Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Nicholas Walters: Nothing To Gain in Beating Lomachenko!
11-24-2014, 01:28 AM
Nicholas Walters: Nothing To Gain in Beating Lomachenko!
http://www.boxingscene.com/nicholas-walt...nko--84548

Quote:Nicholas Walters: Nothing To Gain in Beating Lomachenko!

By Edward Chaykovsky

WBA featherweight champion Nicholas Walters (25-0, 21KOs) is now a hot name on the market, after last month's impressive knockout of highly regarded Nonito Donaire. Walters is promoted by Top Rank, who also have WBO champion Vasyl Lomachenko (2-1, 1KO) in their stable.

Lomachenko, who captured his world title earlier this year, won two Olympic gold medals and is regarded as one of the best amateur fighters in history. Lomachenko returns later tonight against mandatory challenger Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo as part of the Manny Pacquiao-Chris Algieri undercard in Macau, China.

At this point, despite Lomachenko's fast accomplishments in the pro ranks, Walters doesn't see too much to gain in that fight.

"Listen, I have nothing against Lomachenko — he’s won Olympic medals and did well in the amateur game, but he has just three professional fights. If I’m supposed to fight Lomachenko and I beat Lomachenko, everybody’s gonna say, “Oh he beat the guy with four fights,” Walters said to On The Ropes Boxing Radio .

"There’s nothing for me to gain out of beating a guy with three fights. He has more to gain from fighting me than I have to gain from fighting him. I’m the guy that knocked Nonito out and that’s never happened before and I did it."

The guy Walters would like to face is dangerous puncher Jhonny Gonzalez, who has the WBC's version of the title and the man who last year took out Abner Mares in one round.

"A fight with Johnny Gonzalez would definitely be a fight that I think the world would want to see because he has the Mexican crowd behind him, he definitely has a strong base right there and he said before the fight that he wanted to fight the winner. I want to unify all the belts, I want to own all the belts in featherweight, that’s my dream and that’s my aim," Walters said.

"Everybody’s gonna get their chance, I can guarantee that. The guy that doesn’t get a chance is the guy that doesn’t want to fight the ‘Axe Man.’ Apart from that, that’s a fight that I would definitely like, it’s an interesting fight. I would like to see how I would do against Johnny Gonzalez."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2014, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 02:31 AM by and the NEW.)
RE: Nicholas Walters: Nothing To Gain in Beating Lomachenko!
Man, Walters vs Lomachenko would be the best fight at feather for sure.

But, if they do let it simmer and Walters does pick up another belt (while Lomachenko gets more pro experience), then they could really make it a featherweight mega-fight!

More chance Walters picks up the belt off of Gradovich though, I think he is also with TR. Gonzalez is with GBP. While there isn't a cold war on, if Gradovich is with TR, then that fight is easy to make and less risk than Gonzalez.
12-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Damn, Walters sounds like Floyd in that interview... LOL.
12-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Lomachenko isn't the best amateur fighter in history. What about Teofilo Stevenson? Felix Savon? Lazlo Papp?

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
12-03-2014, 04:20 PM
The article didn't say "the best" it said "one of the best."
12-03-2014, 04:32 PM
D'oh! That's it. I'm giving up Sanka.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Walters-Lomachenko!! Who wins?? ViperSniper 46 27,415 12-03-2016 08:05 PM
Last Post: and the NEW
  Lomachenko and Walters in the works - via Fat Dan Fitz 4 3,626 01-29-2015 10:18 AM
Last Post: damarvelous1
  Nonito Donaire vs Nicholas Walters (on the GGG/Rubio undercard) Fitz 43 28,540 10-22-2014 06:13 AM
Last Post: and the NEW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)