Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

James Toney vs Denis Lebedev
10-19-2011, 12:02 AM
hahahaha, now we get the true feelings out. Toney was an awesome fighter in the 90's. He was also an awesome fighter from 2003-2005. You tell one thing James Toney has done in the past six years that makes you guys think he's going to beat a strong cruiserweight, who's a decent fighter. This dude was worked by Fres Oquendo, so yea it's a decent shot he could be outworked here. James Toney will sit on those ropes, shoulder role some shots, and won't do shit. I don't give a damn if he catches James. James ain't going to throw shots back, and he'll be outhustled. Sure, he'll look fine defensively, but if he's not countering well, then how does he win this fight? I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong about Toney. I just don't see a fighter who hasn't been relevant for six years beating a young strong cruiserweight at this point.

Spinks hasn't been relevant for a few years either. However, that's my username damnit lol. I thought about changing it, but whatever, I'll roll with it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Spyder Wrote:
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:Say what you want about Toney, but he did a good job in that movie. I forgot the name.
Ali? lol
Nah man this one.

10-19-2011, 12:06 AM
lol

LL will not like this one bit...

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Spyder Wrote:lol

LL will not like this one bit...
He can take it. And loves it.
10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:
Spyder Wrote:
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:Say what you want about Toney, but he did a good job in that movie. I forgot the name.
Ali? lol
Nah man this one.

You notice that fine ass bitch Charlize Theron grabbing his junk just gazing into his eyes!? Yeah... that's how Toney roles BITCH!!! lol
10-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Lil-Lightsout Wrote:
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:
Spyder Wrote:
Ali? lol
Nah man this one.

You notice that fine ass bitch Charlize Theron grabbing his junk just gazing into his eyes!? Yeah... that's how Toney roles BITCH!!! lol
LMFAO.

Bill Paxton is on the side, trying to casually get in on some of the action.
10-19-2011, 12:14 AM
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN Wrote:hahahaha, now we get the true feelings out. Toney was an awesome fighter in the 90's. He was also an awesome fighter from 2003-2005. You tell one thing James Toney has done in the past six years that makes you guys think he's going to beat a strong cruiserweight, who's a decent fighter. This dude was worked by Fres Oquendo, so yea it's a decent shot he could be outworked here. James Toney will sit on those ropes, shoulder role some shots, and won't do shit. I don't give a damn if he catches James. James ain't going to throw shots back, and he'll be outhustled. Sure, he'll look fine defensively, but if he's not countering well, then how does he win this fight? I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong about Toney. I just don't see a fighter who hasn't been relevant for six years beating a young strong cruiserweight at this point.

Spinks hasn't been relevant for a few years either. However, that's my username damnit lol. I thought about changing it, but whatever, I'll roll with it.
Here's my question:

Do you think Jones is a better and more effective fighter than Toney right now?

Roy almost beat Lebedev. Here was my scorecard from that fight:

You're saying you don't think Toney can do that well, if not better?

Lebedev has had one seriously good performance, against Marco Huck. Dealing with Toney is serious, unless he's just completely shot. There's nothing to really suggest that he's shot. Lazy for the last few years? Sure. Out of shape? Uh-huh. Lampley called him a "big fat tub of goo" and he was right.

But if a Roy Jones that is well past his best could do what he did with Lebedev, styles as different as they may be, I see nothing to make me do anything but pick Toney.

Like I said, though, he better stop Lebedev. I'd be stunned if he won a decision.
10-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Damn, Rom bringing the hammer!

lol

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Rom, in all fairness, I don't think we know if Toney has slipped as much as Roy. Sure, Roy had his moments, but in the end he was laid out motionless on the canvas. James Toney has not had a legitimate fight in boxing since 2008, against Fres Oquendo. That night, we saw Fres Oquendo bully Toney against the ropes and beat him. He's had two fights in three years, and it's not like they were anything special. Cmon man, Roy's last three opponents before Lebedev were Jeff Lacy, Danny Green, and Bernard Hopkins. I think that's a bit of a step up from Matthew Greer and Damon Reed. Point is, it's not fair to say that Toney is more effective at this point. He hasn't looked good for five years, and all of a sudden he's going to beat a strong cruiserweight.

This is a now sport. Toney was a legend in the 90's and he was an awesome fighter from 2003-2005. However, right now, Toney is 43 years old and took off a lot of pounds. I'm sure he's in shape, but as you get older the reflexes go. He's not Bernard Hopkins, as he hasn't kept his body in shape or stayed healthy. He won't be sharp in that ring because of inactivity. I don't think Toney is sharp enough to counter effectively in there. He's going to get bullied on the ropes worse than he did against Oquendo, and he'll lose.
10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't even know for sure that Toney is better fundamentally than RJJ at this stage, still early, but the difference between Jones and Toney at these points is that Toney is more durable, can take a punch and still has that confidence.
Toney looks like he has very poor footwork recently, he constantly looks off balanced and looks like he can be pushed over. Doesn't look stable on his feet.
Jones still can punch, has good hand speed. His downfall is his confidence, and unable to take a good punch. That makes the world of difference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bernard Hopkins-James Toney @ 160/175? ViperSniper 19 1,130 03-18-2020 02:19 PM
Last Post: Method
  James Toney at Heavyweight: How good was he? ViperSniper 21 13,280 04-21-2016 02:21 AM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear
  James Toney to fight in Melbourne against Lucas Browne Fitz 12 9,935 03-15-2013 12:09 AM
Last Post: KingEugene

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)