Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Matthysse signs with Haymon - Things will now get good for him
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
RE: Matthysse signs with Haymon - Things will now get good for him
Yeah, I don't think Matthysse is a C level fighter. He is definitely better than that. Only time will tell, but eventually Matthysse is going to prove this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Both Matthysse and Maidana are B level fighters who, because of their chins, power, and hearts, fight above their talent levels.

Both guys are willing to take 3 to land 1. God bless them both.
05-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Lucasis MUCH better than Maidana... Not even close. See Devon Alexander for proof.
05-04-2013, 10:23 PM
(05-04-2013 10:14 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  Lucasis MUCH better than Maidana... Not even close. See Devon Alexander for proof.

He's got more skills, but both guys rely on chin and power and we'd really have to see them both in the ring together before we get to sure that it would be so one sided.

Either way, if all boxers fought like them the UFC wouldn't exist because it couldn't compete.
05-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I also think Matthysse is much better than Maidana. He is an extremely heavy handed fighter who is aggressive. But from what I have seen, what separates him from the other cliche types who fit this category is that he seems to have a better ring IQ and calculates his shots. He may still be limited with his tools, but he fights smart and is efficient.
05-04-2013, 10:50 PM
(05-04-2013 10:23 PM)salvador Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 10:14 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  Lucasis MUCH better than Maidana... Not even close. See Devon Alexander for proof.

He's got more skills, but both guys rely on chin and power and we'd really have to see them both in the ring together before we get to sure that it would be so one sided.

Either way, if all boxers fought like them the UFC wouldn't exist because it couldn't compete.

Have you ever seen Lucas fight? He's got some really good boxing skills. If he had an average chin, he still be good! If Maidana had a average chin, he'd be a tomato can.
05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
That's my point with Maidana. He's a tomato can who doesn't know he's a tomato can because his chin is so tough - and so he's not a tomato can.

And he has power.

And he's always on offense.
05-04-2013, 11:22 PM
(05-04-2013 11:14 PM)salvador Wrote:  That's my point with Maidana. He's a tomato can who doesn't know he's a tomato can because his chin is so tough - and so he's not a tomato can.

And he has power.

And he's always on offense.

But he's No Lucas! Not even close.
05-05-2013, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 02:55 AM by and the NEW.)
(05-04-2013 02:37 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  Matthysse certainly isn't C level. Maidana was C level when people were on his jock! Matthysse is better than that! I say that he's very good! I'd put him on the same level as a Garcia.

I would put Garcia a C+. He slayed Morales (still a decent 140lber), slayed Khan and dealt with Judah comfortably. Matthyse on the other hand had great trouble with Judah (if he won, it was barely) and the same with Alexander - a guy who was solidly outboxed by Braldey and probably should have also lost to Kotelnik.

Khan, Peterson, Matthyse, Judah are all C level IMO.

These guys aren't on par with guys like Cotto, Guerrero or Bradley who are B level figters and take care of business when they step in with a C level guy - albeit Bradley nearly blew it last time out.

Matthyse has good boxing skills and IQ, but I think he could do better if he pressed a little more the way Castillo used to do so, in an educated manner. He spends too much time on the outside and that is not where his advantage is.
05-05-2013, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 04:03 AM by ViperSniper.)
Mathysse is much better than Maidana and is also better than Garcia! (appears to take shots better than the two, too). LM may appear a limited/c-level fighter because his game is to come forward.

Mathysse is more than that. He has a solid jab (that he uses), keeps his distance well, puts together punches very well & of course has power in both hands. His ring IQ is better than his skillset.

Rarely you have seen Mathysse punch himself out, look winded or not being in the fight. The guy is more measured & efficient than your come forward-brawlers who don't put as much thought into their attack.

If Maidana & Garcia are considered C fighters, then at worst that would make Mathysse a C+ fighter!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. signs contract with Al Haymon, seeks a big fight boxingcritic 5 4,378 11-04-2014 12:41 PM
Last Post: Decagon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)