his prime was squandered