Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

What might have been, sad story!
04-02-2015, 06:27 AM
What might have been, sad story!
It's a shame to have talent and piss it all away! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/24159...-have-been
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 08:48 AM
RE: What might have been, sad story!
He was nice guy. I met him once at a kid's sports fundraiser and chatted for ten minutes just before he turned pro. I rooted for him, even when he first lost to Danny Williams. Even in that loss he almost turned it around and showed heart.

The problem was, he had strange 'switch off' periods mid-career where he looked disinterested and overly cautious. And when he finally got the bit between his teeth and trained his ass off, he was in his 40's and couldn't take a shot.

He had all the skill and talent in the world, but I don't think he ever had the resilience or the ruthlessness in him to be a genuine world title contender.

Having said that, Olympic Gold and the European Title is hardly being a failure, is it? His performance when knocking out Michael Sprott was magnificent...the opposite of the rest of his career. In that fight he relied on power, guts and fitness...and came through in dramatic fashion.

I wish him well in retirement and hope he finds a way to recoup some of his earnings in boxing.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)