Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

UFC 202 Diaz/McGregor
08-24-2016, 05:31 PM
RE: UFC 202 Diaz/McGregor
Jon's pretty much on the point with his assessment of the scoring, especially with how subjective it can be for judges who don't know what they are watching.

Most of the judges score ignorantly because they don't know what they are watching. They'll award a wrestler an entire round because he got a takedown. Now, ideally, if you are able to attack from the guard, go for subs, and/or reverse and get back to your feet, those actions could potentially negate each other.

But they hardly ever do with judges, because they don't know any better.

I've literally seen dudes like Diego Sanchez win fights for doing nothing more than chasing his opponent around the ring and mean-mug him while catching punches with his face. All the judges see is forward movement, never the counter punches.

Pride scoring was so much better. They scored the fight as a whole, not round by round. And attempting to finish your opponent was scored infinitely higher than trying to wall-and-stall or lay-and-pray your way to a victory, as so often seen in the UFC. They also had yellow cards, which the ref would give a fighter if he was stalling or not pressing the action. (Yellow cards means he lost 10% of his purse.)

It's why Pride produced so many brutal ground-and-pounders like Fedor, Mark Coleman, Kerr, Randleman, and Rampage Jackson. They knew they had to hurt guys and finish them on the ground, or they'd get soccer kicked into oblivion and lose 10-20% of their purse to boot.

The UFC has really got to change their scoring system. It's been a big bone of contention for fans for many years now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Cheers guys!
08-25-2016, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 11:01 AM by JONdaCON.)
Exactly WAR.... thats why the most popular guys will always win close decisions.

There's that unspoken rule of "You have to BEAT the Champ"... and convincingly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-25-2016, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 11:21 PM by Method.)
(08-25-2016 12:28 AM)JONdaCON Wrote:  There's that unspoken rule of "You have to BEAT the Champ"... and convincingly.
Unfortunately, that legendary philosophy seems to grow w time. My old man used to recite that to in my early youth wen telling me about fights that occurred before I was born or before I was old enough to comprehend (usually in reference to Ali or whoever).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that philosophy in practice too much over my time on this planet and following the sport. Totally political and subjective.
08-25-2016, 07:45 AM
I have to bow to Warlord/JDC's knowledge (and many others) when it comes to MMA matters. However, I persoablly had no issue with Conor winning the fight. I felt he was the man who by and large got the better of the fight as it was fought. Diaz had the win in his sights but when he was on top didnt press it home enough for me. When he was lighting Conor up in 3 he let him off the hook for me.

Fights like that are frustrating specially for a fan of said fighter, when you can clearly see that the win was there, and he let it slip.

To my mind, Diaz by and large ALLOWED it to be scored as a boxing match and lost on that basis.
11-13-2016, 03:38 AM
McGregor scored another victory tonight. Dude simply outmatched Alvarez.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
11-13-2016, 06:39 AM
Eddie just couldn't see that left hand over the top.
11-13-2016, 11:37 AM
The Woodley vs Thompson was by far the best fight of the night...

Romeros stoppage of Weidman was brutal...

McGregor made it look easy vs Alvarez... every left hand sent him reeling.
12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Hey. Just incase noone has seen this..

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)