Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who wins a rematch?
Amir Khan
Marcos Maidana
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Khan-Maidana II. Who wins?
06-01-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: Khan-Maidana II. Who wins?
(06-01-2014 06:53 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  It drives me nuts when guys squander their only shot to win a fight; it's their one shot and they don't give themselves the best chance to win.

Reminds me of Gatti when he faced Mayweather. There was probably 1 in 10 people that gave Gatti the punchers chance of landing that one clean left hook. 10 in 10 knew he had to come out and fight to have a chance at it, yet he comes out and decides to BOX with no intentions of fighting a rough fight at all. Similar showing from Canelo, except obviously he was no where near as shop worn.

Wasn't that thanks to Buddy McGirt?

The truth of that fight was that Gatti knew in his heart that he had no chance from the beginning.

It drives me way more crazy when great fighters are behind on the scorecards and DON'T go for broke in the late rounds. Jones/Tarver 3 would be the generic example.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 10:18 PM
(06-01-2014 09:42 PM)salvador Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:53 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  It drives me nuts when guys squander their only shot to win a fight; it's their one shot and they don't give themselves the best chance to win.

Reminds me of Gatti when he faced Mayweather. There was probably 1 in 10 people that gave Gatti the punchers chance of landing that one clean left hook. 10 in 10 knew he had to come out and fight to have a chance at it, yet he comes out and decides to BOX with no intentions of fighting a rough fight at all. Similar showing from Canelo, except obviously he was no where near as shop worn.

The truth of that fight was that Gatti knew in his heart that he had no chance from the beginning.

It drives me way more crazy when great fighters are behind on the scorecards and DON'T go for broke in the late rounds. Jones/Tarver 3 would be the generic example.

That is a bad example Sal. Remember the only reason Roy didn't pick up the pace to win that fight is that he didn't want his pops to get all the credit for the win lol

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
06-02-2014, 05:33 AM

I'm sure Buddy had a lot to do with it, but regardless Gatti's only chance was to win by KO as his ability to win rounds against Mayweather was an impossibility. I don't think it's fair to say a guy has "no chance" in a fight when he can punch. Slim chance yes, but not no chance, unless of course you fought the way Gatti did that night lol. Mayweather was a 4-1 favorite over Gatti and that's because Gatti could punch. There have been far greater upsets in boxing over the years than a 4-1 dog landing an upset KO shot, so to say he had "no chance" isn't accurate.
06-02-2014, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 08:19 AM by salvador.)
(06-02-2014 05:33 AM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  

I'm sure Buddy had a lot to do with it, but regardless Gatti's only chance was to win by KO as his ability to win rounds against Mayweather was an impossibility. I don't think it's fair to say a guy has "no chance" in a fight when he can punch. Slim chance yes, but not no chance, unless of course you fought the way Gatti did that night lol. Mayweather was a 4-1 favorite over Gatti and that's because Gatti could punch. There have been far greater upsets in boxing over the years than a 4-1 dog landing an upset KO shot, so to say he had "no chance" isn't accurate.

If Gatti wasn't so popular it would have been 10-1. Not to mention that they were fighting in Atlantic City and so I assume there was a disproportionate amount of fan money going to the hometown hero.

I remember Gatti sitting ringside at one of Floyd's fights before they fought and all I could think was that Gatti had to know that Floyd was way way way to fast for him but he took the fight anyway. I was shocked that Gatti succumbed to the pressure to fight Floyd.

But I totally agree with you that he should have thrown bombs until the fight was over one way or another.
06-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Also don't forget that Corley only 1 year prior to Mayweather fighting Gatti had Mayweather on queer street for about 20 seconds and stunned him several other times early in their fight. Gatti easily possessed equal or greater power than Corley, and aside from being more shop worn wasn't much less of a fighter than Corley was.

I think a lot of people, myself included thought that if Corley could buzz Mayweather several times, Gatti certainly had a good chance a year later to do the same. If, of course, he came out throwing bombs like we all thought and knew he should. I think the fact that Mayweather looked vulnerable in that fight not long before the Gatti fight tightened up those odds a bit more as well.
06-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Obviously Gatti could have hurt Floyd, but the speed differential was so extreme that if Floyd had chosen to be cautious that he could have won 12-0 from the outside and I think both fighters knew that.
06-03-2014, 12:18 AM
(06-02-2014 09:39 PM)salvador Wrote:  Obviously Gatti could have hurt Floyd, but the speed differential was so extreme that if Floyd had chosen to be cautious that he could have won 12-0 from the outside and I think both fighters knew that.

Absolutely, and I think that can be said of a vast majority of Floyd's opponents. Back when he stuck to the outside he was shutting out his opponents. In recent years though, be it a conscious change or a necessary one due to aging he's been engaging more which allows almost all of his opponents now to nab a few rounds here and there.
06-03-2014, 12:48 AM
パンプス http://www.mikeablexray.com/
コーチ They should keep their legs together and straight where your ideal client will be Check the fit of the cushion before sewing themI know that I glad to see the return of such things !
http://www.mlstoledohomes.com/
http://www.mikeablexray.com/
メンズ double or kingsize bed, sofa bed, it has it tender moments as well. It means that with the right encouragement,!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2014, 12:57 AM
(06-03-2014 12:48 AM)GeorgeTalf Wrote:  コーチ They should keep their legs together and straight where your ideal client will be Check the fit of the cushion before sewing themI know that I glad to see the return of such things !
http://www.mlstoledohomes.com/
http://www.mikeablexray.com/
メンズ double or kingsize bed, sofa bed, it has it tender moments as well. It means that with the right encouragement,!

This is very good advice.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
I love you.

Black

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maidana V Broner- Who wins? the ollie reed fan club 5 3,978 03-25-2014 11:02 PM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)