THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Mares-Moreno - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Mares-Moreno (/showthread.php?tid=967)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mares-Moreno - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN - 11-10-2012 05:55 PM

I don't see a thread for this fight anywhere, and it's hours away. I think this should be an awesome fight and an awesome clash of styles. Moreno is one of the slickest fighters out there right now, and has some serious skills. Mares isn't scared to face anybody, and has faced some tough fighters. He improved in the Abeko rematch, and seems to be a better fighter since his battle with Perez. However, I think he's bitten off more than he can chew here. This isn't a washed up Eric Morel he's facing tonight. Moreno is a slick dude, and I think he'll outbox Mares tonight. Mares will definitely have his moments, but I'm picking Moreno by close decision.

What do you guys think of this matchup? It should be a solid fight.

Mares-Moreno - boxingcritic - 11-10-2012 06:05 PM

Going to the fight. I'm going with Mares on this one.

Mares-Moreno - blackbelt2003 - 11-10-2012 06:14 PM

Mares should win a tight decision at 122...but if it was at bantam I'd go with Moreno.

Should be good, anyway. Better than fucking Cleverley-Hawk. Fuck's sake.

Black

Mares-Moreno - and the NEW - 11-10-2012 08:49 PM

Will be an interesting style matchup. Moreno no doubt will be on the back foot, looking to counter punch and use his height and range. Mares on the other hand throws more combinations. I think Moreno will make this a tought fight for Mares and probably a very cagey fight. Although I do expect Mares to get the better of any inside battles we see (again though, Moreno will try and not allow them to happen).

Very hard one to pick, I'm leaning towards Mares, but I definately won't be having a bet on this one.

Mares-Moreno - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN - 11-10-2012 10:47 PM

I can definitely see Mares winning the fight too. Moreno has been known to fade late in fights, but you have to wonder if that was because of making weight. I don't know if the weight will be that much of a factor tonight. However, Mares could wear him down and take those last four rounds. Moreno has been the road warrior though, going to other countries to win matches. I love this matchup and think it'll be an awesome fight no matter the result. Moreno will frustrate Mares in the early rounds at least, and I think those rounds will carry the day on the scorecards, with Moreno doing enough in the late rounds to survive and win a round or two.

Mares-Moreno - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN - 11-11-2012 12:26 AM

Awesome card thus far...That Angulo KO might just be KO of the year. That was a vicious left hook, and that dude was out.

I love watching Leo Santa Cruz fight. This dude just brings it every round, and never wears down. The guy he was fighting was tough as nails, and he landed his fair share of shots. However, Santa Cruz just is on a different level when it comes to pressure. It's not wild pressure either, as most of his shots are short and compact. He's probably the most exciting fighter in the sport right now, and it's a shame most don't know who he is.

Mares and Moreno entering the ring now. This is going to be an awesome fight.

Mares-Moreno - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN - 11-11-2012 01:26 AM

Beyond pissed right now...Just lost my satellite at the end of the 8th round. Was turning out to be a good fight too. Mares is one dirty fuck though. He hits low, hits in the back, elbows, and does all that dirty shit. He's been doing it for the past 3 fights too, and I don't get how refs aren't being a little harder on him.

Moreno was fighting a shitty fight though. He was pulling straight back (which allowed him to get hit with those wild right hands), and had no head movement at all. When he backed up, he couldn't do anything. He really needed to move his head more, and he would have found more openings if he did so. Mares was wide open at times, but he had nothing to lose since Moreno couldn't do shit when he backed up.

With that said, Showtime is overrating this performance by Mares as Mares is so inefficient coming forward at times. I gave Moreno 3 of the first 4 rounds, just because Mares came forward and wasn't landing anything. Moreno was landing the cleaner shots and was much more efficient. Of course the knockdown changed the course of this fight, and he hurt Moreno bad. Moreno came back and had a good 7th, but Mares did well in the 8th.

Well, right as I'm typing this the satellite came back, but I missed the 9th and 10th rounds. Don't know how those went, but Moreno finished strong. Mares better keep hoping they can get these refs that let Mares do anything.

He better hope Golden Boy keeps getting these judges too. 120-106 is absolutely ridiculous, and that's just disrespectful to Moreno. I'd love to see Santa Cruz lay Mares the fuck out.

Mares-Moreno - and the NEW - 11-11-2012 01:38 AM

Couldn't agree more KYLE.

Mares was coming in with his head, hit in the kidney, hit low. Moreno wasn't even allowed to push him to range or protect his head when all that butting was taking place. What a joke. That ref was bias as hell.

I thought Mares did well early, Moreno didn't look comfortable, and Mares got the KD. But Moreno took over the second half of the fight. Pretty even fight overall, and I think a draw would have been fair. But as for Mares not losing a round on one card - that judge needs to be sacked immediately. There is just absolutely no penalty for doing a bad job for a judge.

The BS scoring and BS refereeing deducted from what was a pretty good scrap IMHO. I can't wait for somebody to lay out Mares. Whether that is Donaire or Santa Cruz.

Mares-Moreno - ViperSniper - 11-11-2012 01:53 AM

What a fucked up situation Mares opponents are in when they face him..2 against 1. They have to put up with dirty fighting & then get warnings & penalties from the ref for trying to avoid it!??

Mares makes Hopkins look like Wlad the way he comes rushing in head down throwing shots. Mares hits anything he sees which is good except for when it's concerning the trunks. The guy throws elbows, butts, low blows, kidney shots, back shots & even shot to the ass!

Good, exciting handicap fight!

Mares-Moreno - BrutalBodyShots - 11-11-2012 03:20 AM

Mares won the fight. I had it 116-110 just like two of the official judges. I thought the Showtime guys had it a little closer than it really was. I didn't think Moreno was overcoming Mares' pressure/work in most of the situations which is why he won most of the rounds.

After watching this fight I'm confident in picking Donaire over Mares. I saw Moreno hurt Mares twice clearly in the fight, and Moreno is not a big puncher and is especially untested at 122. To Mares' credit he overcame those shots and gave back better than he got. I feel to be successful with Mares' style long term you've gotta have great defense or an iron chin, and I think Mares will come up short in both departments as he progresses.

Santa Cruz I like a lot. Didn't really like seeing him beat up on Morel in his last fight, but tonight I really enjoyed his performance. He's like a smaller, better defensive more polished Margarito. Absolutely love the brutal body shots he throws and his work rate is insane. Said he needs 2 more fights before he gets in there with a Mares type fighter. I wouldn't mind seeing Moreno drop back to 118 and watch these two lock horns.

I'll be curious to see where Angulo goes from here. Very nice power. I never saw his fight with Kirkland - def have to look that one up.

Oh and who the hell was this commentator on Showtime tonight that I've never seen before? Wasn't a fan of him at all.