Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Favourite style or certain things you like from fighters (or
11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm not really talking about a style of fighters people like (like the typical Mexican), but more little things that certain fighters do. There are some parts I like from fighters, and I try to replicate a certain part. Other times, I just like something they do, but don't necesarily try to replicate it.
Anyways, I will try to name some things that I like, and if it's something I try to do.
  • James Toney - I've always been a big fan of his defense and the way he rolls and the guard he uses when he is stationary. This is the type of defense I try to do at times, and this style has always felt most natural to me as well. I also like to punch, and let my hands go as well how he does when countering from the inside. I'm more of a counter type of guy. I would say that Mayweather's defense comes into play as well, as they are very similar, but probably a little closer to Toney.
  • Miguel Cotto - I use a similar guard to Cotto at times as well while stationary and not going for an attack, and try to replicate his left hook body punching as well. I also like the way he switches to southpaw at times and I like to try to be able to switch to that southpaw stance in transition when punching at times.
  • Vic Darchinyan - There is one punch that I really like from him. He is a southpaw, so it's his left (my right). It's ones of his whipping motion punches that he throws, and usually starts low. It's really awkward and hard to read because the way he whips it, the punch can basically change it's target in a split second. It usually kind of looks like a long range, straight uppercut and it's very easy to switch it to the body the last second, or switch to the head.
  • Bernard Hopkins - I love the way he throws his straight right, from a feint. Probably the thing I like the most from him. I also like how he slides as well to his right when setting his right up. So often when moving, I try to slide similar to how he does.
  • Mike Tyson - Always loved his head movement in his prime. I try it at times, but it doesn't really fit into my style, but still try to replicate it at times and loved the way he moved his head and the way he would move. He is probably my favourite as well when it comes to the way he punches. BIG fan on how he punches, though once again, doesn't come quite as natural with my style. But his punching is probably my favourite of all time.
  • Erik Morales - I like the way he throws one of his combos at times. A 1,2, but the 1 isn't like your typical jab, it's like one of those jabbercuts, then follows with a right. It's sometimes more than the 2 punch combo, and he will throw a 3-4 punch combo with this style.

You don't have to replicate a fighter, lol. But if you do, it would be great to hear parts of fighters you like. If not, just certain aspects that you like from fighters, and what you would like to take from certain fighters, if hypothetically, you wanted to fight.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Good thread.

What I particularly like watching is Tyson throw that 1-2 combo, hook to the body and then uppercut. What is astonishing is he could do it with either hand.

2.30mins of Round 2 against Tubbs is a particularly fine example, it really stunned Tubbs who was game up until that point.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
11-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Chavez's hook to the body then hook downstairs.

Juan Manuel Marquez and his 1-2 left uppercut.

Mayweather's left hook lead, straight right hand. Actually fucking hard to do.

A tricky move that Montiel does when he feints with a right, turns southpaw and then unleashes a left hook.

Cotto's counter left hook. Tight and fast, he jolted Mosley's and Pacquiao's faces with it.

Hopkins when he feints with the right, then moves to the right and finally throws it.
11-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Agree with the Toney's shoulder roll. It makes you almost impossible to hit.

Shane Mosley's footwork...not current obviously, but circa 2000 vs DLH.

Roy's feints. He had dudes frozen with 'em.

Micky Ward's left hook to the body. They way that he threw it, and the speed that it came out was crippling.

Ricky Hatton's tenacity. The way he mugged Tszyu is a perfect example of how to approach a guy that outmatches you.

David Tua's left hook. He would throw that shit from anywhere, but when it landed...good night Irene.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2011, 06:40 AM
I also really liked how Jones threw a left rip to the body.
11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Spyder Wrote:Ricky Hatton's tenacity. The way he mugged Tszyu is a perfect example of how to approach a guy that outmatches you.
But you hate Froch for doing basically the same shit to Dirrell?
11-09-2011, 10:18 AM
The Left Hook, courtesy of Smokin' Joe (may he continue to rip that left in peace).

The Counter, Overhand Straight Right (with a WhipSmash on the finish), courtesy of The Goat.

The Left Jab, courtesy of Larry Holmes.

Tommy Hearns straight right almost simultaneous to a left feint.

Pipino Cuevas' straight right hand.

Benitez defense.

Rocky Marciano's every punch lethality.

FMJ's left hook-straight right combo.

Sweet Pea's movement.

What I am is kind of a larger version of a combination of JMM and Marciano with a WhipSmash on the finish.

WAR JMM!!
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Erik Morales Straight Right to the body. Morales really had it all but just lacked defense. One of the best jabs as well.

Mayweather's pull counter right hand over jab

Toney's counter right

Tyson hook to the body uppercut head

Cotto - left hook to the body

I loved Frazier's relentless inside fighting. Basically destroyed Ali physically in fight 1

Willie Pep/Floyd Mayweather Jr/Pernell Whitakers defensive skills and rignt smarts.

Hopkins all around fight game; being solid fundamentally in all aspects. Plus skills and ring IQ

İmageİmage

TEAM BLACK
11-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Micky Ward's left hook to the body. He was a limited fighter, but when he landed that god damn it hurt dudes.

Klitschko's jab. As boring as they are, they know how to utilize the most important punch in boxing and win fights because of it.

Prime Oscar De La Hoya left hook.
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I always worked on Toney's shoulder roll, just not near as effective as him. Haha.

In my prime, I perfected Ward's double left hook, dropping more than a few dudes with body shots in the process.

In my early stages I used to try and replicate Meldrick Taylor's speed and flurries, it worked well on the bags, I just could not get it good in fights and sparring.

In sparring only, i liked trying trippling up on hooks to the head like Roy Jones, with inferior fighters mainly.

And even at my old age, i train a few young guys, I use Roy Jones' straight right counter over a jab when sparring.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who are your favourite fighters of all-time? and the NEW 35 21,854 10-26-2012 04:41 AM
Last Post: and the NEW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)