Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

2012 Review
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
2012 Review
So, what things have grabbed your attention this year? Here are a few to start off:

1. Pacquiao getting splattered by JMM

Still can't believe Pac man got laid out like that!
A
2. UK boxing team doing well at the Olympics

And boxing here in the UK has been on the up and up since! Great to see and hear people talking about it once again.

3. Emanuel Steward passing away

What a boxing legend!

4. The 'Religion Unfiltered' thread

Some great discussions and good to see lots of people getting involved.

Any others?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
2012 Review
ROLLDEEP Wrote:So, what things have grabbed your attention this year? Here are a few to start off:

A

And boxing here in the UK has been on the up and up since! Great to see and hear people talking about it once again.

What a boxing legend!

Any others?
I thouroughly enjoyed the mythical Valero v Broner conversation.
12-21-2012, 12:48 PM
2012 Review
lloyd mayflower Wrote:
ROLLDEEP Wrote:So, what things have grabbed your attention this year? Here are a few to start off:

A

What a boxing legend!

Any others?
I thouroughly enjoyed the mythical Valero v Broner conversation.
Ricky Hatton's sad and emotional comeback was one of the highlights (lowlights?) of the year, certainly one of the more memorable moments of my time watching boxing.

Ironically I just couldn't get excited about it until right up to ten minutes before the fight.

Black
12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
2012 Review
I've enjoyed the unanimous backing for Tyson Fury and the equally unanimous condemnation of dipper Price.

Recently I've been proud to see the respect my fellow UK posters have been lauded with in regards to our overseas friends who are keen to praise the effeciency of the NHS and our gun laws.

The overwhelming congratulations afforded to Great Britain for our exceptional hosting of the Olympic games.

And lots of other positive stuff.

Cheers, it's been a good year. Let's hope we can somehow attract a larger posting base in 2013 and continue with the fun.
12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
2012 Review
Floyd's Jail sentence was entertaining...his complaining about the conditions after 2 weeks was probably the highlight.

CEO's "retirement" then subsequent rise from the ashes like the Phoenix.

Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2012, 06:16 PM
2012 Review
So many good highlights and low lights.

On the fighting front, seeing Manny get starched, was a pretty conclusive way to end the year in a fight that turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than anticipated.

Andre Ward continues to handle business although I would like to see him go into the Lion's den just once and do his thing.

And the last round of Chavez/Martinez was just very very special.

Out of all the deaths in the boxing world this year for some reason Manny Steward's hit me the hardest. Maybe it's because I won't be hearing anymore "OH MY GOD's!!!!" and that makes me a little sad.

Hatton's comeback going exactly as planned and Floyd falling apart after 2 weeks in the slammer both amused.

On the BU front, both the Politics and Religion threads, often a powder keg and the ruination of many friendships were both handled respectfully and had much thought provoking content in them.

Call of the year for me was definitely Spyder's,

"Obama's playing checkers while Romney is playing chess!" lol lol

Although I have been going back and forth with the fiery American buzz saw lately in the Politics thread I would once again like to thank him for creating what is the best boxing board on the world wide web.

Another fave moment, and pardon me if I forget the fight it was after, was Method and Beardo's epic meltdown post-fight special; sponsored, I believe in Meth's case, to some kind of powerful concoction high octane fire water. A great example of boxing, alcohol and the keyboard combining to create a great 'grab your popcorn, sit down and watch' moment.

And lastly a special mention to young Fitzwilliam , a man I believe hijack's his brother's account more often than he cares to mention. It takes a special kind of person to admit to botched blow jobs from retards, being stuck in eternal coffee hell with the gym girl and having cougar's pant over one's calves and hands, but he has owned up to it all and kept me very amused in the process.

I thank you for that.

Roll on 2013 (thank God, but not the one the Mayan's worshiped, we are all still alive) and let's see if Adrien Bonehead really is 'the problem' he keeps telling everyone he is.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
12-21-2012, 09:50 PM
2012 Review
Spyder Wrote:Floyd's Jail sentence was entertaining...his complaining about the conditions after 2 weeks was probably the highlight.

Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado.
I'd also have to add Froch-Bute to Alvarado-Rios. Both really great moments - like two superbowls in one year.

I'd forgotten about Floyd's complaining about jail - that was great.

I hate adding to the year's highlights by mentioning Floyd again on principle, but the whole thing with him and 50 Cent (covered shockingly well by FH) was about as fascinating as anything in the news.

Speaking of FH, I clicked on the message board recently to a subject that sounded interesting (something I haven't done since I came here), and I have to say that I am hugely grateful that BU exists because it really does have the best posters I've found on the web. I honestly think Hype needs to close the message board for the good of his site.

Finally, I didn't see Merchant's last broadcast (I read somewhere that it was last week), but I think he's as important as anyone in boxing. A real gift from God to boxing and I will miss him terribly as he added a mountain of class and poetry and righteous grumpiness to our sport.
12-21-2012, 10:09 PM
2012 Review
salvador Wrote:Speaking of FH, I clicked on the message board recently to a subject that sounded interesting (something I haven't done since I came here), and I have to say that I am hugely grateful that BU exists because it really does have the best posters I've found on the web. I honestly think Hype needs to close the message board for the good of his site.

Finally, I didn't see Merchant's last broadcast (I read somewhere that it was last week), but I think he's as important as anyone in boxing. A real gift from God to boxing and I will miss him terribly as he added a mountain of class and poetry and righteous grumpiness to our sport.
FH is a sewer. It's hilarious to occasionally go over there and look at what it has become. Go ahead, trash the "old guard" and whatever... but that is the result. And with Floyd's career waning, that site is going to struggle in the years to come.

And we will march on, owning and hating and ruling supreme in the world of boxing fandom. It's what we do. Best and brightest indeed. #TeamBU

Merchant is, was, and will be excellent. I agree with Dan Rafael's assessment, that Larry is the greatest boxing commentator of all-time. He refused to cater or coddle, and called it exactly as he saw it. That is needed in our sport, and will be missed when he's no longer offering commentary through any outlet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
2012 Review
I will probably unintentionally miss a few, but here are some that standout to me, all for different reasons. The good, the bad and the ugly:
  • Pacquiao getting laid out - Whatever side you were on before the fight, it's hard to argue that this was not good for boxing. This was somewhat shocking, it was an excellent fight that was seen by many, many people and not just us boxing fans and it left a very good impression on the casual fan. One of my brother's friends who always liked boxing, but had recently been following UFC more in the last couple of years watched the fight with us. A few days later he was saying how he forgot just how much he loves boxing, and enjoyed that more than any UFC recently.
    It also brought all those truly memorable Pacquiao photoshop pics. Boxing won that night.
  • Andre Ward truly putting his footdown and everyone on notice. He jumped up another level this year by his destruction of Dawson.
  • The return of Gamboa - He shows vulnerability but he shows that in the best possible way by being too exciting and hot headed. Not from a boxers perspective, but as a viewers perspective. He truly is the complete package. Natural talents, power, speed and explosiveness. Much like Mike Tyson, watching Gamboa you really feel anything can happen but always with the feeling that whatever it is. It's going to be awesome.
    I also really liked how he came back from that knockdown. It was a huge shot.
  • Martinez vs Chavez Jr - It took a while, but this is what boxing is all about. Two true middleweights, one that was the linear/undisputed champion against the second best middleweight. This is boxing and it produced a great 12th round.
  • Froch vs Bute (the exposure of Bute) - This was one of the most destructive performances of the year that was on a high level and a clutch fight.
  • Dawson vs Hopkins II - Wasn't the greatest of fights, but much like Martinez vs Chavez Jr, this is what boxing is about. The two very best guys of the division in the ring. Boxing at its simplest form.
  • Mayweather - A mixed year for him. He was involved in a good fight with Cotto that saw him tested at times. He lost big time as well by once again letting someone do his dirty work and for someone that likes money. He squandered a lot away now.
  • 2012 deaths in boxing
  • Boxings bright future - Regardless on how far they will go, a lot of names that can create interest in certain divisions and certain fights: Mares, Rigondeaux, Donaire, Broner, Rios, Gamboa, Lara, Russel Jr, Canelo, Chavez Jr, Trout, Mathysse, Leo Santa Cruz

12-22-2012, 01:34 AM
2012 Review
? Pacquiao gettin his lights switched off, looking close to dead was a shocker & a great feeling!! As Fitz pointed out, my mate who is a UFC fan ended up saying "..man..I think I like boxing more.." so guilty like as if he was confessing to a murder lol! He has watched many PPV's over the years & said this was by far the most he ever got into a fight! It really was great for boxing! I've Already come across many people to talk to about the fight & you just don't get that!

? Gamboa back in action. Although it was overshadowed by the above! Many guys would have been laid out by the shot that snapped Gamboa's head diagonally that put him down. Surpised to not only see him beat the count but recover so well! This had to be one of the best PPV in a long time!

? Hatton coming out of retirement to only be sent back there from a body shot that ironically was his money punch!

? Martinez-Chavez Jr was a very entertainig fight with a twist at the end that had all on edge for the final round. A fight that needed to happen to clean up all the BS & corruption that became of the Middleweight division. Martinez deservingly got his title back with a dominant UD!

? Dawson-Hopkins II was good to finally see a conclusion between the two after all the calling out & waiting that Dawson had to do to get the fight.

? Ward-Dawson was a very intriguing, big fight that gave people something to talk about before, during & after. Regardless of weight, it was still surprising to see Ward hurt, drop n stop Dawson the way he did, boxing excellent in the process.

? Froch demolishing Bute the way he did! I thought Bute was gonna be MUCH more effective than what he was.

? Mayweather-Cotto was a very entertaining fight that was also a good for boxing. Both fought very well & put on a show!

? Morales getting KO'd by a man so ordinary.

? Mosley to finally retire (lol)

? Mathysse looking more & more of a beast in the ring.

In terms of the world of BU..

? Seeing quality posts, discussions & back n fourths.

? Posters who had me in stitches from the posts/comments/stories was Warlord & STEVENSKI lol lol Too many to remember but if I remember both were on form in the mother/daughter thread lol.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)