Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
03-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
By James SlaterCanada’s Donovan “Razor” Ruddock has not boxed since way back in October of 2001, yet the big-hitting former contender best known for his two losing wars with Mike Tyson is, incredibly, set to fight again this month. According to a news piece in The Toronto Sun, the 51-year-old has been granted a licence by The Ontario Athletic Commission and will fight a six-rounder in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada on the 28th of this month, on a card that will be topped by featherweight Logan McGuinness taking on Luis Armando Suarez.Apparently Ruddock has dropped down from approx 300 pounds to a trim-looking 235 pounds, thanks in part to a vegan diet, and will likely face 44-year-old Raymond Olubowale, 10-6-1(7) on the 28th. Ruddock, who says he is inspired by George Foreman’s successful 1990’s comeback, says he will get past Olubowale and then look to fight for the Canadian title.“I went to the doctor and he said my blood pressure was kind of high,” Ruddock told The Toronto Sun at the end of February. “He said I had to exercise and watch my diet. I walked out of his front door weighing 300-pounds and as of that day I stopped eating everything and I started exercising. It’s a challenge [coming back] and I love challenges. What am I supposed to do, fade away? That’s for regular people. I’m not regular. I want to be different. I train every single day. I found the fountain of youth. I feel like a million dollars.”Ruddock had been set to make a ring return in 2012, yet the fight never got off the ground (happily, according to the critics). But now, Ruddock – who holds a 38-5-1 (29) record and was, in the 1990s a top contender who also fought former or future champions such as Mike Dokes, Tommy Morrison and Lennox Lewis – has found a promoter willing to put him on his card in Don MacDonald, who feels “Razor” will surprise the many critics who have heard abut the former contender’s seemingly crazy idea of boxing again. While Gary Freedman, who is Ruddock’s official promoter, told the newspaper how he hopes Ken Hayashi of the Ontario Commission will go ahead and approve Olubowale as the opponent for March 28th.If Ruddock cannot get past fellow Canadian Olubowale, the comeback will almost certainly fall at the first hurdle, the thinking in Ruddock’s camp goes.Boxing has seen more than its fair share of unlikely comebacks over the years, and “Razor’s” will be up there with the most surprising, should it actually come to fruition this time.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
51. Damn.
03-11-2015, 12:42 AM
I saw this on Box rec the other day....Im not sure what to think about it....on the one hand it felt good seeing an old 90s name on the list of total nobodies at HW....but then 51 years of age....even if he is in excellent condition and the division is desolate....it's hard to imagine anything coming of it.....so what's the point?

And foreman was like late 30's when he started his comeback....51 is crazy.
03-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Guess the trash compactor business didn't work out.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-11-2015, 09:49 AM
(03-11-2015 12:42 AM)BGv4.0 Wrote:  I saw this on Box rec the other day....Im not sure what to think about it....on the one hand it felt good seeing an old 90s name on the list of total nobodies at HW....but then 51 years of age....even if he is in excellent condition and the division is desolate....it's hard to imagine anything coming of it.....so what's the point?

And foreman was like late 30's when he started his comeback....51 is crazy.

I guess it depends on what his goal is. If he's just looking to fight 500 fighters and make a little cash off of his name I get it. But, if he's looking to become a legit champion and fight at the top level he's just making a very poor life decision.

Shit, he's a hair older than Hopkins and even Hopkins who's a genetic freak, hasn't treated his body like an amusement park, hasn't taken a lot of damage and is one of the best fighters of this generation has gotten to the point at his age that he can't beat the best. How's a 51 year old guy that hasn't fought in 10-15 years or whatever that hasn't been in fighting shape in a long time going to be able to compete?
03-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Maybe he should Fight Kimbo Slice in a exhibition fight... lol

I thought i read somewhere he wanted the Canadian title. Im sure he cant live vicariously through his past anymore. People probably stopped recognizing him, i mean the guy was over 300lbs(dont know how many "stones" that is)... people get depressed once they lose the spot light. And clearly after the same bit of attention Holyfield and most recently BHop have been getting. Hopefully he wont be another RJJ.

Side bar: i like the term stones... more then "pounds" for some reason. All measuring should be done that way "Im 11 stone, 4 roccs and a pebble"... im too lazy too google, anyone know the conversion of Pounds to Stones or vice versa?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2015, 11:33 AM
14 lbs in a stone
03-29-2015, 12:08 AM
Ruddock returned to the ring today after 14 years of retirement to get a TKO win in the 5th.
03-29-2015, 08:45 AM
https://youtu.be/q8iSxHNfIuw

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
03-29-2015, 02:45 PM
He struggled to pull the trigger against a punching bag for fuck sake.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Razor Ruddock Returns! Romulus9 13 8,792 05-12-2012 09:48 AM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)