Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who won?
Joe Calzaghe
Bernard Hopkins
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Fights revisited. Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins.
08-01-2014, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 07:43 AM by ViperSniper.)
Fights revisited. Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins.
Both fighters were top pound for pound fighters at the time, both hold the record for most title defenses at Middleweight/Super Middleweight and both one of their biggest fights of their career.

Many believed that Hopkins got robbed against Calzaghe but overall I think it's safe to say there were many mixed opinions of the verdict.

To me I think it was a very close, rough, heated & competitive fight that Joe Calzaghe took.

Some will say that Calzaghe had never been tagged like that before. However I don't recall seeing Hopkins get tagged and most importantly out of his element as much as he was against Joe. Calzaghe workrate (like always) was enough to win the fight.

Who'd you give the fight to?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 07:05 AM by and the NEW.)
RE: Fights revisited. Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins.
I had it to Calzaghe. I only watched it live though, I don't tend to watch BHOP fights more than once often.

BHOP was several years removed from his prime by that point though. Prime for prime I think BHOP was far superior. I personally think his prime was around the time he beat Echols.
08-01-2014, 07:47 AM
(08-01-2014 07:04 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  I had it to Calzaghe. I only watched it live though, I don't tend to watch BHOP fights more than once often.

BHOP was several years removed from his prime by that point though. Prime for prime I think BHOP was far superior. I personally think his prime was around the time he beat Echols.

I'm kind of the same with exception of the Pavlik fight lol
That was a classy fight and performance!
08-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Yes, I realise that is sacrilege around here, but oh well. That is my opinion.
08-01-2014, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 01:38 PM by ViperSniper.)
Also Bernard Hopkins is an interesting fighter to try pin point his peak and his prime. Even more strange is I wouldn't say Hopkins has shown any signs of being even close to 'shot' either!

Hopkins was the man at Light Heavyweight and in most top 3/close to everyone's top 5 best pound for pound in the world at the time! Hopkins has done some of his best work since, so I think Joe got a very good version of Hopkins.

Based on their careers in their divisions I don't think the fight could have been made at a better time than what it was.
08-01-2014, 07:57 AM
(08-01-2014 07:53 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Also Bernard Hopkins is an interesting fighter to try pin point his peak and his prime. Even more strange is I wouldn't say Hopkins has shown any signs of being even close to 'shot' either!

Hopkins was the man at Light Heavyweight and in most top 3, close to everyone's top 5 best pound for pound in the world! Hopkins has done some if his best work since, so I think Joe got a very good version of Hopkins.

Based on their careers in their divisions I don't think the fight coukd have been made at a better time than what he was.

His prime would surely have to be around the Trinidad fight era. Maybe 24 months either side of that fight.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
08-01-2014, 07:58 AM
(08-01-2014 07:49 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  Yes, I realise that is sacrilege around here, but oh well. That is my opinion.

Exactly!! Hopkins seems to be popular amongst diehards and especially here & Calzaghe doesn't have the strongest rep and is a bit of a goofy ass clown lol
08-01-2014, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 08:00 AM by and the NEW.)
(08-01-2014 07:57 AM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 07:53 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Also Bernard Hopkins is an interesting fighter to try pin point his peak and his prime. Even more strange is I wouldn't say Hopkins has shown any signs of being even close to 'shot' either!

Hopkins was the man at Light Heavyweight and in most top 3, close to everyone's top 5 best pound for pound in the world! Hopkins has done some if his best work since, so I think Joe got a very good version of Hopkins.

Based on their careers in their divisions I don't think the fight coukd have been made at a better time than what he was.

His prime would surely have to be around the Trinidad fight era. Maybe 24 months either side of that fight.

Yeah, I think a bit more of his prime time was before the Tito fight than after.
08-01-2014, 10:11 AM
I begrudgingly go with Calzaghe. After a close opening half to the contest, Hopkins went into virtual survival mode, complaining to the ref, bitching and moaning and flopping on the floor to get out of fighting. Joe actually did to Hopkins what prime Hopkins did to his opponents.

Black
08-01-2014, 10:24 AM
The Bhop that schooled Jean Pascal in the second would trash Joe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bernard Hopkins losses ViperSniper 8 652 07-12-2020 11:49 AM
Last Post: Imperius3
  Bernard Hopkins-James Toney @ 160/175? ViperSniper 19 1,144 03-18-2020 02:19 PM
Last Post: Method
  Bernard Hopkins to have farewell fight against Joe Smith Fitz 61 33,902 01-01-2017 05:30 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)