Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Wilder - Breazeale May 18 on PPV
05-27-2019, 11:07 AM
RE: Wilder - Breazeale May 18 on PPV
The A-side will require that bonus as their flat guarantee.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2019, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2019 06:37 AM by ViperSniper.)
(05-27-2019 10:51 AM)JD Wrote:  Value is determined by the market.

A-sides will never, ever leave a portion of their value to be determined by the result of the fight.

As a fan, I would love it though.

There would be exceptions like had Shielding upset Canelo..I could still see why/how Canelo could still walk away with the larger split due to obvious & more gigantic gap in marketability between the two. But even then, there could have been something like 15-20% of Canelo's purse would have been deducted from his purse & then be added to Shieldings..had the upset occured.

But overall..there aren't that many A-side stars that should be completely immune to this approach as there would be far more fights happening that didn't involve a handful of exceptions..if not then you'd have to be splitting hairs..

I feel most fights could have a simple 60/40 or 55/45 split, winner takes all! Sounds pretty fair and simple. Then add an extra % on top if it ends in stoppage.

I agree with salvador in the only downside could be fighters jumping on their bikes..but that would still be more exciting to watch than seeing sparring sessions in big fights!
05-27-2019, 12:10 PM
But this portion of the guarantee comes from somewhere.

No A-side will allow a nickel of it to come from their purse...which defeats the purpose.

You’ll have 70/30 and 60/40 splits become 70/25/5 or 60/30/10.

The A-side won’t feel it.
05-28-2019, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2019 12:54 AM by JONdaCON.)
It can and IS done... the UFC does it. So in theory it would have to come from either the promoter or the network.

Extra 10k to each fighter in the best fight of the night.
Extra 10k for each KO.

UFC treats it as a "Bonus"..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-28-2019, 06:56 AM
The UFC is one body with one group of fighters and they handle the promotion.

The way the business of UFC is run couldn’t be further from the way boxing is run.

Moreover, you’re talking $10k bonuses...not 10% of purse guarantees.

If you think Canelo is going to help fund a pool of money that goes to the winner of his fight, you’re crazy.
05-28-2019, 08:52 PM
I'm not comparing how 2 different promotions in 2 different sports are run.. I'm simply pointing out 1 example of where it is done and how it could possibly work.

If Top Rank on ESPN has a 5 fight card.. Arum or ESPN can turn to each fighter on the card and offer them a KO bonus and/or Fight of the Night bonus of whatever.

And you're exactly right.. I'm not talking about a %.. or it coming out of/affecting either fighters purse.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-28-2019, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2019 09:14 PM by ViperSniper.)
(05-28-2019 08:52 PM)JONdaCON Wrote:  I'm not comparing how 2 different promotions in 2 different sports are run.. I'm simply pointing out 1 example of where it is done and how it could possibly work.

If Top Rank on ESPN has a 5 fight card.. Arum or ESPN can turn to each fighter on the card and offer them a KO bonus and/or Fight of the Night bonus of whatever.

And you're exactly right.. I'm not talking about a %.. or it coming out of/affecting either fighters purse.

Exaxtly.

Both sports are not only different but also run & structured completely different. Boxing fans know this & know the reasons behind it!

Obviously there will be exceptions to some fights..but feel most fights could have a 60/40 or 55/45 winner takes all!

If a fight didn't have a winner takes all agreement, then maybe heavy underdogs can get a small percentage of the favourites purse too. It leaves no excuses for fighters & feel you'd get more honest fights!

Of course "A-side" fighters wouldn't like this, but even if they lose in the worst possible way..they'd still walk away from a fight they lost with the bigger slice! Not to mention..this obviously isn't to benefit the "A-side", but to benefit the sport and fans!
05-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Where is the money coming from?

What you seem to be missing is that you’d need every manager and promotional company in unison on this. Won’t happen.

Stars will tell anyone proposing this to eff off because they can.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea or ineffective...I’m saying that the most basic economic principles make it a non starter unless you have some b-siders fighting each other, or sanctioning bodies changing purse bid rules - but then it would only apply to fights that go to purse bid.

In a vacuum, great. In the real world, there is no way to make it happen...because as mentioned, someone like Canelo will tell you to take the money from somewhere else, then when he wins he gets would he would have gotten under the old rules plus more.
05-28-2019, 11:08 PM
(05-28-2019 09:21 PM)JD Wrote:  Where is the money coming from?

What you seem to be missing is that you’d need every manager and promotional company in unison on this. Won’t happen.

Stars will tell anyone proposing this to eff off because they can.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea or ineffective...I’m saying that the most basic economic principles make it a non starter unless you have some b-siders fighting each other, or sanctioning bodies changing purse bid rules - but then it would only apply to fights that go to purse bid.

In a vacuum, great. In the real world, there is no way to make it happen...because as mentioned, someone like Canelo will tell you to take the money from somewhere else, then when he wins he gets would he would have gotten under the old rules plus more.

I'm guessing this hypothetical money in this hypethical scenario would come from the promoter!

I'm just saying it would be nice to see boxing run this way. We all get why the sport couldn't be run like that due to how it is!
05-29-2019, 02:16 AM
But, as JD says, in this hypothetical situation, the 'A' side fighter would already have that money in his guarantee.

And if the promoter came up with more bonuses, the 'A' fighter would just insist it goes into his pot or he walks. A business savvy, multi millionaire Canelo or Floyd wouldnt allow money to be floating around on top that may or may not go to them based on their performance.

It might work further down the pile, though. Put a few grand on for some up and comers or mid level guys who would happily lose a few brain cells extra for it.

Black

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)