Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Mayweather vs. Maidana Fight Week Events
04-29-2014, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 06:57 PM by boxingcritic.)
Mayweather vs. Maidana Fight Week Events
WEDNESDAY: MAYWEATHER vs. MAIDANA FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
4 – 5:30 p.m. ET / 1 – 2:30 p.m. PT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZ3715lYS8

FRIDAY: OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN
6 – 7 p.m. ET / 3 – 4 p.m. PT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUuekmGBe2U
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2014, 08:13 PM
RE: Mayweather vs. Maidana Fight Week Events
SATURDAY: POST-FIGHT PRESS CONFERENCE
Immediately following the PPV telecast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMAkMrW23w
04-30-2014, 12:10 PM
I watched Lampley's boxing show this week and was stunned at how borderline disgusted he was with the choice of Maidana as Floyd's next opponent. Lampley said Maidana had absolutely no chance and might win a round or two.

It reminded me of a BT interview with Lampley where he was asked if he missed working with George Foreman: "No".

I wonder if Lampley would have been so blunt about Maidana's chances if the fight was an HBO PPV.
05-01-2014, 03:33 AM
It's been a hard fight to sell, and it's evident with how some of the camp and Mayweather's favourite media outlets have spun it.

Leading up to the Canelo fight, they were saying it was easy work and their typical shit. They could afford to, as a Canelo fight was sellable without the addition spin.
For the Maidana fight, they are talking about him being dangerous.

Quite different to how they spoke about the Canelo fight.
05-01-2014, 04:44 AM
Maidana is a good fighter and a nice guy...but a tough sell. He's not an exciting person, and as well liked as he is inside the ring by purists (and has been in some terrific scraps), the general public just haven't seen those fights and don't know about them.

He will try hard, but this is Mayweather-Baldomir rounds 13-24.

Black
05-01-2014, 07:41 AM
(05-01-2014 03:33 AM)Fitz Wrote:  It's been a hard fight to sell, and it's evident with how some of the camp and Mayweather's favourite media outlets have spun it.

Leading up to the Canelo fight, they were saying it was easy work and their typical shit. They could afford to, as a Canelo fight was sellable without the addition spin.
For the Maidana fight, they are talking about him being dangerous.

Quite different to how they spoke about the Canelo fight.

Agreed, this has been a very interesting build-up. You can just tell by how different they are spinning it that there just isn't the heat in this fight. Despite their protestations to the opposite the Guererro fight clearly tanked and I would suspect that by ticket sales etc they are getting a similar vibe over this fight. Even the usual forums have been very lackluster, except of course for FraudHype which will be lighting up like a fucking Christmas tree.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
(05-01-2014 04:44 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Maidana is a good fighter and a nice guy...but a tough sell. He's not an exciting person, and as well liked as he is inside the ring by purists (and has been in some terrific scraps), the general public just haven't seen those fights and don't know about them.

He will try hard, but this is Mayweather-Baldomir rounds 13-24.

Black

I actually think Maidana is an extremely easy sell and I bet this fight does very well with the Latinos. And if he hadn't gotten shut out by Alexander the critics might be more willing to give him a chance.

I think the real fear here is that it's going to be worse than Floyd-Baldomir because Baldomir had absolutely no power to hurt Floyd and Floyd still pot shotted all night. Floyd is too smart to get anywhere near Maidana because of his odd angles and body work.

Maidana might be my favorite fighter right now, but that said I'm kind of glad that I have to go to a wedding this weekend and won't be buying the fight. If, however, Maidana did pull off the upset I don't think I'll be able to live with myself for missing it because the only way Floyd loses is by ko!
05-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Alright guys, started a radio show at sherdog.
It's my first time out so please forgive my amateur'ness
http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Radio-The-S...lence-3729
05-01-2014, 10:10 PM
I don't know if I'm deluding myself due to the fact that I am going to be buying this fight, like the dirty boxing junkie that I am but does anyone else think that Maidana will be a tougher opopnent than Alvarez and Guerrero were? 7 years ago when people used to say "You have to put pressure on Mayweather." I would reply that that's what he wanted. Well after seeing the Cotto fight, in contrast with the Alvarez and Guerrero bouts, I believe that right now pressure is the best option.

We saw that his legs didn't have the usual spring against Cotto, who applied smart pressure, and it led to a lot of posters here to wonder if Mayweather was finally slowing down. Then against Guerrero and Alvarez, who let him fight at his own pace and didn't force him to move a lot or throw a lot of punches, he seemed invincible again. Fact remains that at 37, maybe pressure will finally affect him, and what better opponent to do that than Maidana who has power, improved defense, a seven year age advantage, and more importantly, isn't afraid to throw haymakers during exchanges which increases his chances of catching the chinny Mayweather. Though I feel that Alvarez also had the power to hurt the Pretty One, Maidana throws them from crazy angles and I expect the feint to the body-left hook upstairs combo than he sued to drop Brooner will work here again.
05-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Dude, Mayweather is gonna hit the canvas on Saturday. I think he'll win, but it's going to be a dramatic fight. i hope so. For $75 f'n bux geez

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mayweather Maidana 2 boxingcritic 312 213,799 09-24-2014 12:02 AM
Last Post: Dickagon
  FLOYD MAYWEATHER GIVES MARCOS MAIDANA A BOXING LESSON Method 13 10,553 09-15-2014 09:04 AM
Last Post: Dickagon
  Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 KingEugene 183 125,525 07-31-2014 12:19 PM
Last Post: damarvelous1

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)