Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Official Danny Garcia vs Keith Thurman Thread
12-13-2016, 03:22 PM
RE: Official Danny Garcia vs Keith Thurman Thread
(12-12-2016 04:55 PM)JD Wrote:  I'm not sure you can say that.

Guys move up and beat great fighters too...like Mosley fighting a prime DLH jumping from 35 to 47. It netted us a great fight we would never had seen if he just stayed at lightweight.

But all that aside it's kind of irrelevant. The sport doesn't have a Pryor of Leonard of DLH...it has a crop of guys that can barely get TV dates at this point. So let's see the best fight regardless whether they are 10 pounds apart of not.

Our sport is dying and networks aren't interested in resuscitating it. The first sign of real trouble was Crawford - Postol ending up on PPV, that's compounded by Cotto - Kirkland not making the HBO cut.

You can always find exceptions to the rule (as I mentioned and gave examples of earlier)...but generally, the vast majority of fighters move up when there's no need to.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2016, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 11:57 PM by and the NEW.)
(12-12-2016 09:52 PM)Warlord Wrote:  So basically you want the Fertitta brothers to swoop in and save boxing the way they did the UFC?

As much as a lot of hardcore boxing fans claim to hate MMA in general, and the UFC in particular, there is no doubt the sport of Mixed Martial Arts is everything boxing fans wish boxing were. I can only think of a few superfights off the top of my head that never happened (Rickson vs Sakuraba). But even then, it was never about money. It was simply due to fighters retiring before the fights could materialize.

I don't like Conor McGregor by any means, but boxing would kill to have a guy like that right now. A guy who talks mad shit, knocks motherfuckers out cold, and who jumps up multiple weightclasses to save a fight card. Boxing is my first love but it's starting to feel like an ex-wife whose flaws are magnified and attributes are minimized in the face of a mistress who is younger, sexier, and better in bed.

No doubt. The UFC has become a huge franchise like the NBA, NFL etc. Boxing needs to adopt a similar model or it will become completely marginal (as is currently happening).

Unfortunately there are so many millionaires coming into the mix in boxing, like JayZ, 50 cent, Haymon, Mayweather, Oscar, along with the old war horse Arum, and they are all in a shitfight with competing egos and ideas on how they want to run their operations.

The more of these guys that just drop out, the cheaper it will be for somebody to buy it out on mass.

The only thing that needs to happen is a fighters union, which is what the UFC is lacking which allows it to rip its fighters off. No idea WTF these guys are doing. McGregor is basically standing upto the establishment single handidly.
12-14-2016, 07:16 AM
(12-13-2016 03:22 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  You can always find exceptions to the rule (as I mentioned and gave examples of earlier)...but generally, the vast majority of fighters move up when there's no need to.

Black

Well they do it for money...often times in the past, the money was based upon a high demand fight.

The other scenario is that they outgrew their weight, or just got lazy. Either way, in this day and age, I don't give a shit about legacy - I just want good fights because the sport needs them. I honestly don't remember a less interesting year in the sport than 2016.
12-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Exactly. I've been saying 2016 has been one of the worst years in boxing I recall. Even De La Hoya called 2016 the worst year in boxing history! November gave us two meaningful fights with one being a let down due to seeing a No Mas & that's it! Next year is already looking better though!
12-14-2016, 02:21 PM
(12-14-2016 07:16 AM)JD Wrote:  Well they do it for money...often times in the past, the money was based upon a high demand fight.

The other scenario is that they outgrew their weight, or just got lazy. Either way, in this day and age, I don't give a shit about legacy - I just want good fights because the sport needs them. I honestly don't remember a less interesting year in the sport than 2016.

Amen to that.

2016 was shitty and a whole calendar year went by in which rival stars in the same divisions from Dec 2015 again avoided each other this year.

One of the few good points is the emergence of a genuine heavyweight star in Joshua. Let's hope he can be the torch carrier for 2017.

Black
12-15-2016, 03:24 AM
2017 feels like it is going to be a big year. The promotors are more willing to work together than ever (Arum working with both Oscar and Haymon now) and PBC fighters just told they are all going in tough from now on, starting with Charlo v Williams the other day, (which was a fukcing fantastic fight) and Garcia v Thurman next year.
12-15-2016, 04:31 AM
No doubt that there is alot that can happen in the near future for boxing. Hopefully Al follows through with his word and we can get promoters working to make the best fights.
12-15-2016, 06:32 AM
(12-12-2016 09:52 PM)Warlord Wrote:  So basically you want the Fertitta brothers to swoop in and save boxing the way they did the UFC?

As much as a lot of hardcore boxing fans claim to hate MMA in general, and the UFC in particular, there is no doubt the sport of Mixed Martial Arts is everything boxing fans wish boxing were. I can only think of a few superfights off the top of my head that never happened (Rickson vs Sakuraba). But even then, it was never about money. It was simply due to fighters retiring before the fights could materialize.

I don't like Conor McGregor by any means, but boxing would kill to have a guy like that right now. A guy who talks mad shit, knocks motherfuckers out cold, and who jumps up multiple weightclasses to save a fight card. Boxing is my first love but it's starting to feel like an ex-wife whose flaws are magnified and attributes are minimized in the face of a mistress who is younger, sexier, and better in bed.

Spot on. I don't mind UFC now, and even though I don't watch it religiously and only watched a few cards in the last year or 2, I have been much more interested in those fights that I watched than any boxing fights in that time frame.
They promote it so much better, they make fights that should happen, happen. It's the perfect model that I wish boxing would one day base itself on.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians in boxing. You have sanctioning bodies, promoters and fighters all wanting to make a buck and protect their reputation and nobody wants to work together.
The sanctioning body's make the sport a joke by having multiple titles per organisation. We have 4 major sanctioning body's with multiple belts and all wanting money by making a fee for fighters defending their belts.

The promoters are fucked as well, they want the consumer (us) to pay for shitty fights with predictable results and expect us to pay top dollar for a fight that is usually a mismatch or not even in the top 3 to 5 possible fights that is available to their fighter. And constantly protect their fighter from any fight that they may lose or look bad in.

Then there are the fighters, which to be fair, is probably also under instructions from the promoters. But if they are really good and marketable, they will not get put in dangerous fights or fights where they could look bad in, and if we do have a fighter that is really good, but maybe not marketable....they go to great lengths to get a good pay check by going into a fight they will be disadvantaged in and ruin their reputation, which is all for a good pay check.

Boxing is terrible at the moment, and I wish it had the same UFC model. I don't even think boxing needs great fighters, it just needs competitive and meaningful fights.
I think the heavyweight division demonstrated this after Fury upset Klitschko. The division is still garbage. But a lot more interest has been shown to the heavyweight division since Wlad lost and the obvious results are no longer there. With the likes of Fury, Joshua, Wilder, Wlad , Povetkin, Parker etc have created more competitive fights and more interest.

Boxing needs competitive and good fights, protecting fighters and trying to portray them as the next ATG does not work. Just put them in with the best fight available and the rest will work itself out. Fighters and promoters need to realise that an ATG can't be manufactured. The consumer will pay if the best available fight happens, and won't care if they suffer a loss. If there is an ATG out there, the cream will rise and they won't need protection.

The whole sport needs a makeover, and a part of me really hopes that the sport hits rock bottom in a big way, just so we may see a change. But as it is, I find it so bland, boring and predictable.
01-18-2017, 10:28 PM
“I remember this kid from the amateurs,” Thurman said. “I know that they remember me, too. And I applaud him for everything he’s accomplished in his career. But most of his accomplishments were at 140 [pounds], not 147. And that’s why he’s trying to make a statement, stepping up March 4th. The only problem is he signed the wrong contract. Your boy Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman got this. ‘One Time’ all the time, KOs for life. I’ve got two 12-round fights in the Barclays. Third time’s a charm. Danny Garcia, you’re getting knocked out.”

Thurman reminded the media and others in attendance Wednesday that he beat another fighter trained by his father, Shawn Porter, in his last fight. The Clearwater, Florida, native’s victory over Porter, a 12-round unanimous decision June 25 at Barclays Center, also was broadcast by CBS.
Ken Porter, Shawn Porter’s father/trainer, was much more respectful toward Thurman than Angel Garcia. But Ruben Guerrero, father/trainer of Robert Guerrero, also talked trash to Thurman before Thurman soundly defeated Robert Guerrero in their March 2015 fight in Las Vegas.
“This is the third father I’ve gotta deal with, the third daddy,” Thurman said to Angel Garcia. “So this boy right now, this dude – you’re gonna talk sh*t, right? The same way that you used to wipe sh*t off of Danny’s ass when he was a child, right? When he was a little baby, you used to handle his sh*t, right?

“You used to handle his sh*t when he was in his diapers, right? And now you’re trying to handle his sh*t now. You ain’t nothing but a loud-mouthed chump. That’s why your boy keeps his mouth closed. … I’m gonna shut this dude up, man, put his son to sleep. Let’s see how he talks when his son’s laying out on the blue mat.”
- See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/keith-thurman...MSJ92.dpuf

Damn this is gonna be good.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2017, 02:58 AM
This could really be a great fight. I don't think either guy is a great fighter. But these styles should mesh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Errol Spence Jr-Danny Garcia on December 5th ViperSniper 41 2,799 12-07-2020 07:54 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Keith Thurman vs Manny Pacquiao July 20th JONdaCON 161 5,725 07-24-2019 02:12 PM
Last Post: JD
  Marcos Maidana-Danny Garcia at their best. ViperSniper 13 697 07-01-2019 07:12 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)