Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Amateur boxing gone pro!
04-20-2013, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 08:16 PM by and the NEW.)
Amateur boxing gone pro!
WTF, I knew headgear was being taken away, the age limit extended to compete in elite as 40 (out from 34) and the points going back to some type of 10 point must system as opposed to pitter pat punch scoring.

BUT, another rule: The current rules of the AIBA stipulate that, although pro boxing will be permitted in the next Olympics, the limit for pro bouts engaged in is 20.

PRO boxing is now allowed in the Olympics, if a fighter has had less than 20 pro fights. What a joke. AND, AIBA can make an exception and if the name is big enough, they can allow a guy in with more than 20 pro fights.

I also heard that the qualifying will completely change and that you now must go through the World Championships. So I'm assuming the number of overall fighters at the Olympics will fall dramatically?

This is just a mess. Change a rule or two and that is ok, but it seems like boxing at the Olympics is going to be a completely different game!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2013, 08:22 PM
RE: Amateur boxing gone pro!
(04-20-2013 08:14 PM)and the NEW Wrote:  WTF, I knew headgear was being taken away, the age limit extended to compete in elite as 40 (out from 34) and the points going back to some type of 10 point must system as opposed to pitter pat punch scoring.

BUT, another rule: The current rules of the AIBA stipulate that, although pro boxing will be permitted in the next Olympics, the limit for pro bouts engaged in is 20.

PRO boxing is now allowed in the Olympics, if a fighter has had less than 20 pro fights. What a joke. AND, AIBA can make an exception and if the name is big enough, they can allow a guy in with more than 20 pro fights.

I also heard that the qualifying will completely change and that you now must go through the World Championships. So I'm assuming the number of overall fighters at the Olympics will fall dramatically?

This is just a mess. Change a rule or two and that is ok, but it seems like boxing at the Olympics is going to be a completely different game!

If Rigondeux fights only 2 fights a year he could once again to the Olympics! Big Grin

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
04-20-2013, 08:44 PM
I read a while ago that USABoxing was going to start their own pro league, so guys that want to remain eligible for the Olympics can still do so and make money, which they see as the reason that people go pro.

This seems like something completely different. In the end, almost every other sport in the Olympics allows pro athletes to compete, so it was only a matter of time. And if the quality of fights improve...hey, I'm all for it.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2013, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 09:12 PM by and the NEW.)
I like the romance of the Olympics. The best amateurs in the world facing eachother and then when those elite guys do go pro, it is always so exciting to see how they fare in the pros.

Allowing pros with <20 fights in takes that romance away. I think it is ok if it is guys from poor backgrounds who had to go pro to make a living, but allowing guys like Rigondeaux or even Andre Ward a while ago back in, after they have already obtained gold and gone through the pro ranks with little fights is a bit unfair to the current amateurs.

Although allowing the occassional big name who has >20 fights in will be interesting, particulary, for example, if some guys who went pro at a young age to earn cash like Pacquiao or Alvarez, who are now established pros, are allowed in. It would be entertaining to see how they fare against elite amateurs!
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Just read Wladamir Klitschko wants to finish his boxing career as an amateur!!!! His goal is to become a gold medalist for the 2016 Olympic games!!

What???
04-21-2013, 12:13 AM
(04-20-2013 09:20 PM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Just read Wladamir Klitschko wants to finish his boxing career as an amateur!!!! His goal is to become a gold medalist for the 2016 Olympic games!!

What???

Yeh it's BS.

He has been there, done that and had a pro career.

If a guy turned pro at like 16 and never got the opportunity to fight amateur at a high level, then fair enough to allow them in. But a guy who has already done it all, fukc off, let somebody else have their time in the sun!
04-21-2013, 12:14 AM
I read that too. It seems silly to me. But the US Open is exciting to see amateurs in there mixing it up with Pro golfers. Maybe boxing would be like that too...

04-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Nope! Fuck that. Allowing Rigondeaux in the pro is unfair to professional boxing. He should go back to amateur boxing ang keep on winning golds. After all, he just wants to win.
04-21-2013, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 01:09 AM by and the NEW.)
(04-21-2013 12:50 AM)torvix2000 Wrote:  Nope! Fuck that. Allowing Rigondeaux in the pro is unfair to professional boxing. He should go back to amateur boxing ang keep on winning golds. After all, he just wants to win.

Why be an amateur anymore then? Why not just turn pro, get paid and still get to go for the most prestigeous "amateur" medals in the world.....

Why even have AIBA? Why not have PIBA? Heck, it can be the next alphabet soup title!

Finally we get boxing on a come back and then we get sh*t like this and open scoring systems. The officials that run boxing don't have a fukcin clue!
04-21-2013, 02:16 AM
The one downside that I can see is the effect that it has on the amateur kids. I mean they work REALLY hard to get there, then they have to fight against someone that has the resources of a professional.

But honestly, what is the difference between that and what Cuba has done forever?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  All amateur fights are suspended after US boxing boss says a TheFonz 1 2,490 10-26-2012 03:27 PM
Last Post: Romulus9

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)