Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

If you could have one fighter fight for your life?
01-13-2017, 08:08 AM
RE: If you could have one fighter fight for your life?
(01-13-2017 07:52 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Joe Louis' 'off-centre' technique (as I always understood it) refers to the fact that he was able to put his weight forwards onto the front foot when throwing power shots and pulling on to the back foot slightly when jabbing or getting ready to counter....that's what I mean about having his weight more evenly spread as opposed to just all on the back foot like many fighters from the 1900's-1910's did.

But I agree with you on a lot of the other points, mate. Boxing seems to be in another transition period because of the divide of the amateur/pro codes being unified once again. All those massively successful amateur styles are beginning to be amalgamated with the pro styles to create this lovely Cuban/Russian style. I'm enjoying seeing all this new blood in boxing.

Black

What was scary about Louis was the power he could generate from that little hop forward on to the front foot from what you say was such an evenly spread stance. The number of one punch KO's he gets from what seems like such an innocuous little movement. I've seen many scribes have him as the best puncher in HW history ahead of the likes of Foreman.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you could have one fighter fight for your life? - the ollie reed fan club - 01-13-2017 08:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)