Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Floyd Heads to Showtime
02-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
jlupi Wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing---mo...32518.html

" Showtime is guaranteeing Mayweather a minimum buy rate, meaning that Mayweather would have no risk. "
Interesting number:

What Floyd could have gotten with HBO + hipster value for SHOWTIME as number 1 boxing network = what Al Haymon got for Floyd
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
damarvelous1 Wrote:It dawned on me how big Guerrero really is when he fought Berto. I mean, he pushed Berto all over the ring!
I agree KE. I was a little shocked at time at how much bigger than Berto, Guerrero looked. If you asked the casual observer to pick who had just moved up in weight and who the 'natural'at that weight was I bet people would say that it was Berto who had moved up.

On a side note, it is interesting to see Floyd move over to Shwotime. I remember a year or two back when Manny moved over to Showtime Floyd went on about how it was disrespectful to HBO, not showing any loyalty, yadda, yadda yadda.

I guess what's good for the goose...................

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Here's some color on Al Haymon...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/sports...d=all&_r=0
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Method Wrote:Here's some color on Al Haymon...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/sports...d=all&_r=0
Great article.

He's definitely connected.
02-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
I don't think size will have any determining outcome on Guerrero vs Mayweather. They are probably somewhere around the same, perhaps Floyd slightly stronger. But none is so large compared to the other that they will be able to simply walk them down and take the shots like powder puffs.
02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
This ESPN video make me cringe!!! Dude is kissing Mayweather's ass!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...cmLAg6PU#!
02-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Robert Guerrero hasn't fought the biggest names in the sport, and following his rough scrap against Berto, some people are predicting an easy night for Pretty Boy Floyd. There's no argument that Mayweather deserves to be the favourite coming into this fight but for anyone that is looking forward to seeing his perfect record shattered, there may be some hope here.

Guerrero is a competent and skilled fighter. Even though, at first sight, his fight with Berto seemed sloppy, there was actually a lot of sophistication on the inside by both fighters, along with some solid accuracy. Guerrero never stopped coming either, as he constantly pinned Berto on the ropes and was always throwing something, even if they were little shots to the body. He kept working and never let Berto get comfortable. He demonstrated a great tank of gas, and he always appears to be in fantastic physical condition, with the exception of the Aydin fight, where he appeared to be a bit winded at the end. For a good example of how much stamina Guerrero has, watch his fight with Malcolm Klassen, where Guerrero's plan was simply to outwork him with an stream of punches.

That brings us to his versatility. Guerrero can fight in various different styles. Against Litzau, he stayed in the pocket and countered the shit out of him, eventually wearing him down and stopping him. Against Katisidis, he kept his distance, jabbed and countered with sickening uppercuts and left hands whenever Katsidis got too close. He didn't move a lot in that fight. Conversely, against Klassen and Aydin, he opted to move more and throw punches in bunches. Then against Berto we saw him get on the inside and try to fight like Andre Ward. The point is that he's not a one trick pony and should be able to hold his own whether on the inside or on the outside.
In terms of ability to take a punch, well we saw how well he walked through Berto's punches. Now, Mayweather is a sharper puncher, and more versatile in his attack, but this only
means that he's going to have to be on his game if he plans to slow Guerrero down enough to discourage him.

Crushing Guerrero's spirit is also something that's going to be hard to do, not only because he's skilled and well conditioned, but also because this is the fight that the Ghost has been begging for. He showed it by aggressively calling out the big names, bypassing the 140 pound division and taking on a tough challenger in his first fight there, thus showing that he wasn't just all talk. Meanwhile, Mayweather, who will be 36 on fight time, is entering the twilight of his career. He's fought bigger names, just had a hiatus in jail, and didn't seem all that spry in his last fight against Cotto. Add that to the fact that Guerrero's a southpaw and this fight is looking more and more like Jones-Tarver.
02-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
How devastating would this be for Showtime boxing if Floyd lost?

Could this affect Showtime's boxing programming for years as the network stings from such a huge financial loss on a sport it can't be making too much money on already?
02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
salvador Wrote:How devastating would this be for Showtime boxing if Floyd lost?

Could this affect Showtime's boxing programming for years as the network stings from such a huge financial loss on a sport it can't be making too much money on already?
Not at all... It would just set up a rematch!

As far as the fight is concerned... This is the hungriest fighter Floyd has fought in some time. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when the last time Floyd fought someone who was so determined! I certainly favor Floyd in this fight but I see a 116-112, 115-113 type of fight with maybe a bit of controversy.

Honestly, this would be great for Boxing if The Ghost pulled off the upset! We would have an Oscar De La Hoya lite. I'm praying for a great fight! Even with a loss, Robert can make a name for himself and we could have a new superstar in the making! Wouldn't shock me at all if these two fought 2 or 3 times! That would be good for Floyd's legacy as well!
02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
damarvelous1 Wrote:
salvador Wrote:How devastating would this be for Showtime boxing if Floyd lost?

Not at all... It would just set up a rematch!

As far as the fight is concerned... This is the hungriest fighter Floyd has fought in some time. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when the last time Floyd fought someone who was so determined! I certainly favor Floyd in this fight but I see a 116-112, 115-113 type of fight with maybe a bit of controversy.

Honestly, this would be great for Boxing if The Ghost pulled off the upset! We would have an Oscar De La Hoya lite. I'm praying for a great fight! Even with a loss, Robert can make a name for himself and we could have a new superstar in the making! Wouldn't shock me at all if these two fought 2 or 3 times! That would be good for Floyd's legacy as well!
I don't think 1MM people are going to watch a 36 year old Floyd fight if he ain't undefeated - unless he goes out like SRL did in the first Duran fight, which he probably will. Wink

I totally agree that Guerrero will be different for Floyd purely based on the fact that Guerrero is hungry, talented, and willing to tangle, though he might be tailor made for him if Floyd is able to counter him coming in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Floyd Mayweather, Showtime, and the Nevada State Athletic Commission - Hauser Method 10 7,504 10-02-2014 12:42 AM
Last Post: Dickagon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)