Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Racial Slur Database
10-31-2015, 08:56 PM
RE: Racial Slur Database
I understand what you're saying Snoop, but those are a little different. What I'm referring to is self-identification. You're describing external identification.

Confusion regarding mis-identification from external obervers is easily remedied. You simply correct the observer. Perhaps educate them on what it means to be American.

I was referring to people that have an internal identity crisis, or more simply, self-misidentification. I inderstand for those with Asian heritage who might look different than the stereotypical "American", it might be a little rougher growing up.

But for the so-called Irish, German, Italian, etc... among us, I really struggle to understand what exactly makes them self-identify as such, when culturally, ethnically, and nationally they are clearly American.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2015, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2015 10:17 PM by Snoop.)
(10-31-2015 08:56 PM)Warlord Wrote:  I understand what you're saying Snoop, but those are a little different. What I'm referring to is self-identification. You're describing external identification.

Confusion regarding mis-identification from external obervers is easily remedied. You simply correct the observer. Perhaps educate them on what it means to be American.

I was referring to people that have an internal identity crisis, or more simply, self-misidentification. I inderstand for those with Asian heritage who might look different than the stereotypical "American", it might be a little rougher growing up.

But for the so-called Irish, German, Italian, etc... among us, I really struggle to understand what exactly makes them self-identify as such, when culturally, ethnically, and nationally they are clearly American.

Ah gotcha. It's a good question. My best guess would be because the US is still relatively young and we have yet to fully integrate. Probably won't change all that much within our lifetimes.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Stop me if I get too personal Snoop, but what was the most challenging aspect for you growing up in America? Again, I ask because I'll have a son or daughter someday growing up in very similar circumstances.

Did you ever truly feel "American", and if not, why not? And was there anything anyone could have done to make your life easier?

P.S. I got around to watching that movie you recommended, Hari-Kiri. Overall I emjoyed it, but it really made me want to see the original for comparison.
11-01-2015, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 12:22 AM by JONdaCON.)
I'm Italian and Puerto Rican.. And I've been to Both..

Guido has always been a slur until fuccing Jersey Shore decided to use it as a form of affection. Fuxxing Jersey bastards.

Warlord to answer your question.. I've always felt American but I also feel like its a disservice not know about your heritage... I've gone to PR at least 20x in my lifetime and Italy 2wice.

I've seen where my family grew up and eaten the REAL food not the Americanized version.. I've learned the language, about the culture and a bit of the politics and what goes on nationally.

Its embarrassing as hell meeting Puerto Ricans who can't speak Spanish.. Kinda pisses me off.

I've always tried to stay close to my nationalities so they don't get forgotten down the line.. In a way, I don't want my kids to be American, as in white, no offense to anyone, I just feel like they should know who they are and where we come from and be proud of their heritage..

My daughter is 7 and we listen to Salsa, eat PR food and I show her a lot of Family pictures... She LOVES her PR side.

They Italian side is a little harder to introduce since we only go to Europe about once a year, as oppose to 3 trips to PR a year.
11-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Those Jersey Shore D-Bags took it back for us like Richard Prior did the N-word. (sorry for typing "the N-word")

I went to Rome and was treated magnificently. I don't really identify as Italian, but my heritage most certainly is. I don't see it any differently than when the boys came to Ellis Island and settled together in particular neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods still exist today, as do others in different parts of the country. I think that's one of the best parts of America...the melting pot. We have cultures from everywhere in the world. Everywhere. Name any culture in the world, and there is a neighborhood somewhere in the country filled with nothing but them.

Describing yourself from your heritage is nothing more than that...a relatively easy descriptor. When Snoop told us that he was Taiwanese, we really didn't need to know that he was THE Nick Wong to know what he looked like. Same with every person that ever told you that he was Irish. You KNOW that fucker has red hair, an aversion to sun, and a small pecker.

Anyway, back to your question. I stayed in Rome for a week, and had the time of my life. We didn't just do the tourist stuff either. We went where the locals hung out, experienced the nightlife, and did the whole "when in Rome" deal. Not once was I treated like an outsider. Everyone made me feel welcome. I ended that trip getting engaged to my wife in the old Gladiator barracks next to the Colosseum. A fucking amazing sight that I highly recommend to anyone into combat sports.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
11-01-2015, 03:06 AM
I'm Australian and consider myself Australian, though parents, 2nd and 3rd generation are all from Chile and were born there. Me and my cousins were the first to be born outside of Chile.
I have never been to Chile, and I understand spanish though don't speak it so great. Though I consider myself an Australian. Though I understand what people are asking when I get asked "where I'm from" or my "nationality". I just tell them that I was born in Australia but my parents are from Chile. That is all that they are really asking.

I'm not very patriotic as an Australian or Chilean, I am just grateful that I am lucky enough to be in such a great country. You can be proud to be part of a country you're in, but it isn't an achievement or an accomplishment or anything. I don't get people that act like a country they are from is some sort of an achievement. It's not like anyone has any kind of control on where they were born, it is just pure luck if you were lucky enough to have been brought in to an established country that have opportunity for you.
Immigrants are more likely to get victimised in certain countries. But in my mind, I actually think that the ones that worked their way to move away from 3rd world, poverty stricken or war torn country and move into established countries to provide a better future for their future children have more to be proud of than people that have been lucky enough (like me) to be born in a country that I live in. So I will never understand the moral high ground that some patriotic racists have about immigrants, like it is something that they personally own.
The only thing I don't like about some immigrants are ones that are not willing to adapt to their country of choice's culture or give something back and not just take.

But back to what Warlord was saying, I don't really identify myself with anything, I just see myself as a greatful Australian citizen with Chilean parents. Now that I am an adult, I have cooked things my parents used to make and I will continue cooking those things I have learned for my children to eat, and things that normal Australian's wouldn't be accustomed too. I was always very family orientated and when I see my dad, brother (yes Viper), uncles, aunties etc. I give them a hug and a kiss on the cheek and that is normal for me and I will do that with my son, though that is awkward with some cultures to hug and kiss you dad or brother on the cheek to show affection. There are heaps of little things that will be passed onto my son because that is just how I was raised and I don't know any different and I like.
I don't think it matters at all with what you identify yourself with. My children will be Australian and if asked what their "blood line, nationality, heritage, parents are from because you don't look like a typical 'Aussie'". They can just say that their dad is Chilean and mother is half Greek and half Irish, but they are Australian.
11-01-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm a hillbilly. Problem solved. Though i do get irritated when people call me a wop after hearing my last name.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
11-02-2015, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 01:15 AM by JONdaCON.)
That's Crazy Fitz.. I'd never pictured you to be Chilean!!.. Lol.

I mean here I am thinking your some big, white, clumsy, ugly, drunk Australian bastard..

But really you look like a big ass light skinned Mexican. Lol

@Spyder

Man Italy was amazing.. Rome is pure hustle and bustle... Kinda reminds me of NYC.

I LOVED Naples... The food in Tiscani is 10x better then the shit they serve in Rome.

Italian food and women are INCREDIBLE.

And the Colosseum was a true sight to see.. Of course I went through ever part of it..

The Sistine chapel was cool... I was really impressed with the detail of EVERYTHING. I think I took a thousand pictures and I absolutely hate taking pictures.

It's also crazy how many languages the people and the immigrants speak.
11-02-2015, 03:38 AM
(11-02-2015 01:06 AM)JONdaCON Wrote:  Man Italy was amazing.. Rome is pure hustle and bustle... Kinda reminds me of NYC.

I LOVED Naples... The food in Tiscani is 10x better then the shit they serve in Rome.

Italian food and women are INCREDIBLE.

And the Colosseum was a true sight to see.. Of course I went through ever part of it..

The Sistine chapel was cool... I was really impressed with the detail of EVERYTHING. I think I took a thousand pictures and I absolutely hate taking pictures.

It's also crazy how many languages the people and the immigrants speak.
There were a few dishes that I had in Rome that were VERY good. I had these Raviolis that were made with a few different types of cheeses, and served with a cream based/slightly cinnamon sauce. It was extraordinarily good. The first place I got a margherita pizza from left a lot to be desired. That was really the only bad plate that I ate while I was there though.

Funny story about my time at the Vatican. I have this thing where I need to take a shit at famous places that I visit. I forget how it started, but it's just something that I do. St Peter's Basilica is my crowned jewel. I took a dump in between the St Peter's tour and the Vatican museums. Big freakin mistake. Long story short...worst shitting experience of my life. Followed by an inadequate amount of wiping, followed by a 3hr trek through the Vatican museums until we finally got to see the Sistine Chapel. If monkey butt and swamp ass had a kid, that was me looking up at Michelangelo's masterpiece.

On a related note, Roman toilets are some of the worst designed devices that I have ever seen. I could not wait to get back to the States and shit in a normal toilet with some Angel Soft.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
11-02-2015, 05:50 AM
(11-02-2015 01:06 AM)JONdaCON Wrote:  That's Crazy Fitz.. I'd never pictured you to be Chilean!!.. Lol.

I mean here I am thinking your some big, white, clumsy, ugly, drunk Australian bastard..

But really you look like a big ass light skinned Mexican. Lol

I don't look very Chilean, like those short dark skinned types that look a bit like native indians. I think my lines had more of a European line in them. Most people aren't quite sure what I am, over my life I probably get Italian the most, though I definitely don't look like a typical South American lol.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)