Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

So what if it's 17 years too late...
01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
From the AYFKM? File, one of the talked about fights of the 1990s looks to be in the making for an actual fight in the 2010s...

Roy Jones vs. Steve Collins

Quote:Irish boxer Steve Collins announces return to ring after 15 years

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Just 18 months short of his 50th birthday, Steve Collins has announced he is coming out of retirement to fight a man once considered the best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet.

Yet, last night there was no confirmation of any impending Collins fight on Jones's official website and, without a promoter, date or venue either, scepticism is sure to flood any debate on a contest.

The Dubliner, a former world middle and super-middleweight champion, has not boxed in more than 15 years. And while Jones, who celebrates his 44th birthday today, is still in competition, he has become a pale shadow of the man who claimed world titles in the light-middle, middle, super-middle, light-heavy and heavy weight divisions.

While he has (technically) won his last two contests, the American lost his previous three and has been beaten in roughly half of his fights since suffering a brutal second-round knockout in a light-heavyweight title re-match against Antonio Tarver in Las Vegas nine years ago.

His most recent bout was in Poland last June against Pawel Glazewski, an unheralded local opponent who took the fight at a week's notice, and a dubious split decision in Jones's favour drew loud jeers in the hall.

Collins, who made his announcement on Talksport radio in the UK yesterday, won his last 15 contests before being stripped of his WBO super-middleweight crown after withdrawing from a defence against Welshman, Joe Calzaghe, in 1997.

He announced his retirement afterwards, but returned two years later only to collapse while sparring in preparation for a fight with Calzaghe. While subsequent brain scans gave the all clear, Collins indicated that nothing other than a fight with Jones would entice him back into the ring.

Collins said yesterday that he had wanted to fight Jones Jr during the 90s, when both men held world titles, but felt that the American was afraid of him. Now he believes that, once a promoter is secured and all medical tests are passed, the fight should go ahead.

"It's a fight Roy Jones needs," he said. "He claims to be one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters around, but he refused to fight me. I was very happy with my career, but the one fight I wanted was Roy Jones, and when that didn't happen I retired.

"To me, he was afraid of me. I don't think he's a coward, but at the time he was. But now it's happening. I spoke to Roy and we're going to get it on. He wants one more fight before he retires and this is the one he wants. If we get a good offer, we'll split it down the middle."

While there has been no formal confirmation from the Jones camp yet, the American did indicate last December -- in response to Collins's taunts -- that he was interested in such a fight.

"To say I am a coward, you have got to be crazy," said Jones at the time. "I ain't never saying no to fighting him (Collins). I never ran from nobody, we can get it on right now. In the right situation, I'd come to Ireland or the UK."

The Dubliner said he would like between 10 and 12 weeks to get ready.

"I feel like I've never been away. I'm looking forward to it," he said.

"This is still a match. We're the same generation. I wouldn't even consider fighting a guy 15 or 20 years younger than me, because that's not a match. But we're the same age and this is a fair match. It won't be any different to how it would have been 15 years ago".

He insisted however that he will not gamble with his health, if medical tests next week don't clear him "100pc".

He said that, if the fight goes ahead, he will be trained by his brother, Paschal, himself a former boxer.

Ireland head coach Billy Walsh has advised Collins to stay out of the ring.

"Steve is a year younger than me and my advice is that he should stay retired, said Walsh.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/l...z2I8zx12kH

Courtesy of the Belfast Telegraph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I read about this too.

All I have to say on the matter is lol
Find all posts by this user
01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
I hear ya, ROLL...looks like I can finally use these emoticons...

:ermm: Undecided :X
01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I'll watch it. OF COURSE I'll watch it. And I'll have a DVD of it. And we'll be talking about it on here.

Because we can't help it.

Still.... wtf?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
This was talked about a couple of months ago and I thought it must be some kinda wind-up but now it's resurfaced and appears to be gathering legs. Surely not, who the fuck is gonna license Collins after a 15 year lay off at his age? I remember he retired when he was training for Calzaghe and he got sparked whilst sparring. Think he figured it was best to get out of the game there and then, or so the rumour goes anyway.
01-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Steve Collins has obviously run out of money, Roy Jones has seemingly (and bizarrely) run out of money and here we are. Both are beyond shot but I hope Roy knocks this motherfucker into next week.

I shall catch it somewhere on YouTube.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:Steve Collins has obviously run out of money, Roy Jones has seemingly (and bizarrely) run out of money and here we are. Both are beyond shot but I hope Roy knocks this motherfucker into next week.

Roy couldnt knock snow off a rope
01-16-2013, 09:21 PM
lloyd mayflower Wrote:Roy couldnt knock snow off a rope
And as Mickey Rourke once said to me (and this is after he had sparred with him) "Steve Collins couldn't crack an egg." lol

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
IDC IDC IDC IDC I'm a still watch it!
01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
lloyd mayflower Wrote:
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:Steve Collins has obviously run out of money, Roy Jones has seemingly (and bizarrely) run out of money and here we are. Both are beyond shot but I hope Roy knocks this motherfucker into next week.

Roy couldnt knock snow off a rope
lol

And he would knock himself out by putting aftershave on....

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)