Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Method Wrote:You wanna start direct quoting the announcers? Cuz I can go home and watch it and pull up a NUMBER of comments they made likening it to the "FIRST FIGHT".

Kellerman said a lot of things. Went in on Margarito in the post fight interview, and then basically praised him in the production wrap up. Really made no sense to me, but whatever.
I just brought it up, because it was the 9th round and the last round of action we saw, and I noticed you mentioned the commentary bring up similarities throughout the fight (which they did at some stages, but they contradicted themselves a bit during the broadcast) and that was something that stood out to me.
Kellerman also mentioned during the round how Margarito's sledgehammer punchers have not shown up tonight and pointed out how Cotto's face wasn't busted up like in the first fight.
I just brought those things up, because I was fresh from watching the fight again, and I didn't want to forget anything.

But I'm sure you will watch the replay on the weekend and you perhaps will have some more input. Regardless, like I said pages ago. It's been very refreshing to have a debate with someone that isn't an idiot. It feels like a while, lol.

This two fights between both these guys will probably be one of my favourite modern day rivalries. Really enjoyed both fights and now the back story with Margarito and the plaster that came out just made the whole 2 part fight between these guys kinda special (even for the wrong reasons). I kinda hope they leave it like this rather than getting a 3rd fight. Really loved both the fights.

I also found it kinda strange that Margarito has a win over Cotto at 147 and Cotto has a win over Margarito at 154, lol. On paper, it should be the other way, Cotto winning at 147 and Margarito at 154, haha.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Then again, consider the smaller gloves (8 oz) at 147 (and Margs got to wear Reyes) vs 10 oz gloves at 154 and Cotto mandated they both use Everlast...who knows.

Could you imagine if Taylor vs Chavez got stopped after 9? People would be LAUDING Taylor as one of the GOAT's, and talking about a landslide victory.
12-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Method Wrote:Could you imagine if Taylor vs Chavez got stopped after 9? People would be LAUDING Taylor as one of the GOAT's, and talking about a landslide victory.
There was NO reason to stop Taylor/Chavez after round 9. Margarito's eye was a mess, and Chavez was relatively unmarked. Plus Chavez was more effective after round 9 rounds than Margarito was. And I have watched that fight more than any fight in my life, besides the shitty ending, that's the greatest fight I have ever seen.
12-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Lil-Lightsout Wrote:
Method Wrote:Could you imagine if Taylor vs Chavez got stopped after 9? People would be LAUDING Taylor as one of the GOAT's, and talking about a landslide victory.
There was NO reason to stop Taylor/Chavez after round 9. Margarito's eye was a mess, and Chavez was relatively unmarked. Plus Chavez was more effective after round 9 rounds than Margarito was. And I have watched that fight more than any fight in my life, besides the shitty ending, that's the greatest fight I have ever seen.
This is true.
12-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Fitz Wrote:
Lil-Lightsout Wrote:
This is true.
Taylor was special he had the fastest hands i've ever seen in boxing.

I agree Chavez/Taylor was one of the all time greatest fights a true masterpiece.
12-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Lil-Lightsout Wrote:
There was NO reason to stop Taylor/Chavez after round 9.
I never said there was. Arguably, there was no reason to stop Marg/Cotto II after 9 what you didnt stop after 5. Or when you let the undercard fighters take worse beatings. Arguably.

I said "could you imagine" if it had. If you had never saw the championship rounds? People would have had you believing that the chances were slim that Chavez would have come back to stop Taylor. Its not about Chavez / Taylor. Its about the fact that some are arguing that Margarito stoo little to no chance of doing anything to win the fight in the last 3 rounds, anyway, and we know that that is just not the case. Especially with a style like Margarito's. As some evidence, we've seen fights turn like Chavez/Taylor...where Taylor finally succumbed to the pressure, and Jermain Taylor vs Froch, hell, even the first fight w Cotto/Marg.

Im just raising the point. Im not saying it would have mattered. Im saying it very damn well COULD have mattered, and I think its foolish to dismiss it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Miguel Cotto-Daniel Geale fight thread. ViperSniper 82 51,736 06-11-2015 07:36 AM
Last Post: and the NEW
  Morales vs. Garcia Discussion Thread Byrd Man 49 28,456 10-27-2012 07:57 PM
Last Post: BrutalBodyShots
  Kessler v. Green Discussion Thread Byrd Man 15 9,250 05-21-2012 10:55 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)