Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Pound 4 Pound rankings
10-20-2020, 06:51 AM
RE: Pound 4 Pound rankings
Fury at 3?

Damn, he's had one single victory of note in the last four years, and that was over a guy nobody really had in their p4p anyway (apart from you, apparently LOL).

I think the top four are easy:

Canelo
Crawford
Inoue
Usyk

You can mix up the order if you like but consensus would say it's those four.

After that it gets tricky, and is probably dependent on what you do with Lopez and Loma. Clearly Lopez has to supplant Loma having beaten him...but im loathe to bump him up over proven guys like Santa Cruz and Pacquiao when he's only fought one top level opponent.

Either way, the next five or six would probably have to be (in no order):

Santa Cruz
Spence
Lopez
Loma
Golovkin
Estrada
Beterbiev

You also have some quality little Japanese fighters like Kosei Tanaka and Kazuto Ioka who are three weight champs.

I find it hard to put Fury or Joshua in there - if their records were at flyweight we'd not even have heard of them let alone sticking them in the p4p top ten.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2020, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2020 03:57 AM by ViperSniper.)
(10-20-2020 06:51 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Fury at 3?

Damn, he's had one single victory of note in the last four years, and that was over a guy nobody really had in their p4p anyway (apart from you, apparently LOL).

I think the top four are easy:

Canelo
Crawford
Inoue
Usyk

You can mix up the order if you like but consensus would say it's those four.

After that it gets tricky, and is probably dependent on what you do with Lopez and Loma. Clearly Lopez has to supplant Loma having beaten him...but im loathe to bump him up over proven guys like Santa Cruz and Pacquiao when he's only fought one top level opponent.

Either way, the next five or six would probably have to be (in no order):

Santa Cruz
Spence
Lopez
Loma
Golovkin
Estrada
Beterbiev

You also have some quality little Japanese fighters like Kosei Tanaka and Kazuto Ioka who are three weight champs.

I find it hard to put Fury or Joshua in there - if their records were at flyweight we'd not even have heard of them let alone sticking them in the p4p top ten.

Black

I'm not gonna lie...Fury at 3 looks a tad high but feel he is the #1 of a deep division & has been for the most part relevant for one of the longest amongst the rest p4p & still undefeated.
Many have that mentality of "what have you done for me lately?" when it comes to boxing (p4p). Well IF that is the case, then that 1 notable win you speak of was only this year. More current & bigger than most p4p fighters within the past year or so.

Sure there are other things to consider like longevity, accomplishments, performances, activity ect but always felt wins/competition is a critical criteria.
Out of all the top p4p fighters I'd say some of the best wins they hold would look something like this..

Fury UD Wladamir
Canelo UD GGG
Joshua TKO Wladamir
Fury TKO Wilder
Lopez UD Loma
Canelo KO Kovalev
Inoue UD Donaire
Loma TKO Walters
Santa Cruz UD Frampton
Canelo UD Jacobs

Fury holds the biggest/most historic win against Wlad AND also one of the most recent/relevant statement win over Wilder! Those 2 wins alone trumps many fighters best wins or accomplishments.

Unfortunately Fury doesn't have resume of Canelo nor has the talent, competition & statements of Inoue either.

All things considering, Crawford's best win is Jeff Horn which falls short to other p4p wins, but does have the skill, longevity, unifying 140 still on his side. With recent big wins from others & Crawford not stepping it up, has him sliding down the list.

Usyk has his 0, competition & may have had stiffer comp than Crawford, but doesn't have the longevity/skill in comparison.

I'd have Porter higher but can't due to not having the belts & W's he deserves on his record. Porter should be considered #1 in one of the best divisions in boxing. Pacqiuao may have the best Welterweight resume at the moment but it also isn't the most relevant resume to the current 147 landscape. Porter is the most proven out of the current crop & is slowly building up a mega 147 resume!

Lopez/Loma is tricky & don't feel they should be far apart. This fight helps Lopez more p4p, than it hurts Loma p4p. Still, this loss hurts Loma & now Lopez all of a sudden has one of the best p4p wins in recent years. I could see people having Lopez a tad higher but feel others ahead of him have ither things to show for.

Lopez though will not have to do much from this point on to climb up the rankings after he has proven his worth as a fighter in just 16 fights!

Doesn't take much these days to be p4p & sometimes all it takes is 1 fight for a fighter to prove his worth, while many times it may take a fighter several years & several fights to prove his worth as a (world class) fighter.

Lopez at 16 fights already has a win over a modern great (all time great to many).

Just like AJ did when he beat an aging Wlad at just 16 fights too, except Lopez beat a p4p#1 to many AND is more talented than AJ.

At the moment it won't take much for a fighter to overtake another p4p fighter. 2-10 is difficult, but no doubt Canelo is the current #1 in the world.
01-01-2021, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2021 10:30 AM by blackbelt2003.)
Ok, January 1st 2021. What does everyone's p4p lists look like now?

Here's mine:

1. Canelo Alvarez
2. Terence Crawford
3. Naoya Inoue
4. Oleksandr Usyk
5. Gennadiy Golovkin
6. Teofimo Lopez
7. Vassiliy Lomachenko
8. Errol Spence Jr
9. Juan Francisco Estrada
10. Manny Pacquiao
11. Gervonta Davis
12. Kazuto Ioka
13. Tyson Fury
14. Roman Gonzalez
15. Josh Taylor
16. Jermell Charlo
17. Artur Beterbiev
18. Leo Santa Cruz
19. Anthony Joshua
20. Jermall Charlo
21. Jose Ramirez
22. Wisaksil Wangek
23. Gary Russell Jr
24. Sergey Kovalev
25. Kosei Tanaka

Black

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pound 4 Pound the top current heaviest hitter in Boxing. ViperSniper 43 28,717 10-19-2020 01:54 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper
  The definition of "pound for pound" champion Byrd Man 14 8,966 12-07-2018 03:45 AM
Last Post: JONdaCON
  Pound for Pound (end of 2011) damarvelous1 93 66,526 12-19-2012 04:04 AM
Last Post: and the NEW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)