Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

When the original movie is not the best.
06-16-2015, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 04:22 AM by ViperSniper.)
When the original movie is not the best.
We always here how a movie was not better than the original..which is usually the case. What are some of the exceptions?

The biggest one for me is Terminator. I think the 2nd was better than the original. No knock on the first at all but the second really was that good a film.

The first Friday the 13th was good, but not the best out of the lot (which ended up being too many like many horrors)

Wayne's World 2 was just as good..if not better than the first. Both fairly even.

Batman 2 edges Batman.

Sure more will come up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2015, 09:10 PM
RE: When the original movie is not the best.
If we're talking about sequels and not remakes..., The Empire Strikes Back, The Road Warrior, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and the Godfather II are all widely considerd to be better than their original counterparts.
06-24-2015, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 04:23 AM by ViperSniper.)
(06-24-2015 09:10 PM)Warlord Wrote:  If we're talking about sequels and not remakes..., The Empire Strikes Back, The Road Warrior, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and the Godfather II are all widely considerd to be better than their original counterparts.

I was talking about sequels but i guess remakes can be included.

Interesting that you brought up godfather II. I actually got around to watching all 3 for the first time this year only. The first and second were pretty even but now that you mentioned it, Godfather II may edge the original!
Al Pacinos character gets worse within the sequals (not just through the script). Anything with Robert De Niro's character in the 2nd is gold! Probs my fav through the series!
06-25-2015, 12:26 AM
The Expendables 2 and 3 were better than the first. Fast and Furious got better around Fast 5. Evil Dead and Army of Darkness got better as the franchise continued.

Weird how smaller movies got better when they got massive amounts of money injected into them...

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2015, 12:53 AM
I must be cracked in the head a little bit, because I think I preferred all the originals (Evil Dead, Mad Max, the Godfather, and Star Trek: TMP) to their sequels.

All the Expendables sucked. And that hurts, because Stallone is my favorite actor.
06-25-2015, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 04:28 AM by ViperSniper.)
Growing up I would have said Rocky 4 was better than the original...and the best of them all. But after rewatching them all a couple of years ago (except 5..it's the ONLY rocky i still haven't seen) i would say the the first 3 were all pretty even.
06-25-2015, 10:21 AM
The Expendables were fun movies for what they were meant to be. They weren't made for critical acclaim, or to be broken down and analyzed in Film school. They finally answered those debates that we used to have as kids...who'd win between Rambo and Dutch from Predator? Jason Statham from the Transporter vs Jet Li from Fist of Legend? They took all of the action heroes that kids from the 80's and 90's grew up watching, and put them all on screen together. The first one got a little corny at times with Sly awkwardly trying to cram every actor's famous catch phrases into the script, but the latter 2 dialed back on that. I feel like they stumbled onto a formula...a lot like Fast/Furious...where they can churn out vaguely related sequels, and pack the screen with back-to-back action sequences.

Evil Dead 2 was basically Evil Dead 1 with more money and a more experienced Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. Army of Darkness was my favorite of the originals.

The Godfather...that's like asking, what's better steak or lobster? The answer is BOTH!

06-25-2015, 11:16 AM
If you take the recent star wars films as a franchise in its own right, episode 3 blew 1 and 2 clean out the water
06-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Star Wars Episodes I-III? Never heard of them.
06-25-2015, 02:27 PM
(06-25-2015 01:21 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Star Wars Episodes I-III? Never heard of them.
Neither has my daughter. I know that she'll read about them at some point on the internet, but I'm delaying that conversation for many years into the future. I guess that's when we'll have, "The Talk".

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)