Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Floyd's Top 5 "Best Ever"
08-09-2015, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 05:19 AM by Snoop.)
Floyd's Top 5 "Best Ever"
So for those who have Facebook, you can see the video here:

https://www.facebook.com/atrbox/videos/1...398908478/

For those that don't, lemme try to sum it up as best I can. Floyd was on some Spanish-speaking show (I think in Mexico) and was asked to rate his Top 5 "Best Ever" fighters in the sport of boxing. Amongst the choices were Floyd Mayweather Jr., Henry Armstrong, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Pernell Whitaker. Here's what happened.

First the hosts put out Muhammad Ali as number one, kind of as a joke. As expected, Floyd put it back and put himself in the top spot. No surprise there. But here's his list at the end:

1) Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2) Roberto Duran
3) Pernell Whitaker
4) Julio Cesar Chavez
5) Muhammad Ali

Here's his reasoning. He chose himself for the obvious reason. He made 300 million in 36 mins rolleyes. Roberto Duran came in second for him starting at lightweight and going all the way up to middleweight (higher than that of course, but up until he was relevant). He put Whitaker third for his defense and the fact that he didn't start losing until the end of his career. Julio Cesar Chavez came after because he had at one point a 89-0 record (fact check), which make me wonder how he justifies having nearly only half of that ledger. Finally, Muhammad Ali came in last because he lost to Leon Spinks when Spinks only had 6 fights and because he only fought in one weight class (Haha. WTF?)

I mean I used to always respect Floyd's boxing knowledge and understanding of the history of the sport, but this list leaves me second-guessing my assessment. It's just confusing.

What do y'all think?

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: Floyd's Top 5 "Best Ever"
(08-09-2015 05:16 AM)Snoop Wrote:  So for those who have Facebook, you can see the video here:

https://www.facebook.com/atrbox/videos/1...398908478/

For those that don't, lemme try to sum it up as best I can. Floyd was on some Spanish-speaking show (I think in Mexico) and was asked to rate his Top 5 "Best Ever" fighters in the sport of boxing. Amongst the choices were Floyd Mayweather Jr., Henry Armstrong, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Pernell Whitaker. Here's what happened.

First the hosts put out Muhammad Ali as number one, kind of as a joke. As expected, Floyd put it back and put himself in the top spot. No surprise there. But here's his list at the end:

1) Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2) Roberto Duran
3) Pernell Whitaker
4) Julio Cesar Chavez
5) Muhammad Ali

Here's his reasoning. He chose himself for the obvious reason. He made 300 million in 36 mins rolleyes. Roberto Duran came in second for him starting at lightweight and going all the way up to middleweight (higher than that of course, but up until he was relevant). He put Whitaker third for his defense and the fact that he didn't start losing until the end of his career. Julio Cesar Chavez came after because he had at one point a 89-0 record (fact check), which make me wonder how he justifies having nearly only half of that ledger. Finally, Muhammad Ali came in last because he lost to Leon Spinks when Spinks only had 6 fights and because he only fought in one weight class (Haha. WTF?)

I mean I used to always respect Floyd's boxing knowledge and understanding of the history of the sport, but this list leaves me second-guessing my assessment. It's just confusing.

What do y'all think?

Floyd's knowledge is no better than that of 90% of his fans.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Floyd's in ring intelligence is unmatched today. Floyd's knowledge of fighters historic significance and standing is below that of the high level boxing fan.
08-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Compared to his era, JD? Because some dudes would've beat Floyd's ass, Floyd just never signed the contract. Going back to HOF or GOAT level people it'd be worse.
08-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Compared to this era...yeah. I'm not saying he could never have been beat, I'm just speaking to his in ring intelligence.
08-09-2015, 02:48 PM
In fairness, if I analyze a bit deeper...Hopkins, Barrera, JMM and Toney are on his level.
08-09-2015, 08:20 PM
If he would've beat Wright and Mosley when he could've fought them that'd have been interesting.
08-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Floyd is a guy who is constantly searching for ways to build himself up. He will actually rank previous fighters in ways he thinks will make himself look better instead of just honestly saying who's best.

Black
08-11-2015, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 08:17 AM by Byrd Man.)
It was on ESPN Deportes....

Floyd has a hardon against heavyweights for whatever reason, constantly denigrating them (they did it in one weight class). Not sure what's up what's up with that.

I'm surprised Marciano doesn't rank higher. I mean..technically he's 49-0 and whatnot. Guess that only buys Floyd that TBE Talk. But Marciano never won 300 million in 36 minutes.

I agree with the person who said that Floyd's IN RING intelligence is bar none and only the hateristic of all haters would bother denying it. It's when you get him out of the ring and make him think on his feet, he gets tripped up.

Get him flustered and he starts stammering and stuttering and he comes off like a rapper who can't freestyle trying to freestyle and doing such, badly.

And I don't fault him for that, it's just not his strong suit. He makes it easy to mock him when he carries himself the way he does.

Now my boxing knowledge is nowhere that of the great Floyd Mayweather. As his family will gladly tell you, just ask them, I don't know shit about boxing.

And I would put my knowledge of the greats of the sport and their records and where they would be placed, at the bottom of list. Due to my ADHD I can't focus on things and so I can't watch as many fights as I'd like to. I follow the sport, reading up as much as I can, but I don't see nearly the fights I wish.

However going off that list they supplied, I'm pretty sure I can put a better list up there:

Byrdman's Top 5 Heavyweight

01. Chris Byrd
02. Chris Byrd
03. Chr

okay seriously here.

Byrdman's Top 5 Heavyweights (based on supplied boxers by ESPN Deportes)

01. Sugar Ray Robinson
02. Muhammad Ali
03. Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
04. Joe Louis
05. Henry Armstrong

NOTE: all that's just off the top of my head thinking of what I can recall at the moment. I've long had Sugar Ray as #1. I despised Ali for how he did Frazier after Frazier put his reputation on the line and vouched for him to be reinstated to boxing, put money in his pocket when he couldn't afford to pay bills, and to buy food, to only turn around and when a fight was made between them to to so far over the top racial with his insults. That was, in my eyes, just such an ultimate betrayal that I never really got over that after watching it in that documentary about their trilogy and how the two still have that hatred to this day, with Frazier gloating about Ali's parkinsons and saying "I did that to him", just fucking horrible shit man.

But you can't drop Ali down to gotdamn #5 for reasons that I listed, which in my eyes would at least be an appropriately EMOTIONAL reaction rather than the irrational "he only fought in one weight" nonsense that Floyd came with.

Meh.

I'm sure my list is bullshit too, and I didn't even make 300 million in 36 minutes.
08-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Byrd I can see Floyd exactly as you described him.. I have a brother just like that....

My younger brother is 6'4 180... He's been that size since he was in like 4th grade. Basketball is all he knows. He would score 60 points a game, completely dominate the court and looked like a man playing with kids.. As soon as he walked off the floor, he looked like a new born deer. Tripping over his 2 left feet, walking into shyt, studdering, barely can put his sentences together... I mean honestly, he's remedial AF, possibly half retarded but you'd never guess it by seeming him on the court..

That's always blown my mind how different he looks playing BBall to just day to day activities... He gets confident, talks shyt, and looks like he's painting a masterpiece.. But once he steps off he looks like how all the NBA players looked in SpaceJam after the aliens took their talent. Lol

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)