Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Daniel Cormier versus Jon Jones
07-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Daniel Cormier versus Jon Jones
Who you guys picking, and why?

I've got DC. He's got better footwork than Jones, more power, and better wrestling. He's deceptively fast for a big man too.

Jones's main strength is how well he uses his length to keep guys at range. I think he'll have problems doing that with DC, who has a fast shoot and good takedowns.

I think this match-up is terrible for Jones. He would've been better off fighting Gus again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Daniel Cormier versus Jon Jones
Cormier's still got that lingering leg injury, and he's not going to be able to cover range as well once Jones hits a few of those oblique kicks. Don't forget, his kidneys shut down when he tried making 211 in the Olympics. Sure, he's made 205 comfortably since then, but if he couldn't make weight for the biggest event of his life, he might have trouble cutting weight to fight Jones.

Jones: -195
Cormier: +155

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
07-27-2014, 09:39 PM
(07-27-2014 09:23 PM)Decagon Wrote:  Cormier's still got that lingering leg injury, and he's not going to be able to cover range as well once Jones hits a few of those oblique kicks. Don't forget, his kidneys shut down when he tried making 211 in the Olympics. Sure, he's made 205 comfortably since then, but if he couldn't make weight for the biggest event of his life, he might have trouble cutting weight to fight Jones.

Jones: -195
Cormier: +155

I was worried about the knee injury as well, but DC held off on getting surgery on the off-chance that Gus got hurt, and said he was good to go when he accepted the fight.

I'm not sure how much it will limit him, but he had the same injury going into his fight with Hendo, and it didn't look to slow him down there. Granted Hendo is 800 years old, and matched up horribly with DC.

That said, I agree that Jones will continue his cheap tactics, including oblique kicks and pokes to the eyes.

The weight cutting issue was a concern for me when DC first announced he was dropping to 205, but he's done it twice now with no trouble at all, so it's not at the top of my list of worries for DC. I've not even heard that he had trouble making weight at all either time he fought 205, which tells me he's cutting the right way, and not the wrestling way. (By "the wrestling way" I mean cutting a shitload of water weight a day of even hours before the weigh-in.)

Jones will be the betting favorite going into the fight, which means easy money for anyone betting on DC. DC mauls Jones, I think. There isn't a better big man in the UFC right now except for maybe Cain. And make no mistake, DC is a big man, regardless of the division he's in.
07-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Cormier made 211 a bunch of times... until he didn't. And your reasoning for saying that he isn't cutting water weight is simply flawed. He might be cutting 15 pounds instead of 30, but he's still cutting. Another issue is that he did a lot of running to cut weight in his last two fights at 205. Will he be able to run as much in the lead-up to UFC 178? Too many intangibles. Jones by decision, 48-47.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
07-27-2014, 10:31 PM
I didn't say he wasn't cutting water weight. I said he wasn't cutting "a ton" of water weight a day or hours before weigh-ins. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. At least, according to Cormier.

He's obviously cutting weight to make 205. I don't think I ever said he wasn't. He's cutting a lot. He's just cutting it intelligently, something he wasn't doing in the past. And again, this is all according to Cormier himself.
07-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Point taken.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
08-01-2014, 06:46 AM
I'll take your Cormier bet here Warlord.

I have a mate who loves his UFC and is pretty good at picking winners and he has Cormier also. Looks like great odds if a lot of the experts legitimately think that DC will win.
08-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Jones got cut in camp, so the fight's most likely postponed.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier get into a brawl at UFC 178 media day Warlord 48 40,779 08-21-2014 07:52 PM
Last Post: Spyder

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)