THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 (/showthread.php?tid=946)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - and the NEW - 10-26-2012 06:40 AM

How do they both go against the likes of Mosley, De La Hoya, Trinidad, Forrest and Quartey at their primes at 147?

That's a lot of fights to break-down, 10 in total, I haven't really done it in my head yet. But I'll be sure to think about it tonight before I post my fantasy outcomes.

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - lloyd mayflower - 10-26-2012 08:48 AM

With Floyd especially, it depends what version we are talking. Many say the current version of Floyd is past prime, but this version stays in the pocket longer and looks like a fairly big welter, whereas the prime floyd at welter didnt stand his ground and would most likely have stunk it up against the likes of a prime mosley.

For starters i think prime mosley still gets frustrated by Floyd but i think Oscar and Felix would win.

Pac at his welterweight best, id put almost all of those fights as a coin toss but leaning towards the other guys to beat pac because they would show him heat that we didnt REALLY find out if he could take at 147

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - blackbelt2003 - 10-26-2012 10:06 AM

Prime Mosley, for a start, would have finished Mayweather in the 2nd when he rocked him. I really can't see Floyd going through twelve rounds vs prime Mosley without being taken out.

Forrest, too, although not as good a fighter as Floyd, has the perfect style to beat him. Mayweather wouldn't get close to Forrest, who would either win a lopsided decision or take him out.

DLH vs Mayweather would be similar to their jr middle fight. Maybe Oscar does a little better but even prime Oscar faded late. Would be a split decision either way.

Floyd would outbox Tito for the most. He may get caught and taken out but overall I think he would be favoured to win. Same with Quartey.

Pac I can't see beating any of them except for maybe Quartey. All the others would be favourites to beat Pacman. He just doesn;t have the resume at welterweight to suggest otherwise.

Black

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - and the NEW - 10-26-2012 04:55 PM

lloyd mayflower Wrote:With Floyd especially, it depends what version we are talking. Many say the current version of Floyd is past prime, but this version stays in the pocket longer and looks like a fairly big welter, whereas the prime floyd at welter didnt stand his ground and would most likely have stunk it up against the likes of a prime mosley.
Sorry I should have clarified this, because it always ends up an issue with fantasy fight predictions. Which version, totally depends on you. Their 'best' night is subjective, so just like any breakdown of a fight, the decision of when fighters were at their respective primes is also your choice. However, it has to be their 147 prime.

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - and the NEW - 10-26-2012 05:04 PM

I'll give it a go.

I agree completely with the Pacquiao breakdown of blackbelt. I think he may be able to edge Quartey (purely on styles and the fact Quartey likes to come forward) and I think he may give a close fight to the rest of the guys mentioned, but I can't see him winning any of them.

As for Floyd. I also think he would give Oscar a close fight. Oscar was far sharper in his prime welter days than when he fought Floyd. But I also don't think Floyd was on his night when he fought Oscar. I'm not sure if the occassion got to him or his fathers words, but he seemed very hesitant of Oscars power. Oscar also had a far better jab in his prime which would have given Floyd problems all night. I'd probably have to call this one a draw.

I think Floyd could beat Quartey. Ike was a machine, but his arsenal was very one dimensional. He only had the same few punches he threw over and over and I think a guy like Floyd would adapt and end up countering him easier than people think.

I've always though Floyd was taylor made for Shane. Shane is so quick, it would trouble Floyds defence and his overhand right was a thing of beauty, let alone the perfect punch to defeat the philly shell. I think Shane beats Floyd comfortably at their welter primes.

Tito was a much better boxer than many give him credit for. The way he threw the laser right against Pea and Carr (men who troubled De La Hoya and the latter Quartey), was incredible. He had lateral movement and we all know his left hook was as destructive as any punch comes. I think Tito has Floyd stressed and wins a boring UD.

Vernon, this is a very hard one. Forrest beat Shane, but that was about his only impressive win. I'm not sure those punches land on Floyd or give him the same type of problems. His jab was sloppy IMHO and I think Floyd could take advantage of that. Vernon was not a killer on the inside either, so I think when Floyd did chose to stand toe to toe and counter, he could really get some good work done. I would probably favour Floyd in this fight.

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - lloyd mayflower - 10-26-2012 05:05 PM

and the NEW Wrote:
lloyd mayflower Wrote:With Floyd especially, it depends what version we are talking. Many say the current version of Floyd is past prime, but this version stays in the pocket longer and looks like a fairly big welter, whereas the prime floyd at welter didnt stand his ground and would most likely have stunk it up against the likes of a prime mosley.
Sorry I should have clarified this, because it always ends up an issue with fantasy fight predictions. Which version, totally depends on you. Their 'best' night is subjective, so just like any breakdown of a fight, the decision of when fighters were at their respective primes is also your choice. However, it has to be their 147 prime.
Yeah i get you, it is an interesting one with Floyd tho, cos over his 147 reign, he has been like two different fighters.

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - and the NEW - 10-26-2012 05:10 PM

lloyd mayflower Wrote:
and the NEW Wrote:
Yeah i get you, it is an interesting one with Floyd tho, cos over his 147 reign, he has been like two different fighters.
Yeh, he has definately mixed it up at 147. But he mixed it up before that at times also, like against Ndou and Corley, both guys he basically just tried to walk down. He definately fights more back to the ropes toe to toe type stuff at Welter though.

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - BrutalBodyShots - 10-26-2012 09:11 PM

Just shooting from the hip and not breaking down all of those fights, I'd probably take all of those guys over both Floyd and Pacquiao at 147.

Floyd and Pacquiao's best divisions were several below 147, where all of those guys were either prime or very near prime at 147. Floyd and Pacquiao both being great fighters wouldn't get blown out by any means, but I just don't think they are very winnable fights fight them.

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - and the NEW - 10-26-2012 11:32 PM

BrutalBodyShots Wrote:Just shooting from the hip and not breaking down all of those fights, I'd probably take all of those guys over both Floyd and Pacquiao at 147.

Floyd and Pacquiao's best divisions were several below 147, where all of those guys were either prime or very near prime at 147. Floyd and Pacquiao both being great fighters wouldn't get blown out by any means, but I just don't think they are very winnable fights fight them.
Fair call too. Although I think Shanes best weight was 135 (maybe 140 if he stayed there longer) and Oscars probably 140 (he wasn't a huge welter when you compare him to Quartey or Tito).

Mayweathers best weight IMHO was 130 his footwork there was impecable. Pacmans best weight? I am not sure. Maybe 140, it seems to favour his ability to use his angles, speed and punch output without having to give up the huge weight disadvantages (although we haven't seen much of him at 140, I think he said himself its his best weight).

Mayweather and Pac amongst the last golden era at 147 - blackbelt2003 - 10-27-2012 03:19 AM

The problem with modern fighters is their rush to get as many belts in as many weights as possible.

Therefore it's so hard to work out actually what their best weight is.

Pac, for instance, has been at his best in weight divisions he's never actually won a world title in (126 and 140). He's had ONE fight at 140, yet that division would probably show him at his best.

In 50 years time, what will we call Pacquiao? A welterweight? A featherweight?

Compare that with Hopkins...a career middleweight. Even other weight jumpers like Roy Jones Jr and Ray Leonard made sure they cemented their legacies in one particular division (lt heavy and welter respectively) outside of all the weight hopping.

Black