THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Calling out fighters you thought got a pass (/showthread.php?tid=557)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - blackbelt2003 - 04-11-2012 05:42 AM

In the old days even the top American's wanted to cross the pond to Europe.

It was de rigeur for an American champ to pop across to Britain and take on the British Champ as part of their world title reign. That seems to have fallen by the wayside, now. It's probably because fighters only fight twice a year, so have to maximise revenue and minimise risk to the point of being 'homers'.

Ward should have fought abroad at least once. He was clearly the best in the S6...but for all we know he might have fell apart in an intimidating foreign venue. I don't think he would...but he hasn't proved it, has he? For all his record tells us, the same Carl Froch he beat easily at home he might have struggled with and fell apart fighting him in Nottingham. We just don't know. and Ward missed the opportunity to show us.

Britain has a recent reputation of ripping off visiting foreigners...but the US is as bad, if not worse. The US should still be apologising it's ass off for Lewis-Holyfield I...the worst rip off in the history of rip offs.

Black

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Gandalf The Black - 04-11-2012 09:29 AM

STEVENSKI Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:How many fights did Hatton have outside the UK before he fought Floyd? He almost lost his American debut fight against Collazo then got creamed by Floyd and Pacquiao. I just looked Hatton's record on Boxrec. Every single fight he had was in the UK(Including Tszyu) before the Collazo fight. Protected....maybe not. Avoiding competition......maybe so!
How many fights has Floyd, Roy, Hopkins, DLH & Mosley have outside the USA in total?

Roy: Two both extremely late in his career when he was as done as minute steak cooked for a hour.
Hopkins: had one when he went on the road to win his first real belt & none as a champion. Two in Canada very late in his career.
DLH: Zero
Mosley: Zero

Lets be real here. Hatton ducked no one, fought anyone & fought anywhere. See the thing is that great fighters can fight at home provided

They generate huge gates
They generate maximum buzz in their country
They import the best fighters they can to fight

Not many do that but Hatton certainly did. As for avoiding competition I would be interested to see who you thought he avoided?
In the same fashion that the Beatles didn't become "The Beatles" till they set foot in America. The same applies to the sport of boxing. The mecca of boxing is Madison Square Garden. The point that I'm trying to make is that you're not anybody music or boxing wise until you conquer America.

Hatton and Calzaghe were protected in the fashion that they didn't leave their own backyards to seek out better competition. When they did, one got knocked out twice in three fights. The other fought past their prime fighters.Even Jeff Lacy had to travel to England to Fight Calzaghe. Joe fought a brilliant fight, I give him that. Roy and Hopkins were old when they fought Joe(both still managed to drop him). When Jones was young, he was Superman!!! Super-fast, super-strong and super-skilled. Would have tore Calzaghe up. Remember Jones was coming up two of his worst fights that ended in KO.

I'm not trying to make this into a childish US VS UK crap. If Manny never fought outside the Philipines, I would say the same thing.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ROLLDEEP - 04-11-2012 10:32 AM

Gandalf The Black Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:How many fights did Hatton have outside the UK before he fought Floyd? He almost lost his American debut fight against Collazo then got creamed by Floyd and Pacquiao. I just looked Hatton's record on Boxrec. Every single fight he had was in the UK(Including Tszyu) before the Collazo fight. Protected....maybe not. Avoiding competition......maybe so!
How many fights has Floyd, Roy, Hopkins, DLH & Mosley have outside the USA in total?

Roy: Two both extremely late in his career when he was as done as minute steak cooked for a hour.
Hopkins: had one when he went on the road to win his first real belt & none as a champion. Two in Canada very late in his career.

Lets be real here. Hatton ducked no one, fought anyone & fought anywhere. See the thing is that great fighters can fight at home provided

They generate huge gates

Not many do that but Hatton certainly did. As for avoiding competition I would be interested to see who you thought he avoided?

Hatton and Calzaghe were protected in the fashion that they didn't leave their own backyards to seek out better competition. When they did, one got knocked out twice in three fights. The other fought past their prime fighters.Even Jeff Lacy had to travel to England to Fight Calzaghe. Joe fought a brilliant fight, I give him that. Roy and Hopkins were old when they fought Joe(both still managed to drop him). When Jones was young, he was Superman!!! Super-fast, super-strong and super-skilled. Would have tore Calzaghe up.
You kind of contradict yourself a bit there.

You say they never left, but then go on to say that when they did, they got beat.

I'm not talking about the outcomes of the fights or how good they were. I'm just saying that Hatton, especially a fighter who everyone knew was kind of limited, fought some flipping great fighters, OUTSIDE of his home country.

For a B level fighter, he fought some great names, moved up in weight and travelled to the States to fight. Regardless of the outcomes, he sought after the best.

Calzaghe is a little different. He spent too long with his WBO title, fighting shmucks and shouting from the roof tops about he's one of the best to ever do it, all whilst fighting Mario Veit and Will McIntyre.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - lloyd mayflower - 04-11-2012 02:23 PM

Gandalf The Black Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:

They generate huge gates

In the same fashion that the Beatles didn't become "The Beatles" till they set foot in America. The same applies to the sport of boxing. The mecca of boxing is Madison Square Garden. The point that I'm trying to make is that you're not anybody music or boxing wise until you conquer America.

Hatton and Calzaghe were protected in the fashion that they didn't leave their own backyards to seek out better competition. When they did, one got knocked out twice in three fights. The other fought past their prime fighters.Even Jeff Lacy had to travel to England to Fight Calzaghe. Joe fought a brilliant fight, I give him that. Roy and Hopkins were old when they fought Joe(both still managed to drop him). When Jones was young, he was Superman!!! Super-fast, super-strong and super-skilled. Would have tore Calzaghe up. Remember Jones was coming up two of his worst fights that ended in KO.

I'm not trying to make this into a childish US VS UK crap. If Manny never fought outside the Philipines, I would say the same thing.
Ricky Hatton built up possibly the biggest travelling army of sports fans there has ever been. Only in football are there travelling supports that rival what he took to Vegas for the Floyd fight, and in football, only Scotland and England get close to regular travelling supports of that magnitude. 40,000 people travelling across half the world to see one fighter in one fight is unheard of. Do you know how expensive it is to go to Vegas from here? I do cos I did it 4 times for fights. That shit has never been done by anyone else, the money Ricky Hatton generated over here was immense. America had nothing to offer Ricky except the fight against Floyd which he got for himself (And the PPV money from the UK he earned was huge)

After Kostya Tszyu was dethroned, Ricky was top of the pile at 140, in the ring and at the negotiating table. Like I said earlier, on this subject he is beyond reproach. MSG might be the Mecca of boxing, but it has never seen a night like the one in the MGM when a little short armed drunk turned it into mini Manchester.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Dickagon - 04-11-2012 02:42 PM

the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
gravytrain Wrote:
Snoop Wrote:I think the difference between criticizing a British fighter for not traveling abroad vs criticizing an American fighter for not traveling abroad is that the elite level athletes predominately compete in America, so they are still facing the best comp, whereas it's not so much the case in Britain.
there's some serious bullshit going on over here now, it isn't like it used to be. Hopkins and Ward are the big name fighters that come to mind who have been fighting the best competition without home cooking.
I certain;y don't think Ward got (or needed) any home cooking, he wins the Super series all day long regardless of where he fights. But don't you think it was a little unfair how he didn't have to travel in that comp, as opposed to everybody else? It wasn't even like he was the biggest name at the start of the tournament and could demand his way.

Hey props to Dan Goosen for making that happen but I for one would've loved to seen him go right into the lion's den like an England and silence Froch's home crowd, or even Denmark or a Germany.
yeah, he should have fought outside of America. that isn't the big problem though. this isn't like the 90s were all the American cats are fighting each other and a guy from the UK is expected to come over here and prove himself, this is 2012 where some of the big name American guys are worse than any foreign fighter and they only fight 1 or 2 times a year.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Gandalf The Black - 04-11-2012 03:09 PM

lloyd mayflower Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:

They generate huge gates

Ricky Hatton built up possibly the biggest travelling army of sports fans there has ever been. Only in football are there travelling supports that rival what he took to Vegas for the Floyd fight, and in football, only Scotland and England get close to regular travelling supports of that magnitude. 40,000 people travelling across half the world to see one fighter in one fight is unheard of. Do you know how expensive it is to go to Vegas from here? I do cos I did it 4 times for fights. That shit has never been done by anyone else, the money Ricky Hatton generated over here was immense. America had nothing to offer Ricky except the fight against Floyd which he got for himself (And the PPV money from the UK he earned was huge)

After Kostya Tszyu was dethroned, Ricky was top of the pile at 140, in the ring and at the negotiating table. Like I said earlier, on this subject he is beyond reproach. MSG might be the Mecca of boxing, but it has never seen a night like the one in the MGM when a little short armed drunk turned it into mini Manchester.
Lennox Lewis and Prince Naseem both fought outside of the UK. Both had large followings and they came to the States to watch them fight. I specifically remember the Lewis/Tyson fight. You could barely here the announcers from all the British fans.

The states having nothing to offer Hatton is pure Bollocks(hope I spelled that right). You're nothing in boxing if you haven't fought the best. Sometimes that requires a plane ticket.

If you apply what you said to football(soccer), English Professional Football players should only play each other and never play other countries? Because they have a large following and other countries have nothing to offer with regards to competition?

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - lloyd mayflower - 04-11-2012 03:23 PM

Gandalf The Black Wrote:
lloyd mayflower Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:

They generate huge gates

Lennox Lewis and Prince Naseem both fought outside of the UK. Both had large followings and they came to the States to watch them fight. I specifically remember the Lewis/Tyson fight. You could barely here the announcers from all the British fans.

The states having nothing to offer Hatton is pure Bollocks(hope I spelled that right). You're nothing in boxing if you haven't fought the best. Sometimes that requires a plane ticket.

If you apply what you said to football(soccer), English Professional Football players should only play each other and never play other countries? Because they have a large following and other countries have nothing to offer with regards to competition?
No, I'm just saying Ricky had everything he needed across here, fans, money and big fights, including against the top man in the division. Then when he felt the guys at 140 weren't a challenge, he went to America and won a title at 147, returned to 140 to beat Urango and Castillo, and then another step up to 147 to face the p4p number one, all still in America. Back home for a come back fight against Lazcano, then back to Vegas for Polly Malignaggi then new p4p number one Manny Pac. I dont see where in that sequence Ricky could have done anything better. I just don't see for a single second how he fits into the context of fighters who were given a pass.

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Fitz - 04-11-2012 04:43 PM

gravytrain Wrote:yeah, he should have fought outside of America. that isn't the big problem though. this isn't like the 90s were all the American cats are fighting each other and a guy from the UK is expected to come over here and prove himself, this is 2012 where some of the big name American guys are worse than any foreign fighter and they only fight 1 or 2 times a year.
gravy, speaking the honest truth

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - ViperSniper - 04-11-2012 07:08 PM

I've heard how Hatton is a bum, he is overrated, he is this & he is that, blah but I really can't believe it's actually being discussed on these boards on weather he avoided competition or if he fought the best or not!?!?!? No good!

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Fitz - 04-11-2012 07:16 PM

ViperSniper Wrote:I've heard how Hatton is a bum, he is overrated, he is this & he is that, blah but I really can't believe it's actually being discussed on these boards on weather he avoided competition or if he fought the best or not!?!?!? No good!
Yep, people could call him a bum, overrated and all that, and that's fair enough, he wasn't a great fighter, but was a good fighter.
Though I didn't think the path he took could be questioned.