Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Jarryd Haye-How good is he?
08-28-2015, 10:31 PM
RE: Jarryd Haye-How good is he?
(08-28-2015 07:07 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  Is he a star in the making Viper, or just an average joe at this point?

Too early to say, these guys are usually really good athletes though still very raw and learning to 'read' the game is usually the hardest part.
Collingwood also have an American, Mason Cox who is on their rookie list, when he debuts in the AFL, he will become the tallest player to play AFL, he is about 1cm taller than Aaron Sandilands who is currently the tallest to play.
Mason Cox has been playing in the VFL side this year and it has been his first year. The club have been very impressed with him and they say he has picked up the game extraordinarily quick.
He had a well paying engineering job lined up for him in the States but decided to turn it down for a once in a lifetime opportunity to play AFL. He has never picked up a football before Collingwood took him as an international rookie.

There are currently 4 Americans on AFL lists at the moment.
-Mason Cox
-Jason Holmes
-Eric Wallace
-Patrick Mitchell

I know Mason Cox played basketball and soccer before (not sure at what level) though all other 3 were US college basketball players.

Jason Holmes was the first American to play an official AFL game which he did last week. Not sure where the other guys are at, though I think Cox may get a game for Collingwood next year.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2015, 04:24 AM
I didn't realize it, but the AFL has been actively recruiting American athletes. IMG Academy has a great reputation for the athletes that it produces, and they have seemingly teamed up with the AFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlFIVhmljQ

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2015, 07:07 AM
(08-29-2015 04:24 AM)Spyder Wrote:  I didn't realize it, but the AFL has been actively recruiting American athletes. IMG Academy has a great reputation for the athletes that it produces, and they have seemingly teamed up with the AFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlFIVhmljQ

Do you find the AFL appealing in any way based on what you've seen & know Spyder?
08-29-2015, 07:15 AM
(08-29-2015 07:07 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Do you find the AFL appealing in any way based on what you've seen & know Spyder?

As it's a game predominantly played by Australians my guess would be no.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
08-29-2015, 10:18 AM
(08-29-2015 07:15 AM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  As it's a game predominantly played by Australians my guess would be no.

And predominately played by a select few Australians - namely the Southern and Western states.
08-29-2015, 02:37 PM
(08-29-2015 07:07 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Do you find the AFL appealing in any way based on what you've seen & know Spyder?
I honestly haven't watched enough to form an opinion. It seems to favor the tall high jumpers like basketball, as opposed to rugby which favors more fast and powerful athletes like football.

Is that a fair assessment?

08-29-2015, 09:49 PM
(08-29-2015 02:37 PM)Spyder Wrote:  I honestly haven't watched enough to form an opinion. It seems to favor the tall high jumpers like basketball, as opposed to rugby which favors more fast and powerful athletes like football.

It involves much more than just being big & strong. In regards to alot of the football codes it's a very free flowing sport without alot of stop, starting & stopping. The guys have become more athletes than footballers over the years in the AFL.
08-30-2015, 06:11 PM
(08-29-2015 02:37 PM)Spyder Wrote:  I honestly haven't watched enough to form an opinion. It seems to favor the tall high jumpers like basketball, as opposed to rugby which favors more fast and powerful athletes like football.

Nope. The taller players that can jump are usually key position players like a tall forward/defender or a ruckman (like the centre in basketball).
But what everybody does need is great endurance, but you have different players all varying in height.
A lot of midfielders are of average height, anywhere from 175cm (5"7 or so)-191cm (6"2). There are even small forwards which are very important to stucture and to support the big key position forwards (like I mentioned above), as the bigger players create contests in the air and collisions and when the ball falls to ground, you need these smaller crumbing forwards that win the ball on the ground to also create and kick goals.
08-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Do you guys have AFL little leagues over there, or is the AFL the only place that the game is played?

UPDATE:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-decision...52110.html

08-31-2015, 04:04 AM
(08-30-2015 09:38 PM)Spyder Wrote:  Do you guys have AFL little leagues over there, or is the AFL the only place that the game is played?

UPDATE:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-decision...52110.html

What do you mean by little leagues?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)