Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Could/should Cotto move back down to 147?
05-12-2013, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 11:08 PM by ViperSniper.)
Could/should Cotto move back down to 147?
Cotto has come out months ago stating he will have 3 more fights before he retires. Talks of a showdown between him & Canelo continue to happen.

However, it's not a fight I like for Cotto. I think he would get stopped and hurt!

So it got me thinking what other route Cotto could take if he wanted to finish his career on a high!

Move back down to 147?? You got Bradley, Mayweather, Marquez, Alexander, Maidana, Brook, Guerrero, Berto, Ortiz & Provodnikov all at Welterweight.

Considering Cotto has been on a steady decline for years, been through some wars & is on the way out, they don't seem to be the worst fights for him & could still earn decent money aswell!

But can he still make 147? If he can, should he? And who could he still beat out of the lot? Cotto has always appeared to lack size & height at 154!

Or has he left it for too long to be effective?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 11:26 PM
RE: Could/should Cotto move back down to 147?
I think 154 is right for him at this time. While he may be able to "make" 147, I don't think he'd be as physically strong after having to drain down to hit it. Cotto is kind of in one of those crossroads between two divisions where he's a little small for the bigger division but would struggle to make weight/fight in the lower division. There have been a few guys like that over the years like Hatton from 140-147 for example.
05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Cotto should fight Alvarez. If he wins, fight Floyd and in 2 fights he would have banked way more than he could have made fighting 3 devon alexanders. And if he loses to Alvarez, he should retire.

He should end his career like a proud PR, not like a banker. And the Alvarez fight might just end up being his career defining fight.
05-13-2013, 01:07 AM
I think Cotto Alvarez looks alot like Mosley Alvarez except with Cotto not taking the ginger ones shots as well as Shane, it will end in a bloody stoppage. Fun while it lasts.
05-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Cotto has that weird problem where he really can't make 147 anymore without damaging himself and he's not what you would call big 154 pound guy either.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
05-13-2013, 01:27 AM
I think at 154, many of his fights with the top guys will look like the Trout fight for him. I think his optimal weight for his height, reach and power would be 147. If he cant comfortably make 147 anymore then his choice may be fight and continue to lose to the top guys at 154 or retire. Cotto has been great, has a great family and seems like a really nice likeable guy. Hopefully he has some money and can afford to hang em up when he's ready, so he can do other things.
05-13-2013, 02:39 AM
If Cotto could make 147, that's where he should be, no doubt. He wasn't even a big 147 fighter, let alone a 154 fighter. Though I think he is stuck in the middle like it has been pointed out. He may struggle to make 147 as it is.
If he could make 147, he'd be one of the best guys at 147. Other than Mayweather, the 147 division is weak and Cotto would be able to hold down the 147 division even when it was good. He would do very well at 147 if he could still make it.
05-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't think Cotto can comfortably make 147 any more...that's why he had to move up to 154 in the first place. The move gave him a touch more longevity, as I believe if he'd kept boiling down to 147 he would have gotten hurt.

I also agree he's not big enough to mix it up with the likes of Trout/Canelo...but we can't invent another weight class for him, so it's like it or lump it.

He'll get paid well vs Canelo (and that's still a great fight to make), and then he can close out his career with a few good fights at jr middle with no belts at stake. Not every fight has to be for a world title. I'm sure Cotto can make good money and satisfy his fans fighting guys like Angulo/Kirkland at 154 without there having to be a championship on the line. He may be past his best...but he's still better than 99.5% of professional boxers weighing 154lbs or less in the world.

Black
05-13-2013, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 03:11 PM by jlupi.)
cotto should never have went to 154. He's not big enough to be the aggressive fighter that he needs to be. I dont believe for a second that he would have an extraordinary time making 147 unless he's just blowing up between fights.
05-13-2013, 07:28 PM
When Cotto was fighting at jr welter he was constantly 160 pounds on fight night. He could have easily bumped to 147 a few fights earlier around the time he fought Corley because he was draining himself to make that weight. Here it is almost a decade later so I have little doubt that he would struggle quite a bit to hit 147 at this point.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What will be Cotto's next likely move? ViperSniper 16 9,434 06-15-2012 02:08 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)