Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Floyd Heads to Showtime
02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
salvador Wrote:
damarvelous1 Wrote:
salvador Wrote:How devastating would this be for Showtime boxing if Floyd lost?

Could this affect Showtime's boxing programming for years as the network stings from such a huge financial loss on a sport it can't be making too much money on already?
Not at all... It would just set up a rematch!

As far as the fight is concerned... This is the hungriest fighter Floyd has fought in some time. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when the last time Floyd fought someone who was so determined! I certainly favor Floyd in this fight but I see a 116-112, 115-113 type of fight with maybe a bit of controversy.

Honestly, this would be great for Boxing if The Ghost pulled off the upset! We would have an Oscar De La Hoya lite. I'm praying for a great fight! Even with a loss, Robert can make a name for himself and we could have a new superstar in the making! Wouldn't shock me at all if these two fought 2 or 3 times! That would be good for Floyd's legacy as well!
I don't think 1MM people are going to watch a 36 year old Floyd fight if he ain't undefeated - unless he goes out like SRL did in the first Duran fight, which he probably will. Wink

I totally agree that Guerrero will be different for Floyd purely based on the fact that Guerrero is hungry, talented, and willing to tangle, though he might be tailor made for him if Floyd is able to counter him coming in.
People will pay to watch Floyd whether he loses or not! His "0" is not the only reason people pay to see him!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
damarvelous1 Wrote:
salvador Wrote:
damarvelous1 Wrote:
salvador Wrote:How devastating would this be for Showtime boxing if Floyd lost?

Could this affect Showtime's boxing programming for years as the network stings from such a huge financial loss on a sport it can't be making too much money on already?
Not at all... It would just set up a rematch!

As far as the fight is concerned... This is the hungriest fighter Floyd has fought in some time. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when the last time Floyd fought someone who was so determined! I certainly favor Floyd in this fight but I see a 116-112, 115-113 type of fight with maybe a bit of controversy.

Honestly, this would be great for Boxing if The Ghost pulled off the upset! We would have an Oscar De La Hoya lite. I'm praying for a great fight! Even with a loss, Robert can make a name for himself and we could have a new superstar in the making! Wouldn't shock me at all if these two fought 2 or 3 times! That would be good for Floyd's legacy as well!
I don't think 1MM people are going to watch a 36 year old Floyd fight if he ain't undefeated - unless he goes out like SRL did in the first Duran fight, which he probably will. Wink

I totally agree that Guerrero will be different for Floyd purely based on the fact that Guerrero is hungry, talented, and willing to tangle, though he might be tailor made for him if Floyd is able to counter him coming in.
People will pay to watch Floyd whether he loses or not! His "0" is not the only reason people pay to see him!
At least 50% of people tune in to see him lose or because they believe he's the best.

Nobody is paying for his ppvs because of his style.

If he loses his brand gets crushed.
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
I think Floyd's "0" matters to him and his brand more than any other PPV fighter I can ever remember.
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference... All I'm saying is that if he lost, he would still be a draw! People will still see him fight!

When I think of Floyd, I think of skillfull, controversial, entertaining, etc. his "0" means something but I don't think it's the main reason people watch him fight! I remember when I first started watching Boxing... Chavez was the man! But his number 1 marketing tool was his "0". He was something like 84-0. That's how he was being marketed here in the States. Floyd is being marketed by his "Money" persona. His undefeated record is just the icing on the cake!

So to clarify my stance... If Floyd lost, his marketing ability will take a hit but nothing critical! He would still be a draw! In fact... if the Ghost upsets Floyd... I'd be willing to bet the rematch would sell more!
02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
damarvelous1 Wrote:I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference... All I'm saying is that if he lost, he would still be a draw! People will still see him fight!

When I think of Floyd, I think of skillfull, controversial, entertaining, etc. his "0" means something but I don't think it's the main reason people watch him fight! I remember when I first started watching Boxing... Chavez was the man! But his number 1 marketing tool was his "0". He was something like 84-0. That's how he was being marketed here in the States. Floyd is being marketed by his "Money" persona. His undefeated record is just the icing on the cake!

So to clarify my stance... If Floyd lost, his marketing ability will take a hit but nothing critical! He would still be a draw! In fact... if the Ghost upsets Floyd... I'd be willing to bet the rematch would sell more!
i think of somebody fighting on a big Mexican holiday, with the best B side available and trying to stack the undercard with Mexican cats. it isn't like the dude has done over a million on his own. same thing with Pac, Pac did get fucked with opponents sometimes though. especially Clottey, it's tough to sell a fight when your opponent is just smiling and thanking you.
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Outside of facebook is there any forums out there besides this that is not overwelmed by floyd groupies?
02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Is it not possible that Floyd fights on CBS and NOT PPV?
02-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Of course it is. CBS owns Showtime...much like they had Strikeforce matches on CBS there is no reason they can't have Floyd fighting there.
02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
Method Wrote:Is it not possible that Floyd fights on CBS and NOT PPV?
Sure, he can fight there, he just can't make $45MM a fight on CBS unless CBS decides it wants to lose a ton of money.
02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Floyd Heads to Showtime
salvador Wrote:
Method Wrote:Is it not possible that Floyd fights on CBS and NOT PPV?
Sure, he can fight there, he just can't make $45MM a fight on CBS unless CBS decides it wants to lose a ton of money.
Unless CBS can somehow command the same rates for airtime that they do for the Superbowl.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Floyd Mayweather, Showtime, and the Nevada State Athletic Commission - Hauser Method 10 7,504 10-02-2014 12:42 AM
Last Post: Dickagon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)