Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Mosley or Toney - who had the best career?
01-10-2017, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 01:44 PM by blackbelt2003.)
Mosley or Toney - who had the best career?
Was thinking about this one and can't make my mind up.

I think Toney is the more natural fighter and would probably get the nod from purists...but he also wasted such a lot of his career and had some terrible performances.

Mosley, on the other hand, rose (albeit very briefly) to the absolute pinnacle of the p4p rankings...and even after coming down from it gave his all every time out and even re-won a few world titles.

Both have similar kind of stats. So who had the better career?

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2017, 02:38 PM
RE: Mosley or Toney - who had the best career?
For me it's Shane without a doubt. He was involved in more career defining, event level fights. Toney had a great early career, but let the buffet line derail it. Toney squandered his prime, where as Shane made the most of his.

Because the question is who had a better career, you have to give it to Shane.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2017, 07:50 PM
I think you summed it up well Black.

Mosley reached the pinnacle. Had a protracted lightweight reign. Took out a prime Oscar (although should have lost that rematch). Took dangerous fights with Wink and Forrest and did well in both rematches. Took out Margarito, Mayorga and Vargas while they were all past it and I thought he did enough to get a draw, if not beat, Cotto. His losses to Canelo, Pacquiao and Mayweather were when he was pretty much a shell.

But thinking about it, Toney also had some great wins, coming from behind against Nunn, smoked Barkley, beat McCallum, and old wins against Jirov and Holyfield. Lost to RJJ. But he also lost fights he shouldn't have, like to Thadzi and even Griffin.

Give me Mosley, but they aren't too far apart really.
01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Well I'm going to take Toney. He also had a brief run as p4p champion and beat Nunn when I believe Nunn was considered p4p (or very close to it) at the time and by KO. I also love his win over Jirov who was the man at CW when they fought and even though Holyfield was faded no-one ever handled vander like that, before or even after. His performance against Barkley is about a perfect a performance at infighting as you will ever see.

Very very similar careers though and you could probably flip a coin over it.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-10-2017, 09:23 PM
(01-10-2017 08:18 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  Well I'm going to take Toney. He also had a brief run as p4p champion

I forgot about that. Going into the Roy fight, I believe Toney was P4P#1!
01-10-2017, 09:44 PM
(01-10-2017 09:23 PM)and the NEW Wrote:  I forgot about that. Going into the Roy fight, I believe Toney was P4P#1!

I'm pretty sure he was, not sure where Roy was ranked at the time but it must have been one of the closer p4p ranked fights in the last 30 years.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-11-2017, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2017 07:36 AM by ViperSniper.)
Was Mosley ever considered p4p #1? Maybe some just before Forrest possibly? Toney was when he had fought Jones..

In regards to who had the better career? Shane Mosley! They both had some of the greatest chins, both never ducked anyone, both didn't mind bangin it out & both were involved in FOTY fights. James Toney had more skills, fought in more divisions but not being disciplined and not being involved in as many high magnitude fights.

All of Mosleys losses came from elite fighters and many of those losses occurred once he was well past his prime or shot too!

For me, Mosley will go down the greater of the two. I put Mosley pretty high amongst the best in the last 30 years. Probably the best resume of this generation ahead of De La Hoya and Holyfield.
01-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Was Toney p4p no.1?

The Jones fight was in 94, which was when I was a teenage kid and not yet a big boxing fan?

Black
01-11-2017, 01:17 PM
(01-11-2017 12:14 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Was Toney p4p no.1?

The Jones fight was in 94, which was when I was a teenage kid and not yet a big boxing fan?

Black

I wasn't watching boxing then but am pretty positive he was considered #1 in 94'..
01-11-2017, 09:45 PM
(01-11-2017 01:17 PM)ViperSniper Wrote:  I wasn't watching boxing then but am pretty positive he was considered #1 in 94'..

Yes he was.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car Fitz 48 28,657 04-08-2012 06:05 AM
Last Post: ROLLDEEP

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)