Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

IS COCAINE A PED?
01-08-2015, 04:40 PM
IS COCAINE A PED?
http://socialunderground.com/2015/01/08/...g-testing/

Quote:If you follow the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), by now you know that the sport’s light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones, tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine following an unannounced test by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) December 4 conducted by the WADA-approved Sports Medicine Research & Testing Laboratory in Salt Lake City. According to World Anti-Doping Agency Code (WADA) the test and its result were deemed out of competition due to the fact that they occurred twelve or more days before from the fight itself per WADA Code. Jones has reportedly entered rehab.

Cocaine is not normally considered a performance enhancing drug (PED), in combat sports, but according to a 2013 study out of Cambridge University, that assumption might be wrong.

The general perception about cocaine and weight loss is that the drug acts as an appetite suppressant. According to this study, conducted by Dr. Dr. Karen Ersche titled “The skinny on cocaine: insights into eating behavior and body weight in cocaine-dependent men,” cocaine suppresses the body’s ability to store fat. In her study, Dr. Ersche discovered that cocaine users expressed a preference for fatty foods and carbohydrates and also had patterns of uncontrolled eating. Yet, despite cocaine users’ fatty diets they often experienced weight loss, and their body fat was significantly reduced compared to the control group.”

From the story on the report published on Cambridge’s website, http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/the-s...fm5T.dpuf:

“Dr Ersche: “We were surprised how little body fat the cocaine users had in light of their reported consumption of fatty food. It seems that regular cocaine abuse directly interferes with metabolic processes and thereby reduces body fat. This imbalance between fat intake and fat storage may also explain why these individuals gain so much weight when they stop using cocaine.”

In a sport like MMA, where fighters weigh in at an unnatural weight the day before the fight, in Jones’ case 205 pounds, and then gain a significant amount back in the 36 hours before the fight, altering your body’s ability to store body fat by using cocaine can be an edge.

Note this passage from the pre-fight Deadspin.com article by Greg Howard on Jones-Cormier Jones “weeks out” from the fight: “How Jon Jones Became The Baddest Motherfucker On Earth”:

“When I turn back toward the cage, Jones is still sitting on the stairs. He’s alone; his drenched top is off, revealing a pouch of fat where his six-pack should be. It’s the mark of a fighter still early in his training, who has not yet begun to starve himself in earnest, to cut off food and, finally, water, until he shrinks and tightens again into the baddest motherfucker on Earth. He reaches down, grabs two huge handholds of his belly, and jiggles. Then he smiles.”

After beating Cormier by decision, Jones said in the post-fight press conference that he has no trouble making 205 pounds. Yet he has a “two huge handholds” of belly fat and he tested positive for cocaine December 4, a month out from his fight with Cormier.

Opinion

I don’t know Jon Jones. Never met him. I don’t generally cover MMA. But I do cover PEDs in combat sports http://pound4poundireland.wordpress.com/...thomas-h/. Most recently, I helped clear the name of Cung Le, who was erroneously accused of testing positive for HGH: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/8/694...est-result and http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/24/70...terminate. To me, Jones’ cocaine positive is likely recreational use and whatever benefits he was getting in terms of weight is incidental. Could habitual use help him lose weight easier? Yes. Especially in light of Dr. Ersche’s research. But that isn’t what interests me about this case. Jones’ Testosterone to Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio does.

The average male is somewhere around 1:1. Jones gave three samples. The first was diluted so the sample collectors took another and it was more concentrated. They re-tested Jones December 18. Jones three T/E ratio readings from those sample collections, weeks apart, were 0.19, 0.29 and 0.35. All three are incredibly suspect, in my opinion. Why are Jones’ T/E ratio readings so low? One reason could be the use of synthetic or exogenous (meaning from an outside source) testosterone. When someone uses testosterone like that and does it consistently, the body reacts by shutting down its ability to produce testosterone in order to balance things out.

If Jones had one reading this low, OK. Suspect but OK. But he has three. If the NSAC is following WADA Code as they claim, then there is only one thing to do about Jones’ T/E ratios and that is re-test his urine samples using the Carbon Isotope Ratio testing method. This detects the presence of exogenous testosterone. It is a world-renowned test that costs a mere $450 to do.

It should be noted that BALCO founder turned anti-doping advocate Victor Conte was the first to mention (quite vocally and in a detailed fashion) the potential problem with Jones’ T/E ratio. Also, Dr. Johnny Benjamin, a noted orthopedic spine surgeon mentioned it as well.

Here is a link to an MMAfighting.com article by noted writer Steven Marrocco who interviewed Dr. Don Catlin, known as the godfather of anti-doping and the founder of the UCLA Olympic Testing lab and the science director of the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association:

“Anti-Doping Expert: ‘With Odd Testosterone Reading, CIR Test Needed on Jones’ Samples'”

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/anti-doping...nes-sample

The point being, this theory based on Jones own scientific evidence, is being put forth by experts in the field and writers who understand what they are saying.

I’ll let the science speak for itself. But will Dana White let science speak for Jon Jones? Time will tell.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2018, 12:18 PM
RE: IS COCAINE A PED?
no its actually really dangerous to work out on cocaine.
12-17-2021, 10:00 AM
BANNED
12-17-2021, 01:24 PM
Fuck you, cunt.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
02-11-2022, 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)