THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Calling out fighters you thought got a pass (/showthread.php?tid=557)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Dickagon - 04-10-2012 11:56 PM

Snoop Wrote:I think the difference between criticizing a British fighter for not traveling abroad vs criticizing an American fighter for not traveling abroad is that the elite level athletes predominately compete in America, so they are still facing the best comp, whereas it's not so much the case in Britain.
there's some serious bullshit going on over here now, it isn't like it used to be. Hopkins and Ward are the big name fighters that come to mind who have been fighting the best competition without home cooking.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Snoop - 04-11-2012 12:10 AM

the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
Snoop Wrote:I think the difference between criticizing a British fighter for not traveling abroad vs criticizing an American fighter for not traveling abroad is that the elite level athletes predominately compete in America, so they are still facing the best comp, whereas it's not so much the case in Britain.
This is a fair point Snoop and one I actually agree with. However as the sport starts to spread more globally will American fighters start to get heat if they don't travel abroad? It's not meant to be a trick question either, just one I am genuinely interested in.

However in also keeping within the thread, I think Ward was clearly the best fighter in the Super 6 and deserved the title but it was interesting to me that he has largely been given a pass when he didn't go overseas for a single fight. To the best of knowledge every guy had to travel overseas in that comp except Andre but he seemed to cop no heat over it.

As I've mentioned before had Calslappy been in that tournament and refused to fight abroad you can rest assured he would've taken a pummeling on many boards and forums for it (and rightly so).
Mmmm...I don't think it will be in the same sentiment as it is placed for British fighters, or fighters from any other place for that matter. If there is criticism for an American not fighting outside their borders, it will be for fear of giving up a homecourt advantage (much what Ward could be criticized for), but not fear of stepping up in competition or protecting their record (because again, for the most part the best competition is in the US, either from the US or compete in the US).

I'm not here to argue whether one country's fighters are better than another, just that the criticism doesn't hold equal across all countries because the level of boxing is different between nations.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - the ollie reed fan club - 04-11-2012 12:11 AM

gravytrain Wrote:
there's some serious bullshit going on over here now, it isn't like it used to be. Hopkins and Ward are the big name fighters that come to mind who have been fighting the best competition without home cooking.
I certain;y don't think Ward got (or needed) any home cooking, he wins the Super series all day long regardless of where he fights. But don't you think it was a little unfair how he didn't have to travel in that comp, as opposed to everybody else? It wasn't even like he was the biggest name at the start of the tournament and could demand his way.

Hey props to Dan Goosen for making that happen but I for one would've loved to seen him go right into the lion's den like an England and silence Froch's home crowd, or even Denmark or a Germany.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - the ollie reed fan club - 04-11-2012 12:15 AM

Snoop Wrote:Mmmm...I don't think it will be in the same sentiment as it is placed for British fighters, or fighters from any other place for that matter. If there is criticism for an American not fighting outside their borders, it will be for fear of giving up a homecourt advantage (much what Ward could be criticized for), but not fear of stepping up in competition or protecting their record (because again, for the most part the best competition is in the US, either from the US or compete in the US).

I'm not here to argue whether one country's fighters are better than another, just that the criticism doesn't hold equal across all countries because the level of boxing is different between nations.
But I thought that was sort of the point of the whole tournament to scour the globe to find the world's best SMW and see guys having to go into each other's backyards.

As I say, let me be clear I think Ward wins this any which way you slice it, but I also think he escaped with very little criticism for doing it.

I'll say again, say Slappy had still be around and the undisputed king of SMW's and had somehow been coerced into entering this thing, what would've been everyone's take if he had refused to fight outside of Wales?

Even as the undisputed champ he would've got shit on from a great height by most fans, I would've been one of them.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Snoop - 04-11-2012 12:34 AM

the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
Snoop Wrote:Mmmm...I don't think it will be in the same sentiment as it is placed for British fighters, or fighters from any other place for that matter. If there is criticism for an American not fighting outside their borders, it will be for fear of giving up a homecourt advantage (much what Ward could be criticized for), but not fear of stepping up in competition or protecting their record (because again, for the most part the best competition is in the US, either from the US or compete in the US).

But I thought that was sort of the point of the whole tournament to scour the globe to find the world's best SMW and see guys having to go into each other's backyards.

As I say, let me be clear I think Ward wins this any which way you slice it, but I also think he escaped with very little criticism for doing it.

I'll say again, say Slappy had still be around and the undisputed king of SMW's and had somehow been coerced into entering this thing, what would've been everyone's take if he had refused to fight outside of Wales?

Even as the undisputed champ he would've got shit on from a great height by most fans, I would've been one of them.
No we're on the same page. In fact I think Ward in the Super Six is a perfect example of why an American would be criticized for not leaving the country as it clearly wasn't because he was avoiding the best competition.

All I'm saying is that you'd be hard pressed to hear someone saying so-so American fighter is ducking the best competition for not traveling to x-country because most of the best fighters fight in (not necessarily from) America.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - the ollie reed fan club - 04-11-2012 12:41 AM

Snoop Wrote:No we're on the same page. In fact I think Ward in the Super Six is a perfect example of why an American would be criticized for not leaving the country as it clearly wasn't because he was avoiding the best competition.

All I'm saying is that you'd be hard pressed to hear someone saying so-so American fighter is ducking the best competition for not traveling to x-country because most of the best fighters fight in (not necessarily from) America.
Agreed. I just thought it was a good example for this thread.

I have another one in mind but I think it will really upset the Aussie's. I wonder what it could be?.........................Hmmmmm.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - STEVENSKI - 04-11-2012 04:10 AM

the ollie reed fan club Wrote:But don't you think it was a little unfair how he didn't have to travel in that comp, as opposed to everybody else? It wasn't even like he was the biggest name at the start of the tournament and could demand his way.
I would go a little further than that by calling it what it is. Stinking shit served on a silver platter. I mean lets be real Ward has no real fanbase & zero crossover appeal to generate money (at this stage). The guy is not a moneymaker & he should have rightly fought overseas in the S6. The fact that he did not has no bearing on his standing as the 168lb champion. However it does have bearing on his standing in my eyes as a fucking homer.

I can see this prick becoming the next RJJ & never fighting anyone outside the USA. I get a feeling in my left nutsac about this.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - STEVENSKI - 04-11-2012 04:16 AM

the ollie reed fan club Wrote:I have another one in mind but I think it will really upset the Aussie's. I wonder what it could be?.........................Hmmmmm.
Fuck ya looking at ya white cunt. I'd come over & slap ya whitefella but I might spill me beer & the pub blue I am watching is better than that Mundine cunt's skidmarks. Yeeeahhhhhhh nunga nunga white cunt

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ViperSniper - 04-11-2012 04:19 AM

Ward is a good one for a fighter getting a pass! Does Ward actually have a reason to why he's different to the others in the tournament?? Taylor crossed the pond, Dirrell crossed the pond and all the Europeans did too. What will happen if he fights Bute?

Paul Williams didn't get called out enough for his catchweights request against Martinez & the disrespect towards Martinez by being introduced after the defending Champion. Not sure how much Williams had to do with those things but his name is attached to them though!

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - STEVENSKI - 04-11-2012 04:25 AM

When talking about homers I think Jeff Fenech tops the list for a modern fighter who fought 90% of his fights on home soil yet imported quality opposition.

Fenech's record